Mystery Architecture B

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: TX

Mystery Architecture B

Postby Adi1008 » August 4th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Mystery Architecture B: At the beginning of the event, teams will be given a bag of building materials and instructions for designing and building a device that can be tested.

Mystery Architecture Wiki

Mystery Architecture Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2017 (Trial), 2018
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

mystarch2019
State: -

Re: Mystery Architecture B

Postby mystarch2019 » September 23rd, 2018, 3:17 pm

HI, I had a question on the arches and tunnels. Is there any information on what exactly is expected of these structures? For example, would the arches be free-standing, or as part of a bridge for example? If the primary dimension of the tunnel is the longest portion of covered part, then what is its base? Anyone have any ideas?

jlordhe
Division: C
State: CA

Postby jlordhe » September 25th, 2018, 6:35 pm

This is basically like Write it Do it for the doers
Events I Might Do and Want to Do: Fossils, Wright Stuff, Herpetology, Water Quality, Boomilever

heiber

Postby heiber » October 15th, 2018, 8:39 am

mystarch2019 wrote:HI, I had a question on the arches and tunnels. Is there any information on what exactly is expected of these structures? For example, would the arches be free-standing, or as part of a bridge for example? If the primary dimension of the tunnel is the longest portion of covered part, then what is its base? Anyone have any ideas?

Second this question. After coaching this event last year, I am a hard time visualizing the structures for this year:

What is the difference between an ELEVATED bridge and last year? Is it that this year they are going to always add the hight to the primary measurement vs. just the length?
For the Arch, is this really the same as a bridge but measuring to the apex of the bottom supports?
For the Tunnel, I can't imagine how this may be run. Seems to me the only limiting factor is the "covering" that will be used to enclose the tunnel. But understand how this will be differentiated if there is no load.

Yes I know part of the challenge of the event are the unknows - but without having some understanding of the types of builds, it is very hard to practice and know what to learn.
Thanks for any insight.

LittleMissNyan
Division: B
Location: faceplanting in the hallway and screaming I'M A BLUEBERRY

Postby LittleMissNyan » October 24th, 2018, 2:06 pm

- Battery Buggy 9/-
- Game On 7/-
- Mystery Architecture 4/-

National Cahedral School/Regionals/States hopefuly
Next Competition: Regionals somewhere

8-) SMASH ULTIMATE IS OUT BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 8-)

shri

Mystery Architecture B - cantilever fulcrum and counterbalance

Postby shri » November 18th, 2018, 5:00 pm

The rules manual says "If a cantilever is to be built, the event supervisor will supply the fulcrum, and provide a counterbalance." What are examples of a fulcrum and counterbalance? Would it be reasonable to practice with the edge of a table and a heavy book?

shri

Mystery Architecture B - enclosed tunnel

Postby shri » November 18th, 2018, 5:02 pm

The rules manual says that for a tunnel, the Primary Dimension could be the measurement of the longest continuously enclosed portion of the tunnel. What does enclosed mean? If you are building with popsicle sticks, there are gaps between the sticks? Is that ok?

heiber

Re: Mystery Architecture B - enclosed tunnel

Postby heiber » November 19th, 2018, 7:55 am

shri wrote:The rules manual says that for a tunnel, the Primary Dimension could be the measurement of the longest continuously enclosed portion of the tunnel. What does enclosed mean? If you are building with popsicle sticks, there are gaps between the sticks? Is that ok?

My plan for coaching this is to give them some kind of covering as well - either paper, a plastic bag or aluminum foil. Then we can measure the entire enclosed portion. I cannot think of another way this will work. And then to test it - maybe something like passing a ping pong ball attached to the end of a ruler through the tunnel.

Would love to hear other thoughts.

Cow481
State: PA

Re: Mystery Architecture B - cantilever fulcrum and counterbalance

Postby Cow481 » November 19th, 2018, 10:20 am

shri wrote:The rules manual says "If a cantilever is to be built, the event supervisor will supply the fulcrum, and provide a counterbalance." What are examples of a fulcrum and counterbalance? Would it be reasonable to practice with the edge of a table and a heavy book?

I guess that a edge of a table would be okay but I think that a heavy book is too heavy, maybe a phone?
2017 Events: JV Tower, JV Bottle Rocket
2018 Events: Tower, JV Herpetology, JV Dynamic Planet
2019 Events: Boomilever, Elastic Launched Glider, Mystery Architecture

Medals
Invitationals: 4
Regionals: 2
States: 1
Nationals: 1 :D

shri

Re: Mystery Architecture B - cantilever fulcrum and counterbalance

Postby shri » November 19th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Cow481 wrote:
shri wrote:The rules manual says "If a cantilever is to be built, the event supervisor will supply the fulcrum, and provide a counterbalance." What are examples of a fulcrum and counterbalance? Would it be reasonable to practice with the edge of a table and a heavy book?

I guess that a edge of a table would be okay but I think that a heavy book is too heavy, maybe a phone?

Thanks for the response!
If the counterbalance is light, that already puts a bound on the length of the cantilever. If the objective is to build the longest cantilever that can bear the given loaded, I feel the weight of the counterbalance should not matter.

LittleMissNyan
Location: faceplanting in the hallway and screaming I'M A BLUEBERRY

Postby LittleMissNyan » November 23rd, 2018, 9:47 am

Ok so

- My team only meets once a week
- We've spent all our time in the meetings on build events
- Invitational in December

I'm thinking of practicing some Mystery Architecture builds at home so we don't crash and burn. What materials would I need, and how would I do it in general?
- Battery Buggy 9/-
- Game On 7/-
- Mystery Architecture 4/-

National Cahedral School/Regionals/States hopefuly
Next Competition: Regionals somewhere

8-) SMASH ULTIMATE IS OUT BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 8-)

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » November 23rd, 2018, 2:40 pm

LittleMissNyan wrote:Ok so

- My team only meets once a week
- We've spent all our time in the meetings on build events
- Invitational in December

I'm thinking of practicing some Mystery Architecture builds at home so we don't crash and burn. What materials would I need, and how would I do it in general?

Ok, this is gonna be a long post... here goes...
Possible materials: Popsicle sticks, chopsticks, straws of all sizes, tape (remember that most Event Supervisors only give you small lengths, not the whole rolls), sheets of paper, string, cups, etc.
Of course, you don't know what they're gonna give you at competition. So you have to prepare for the unexpected. What my partner and I did was compile a list of different materials and categorize them. Below is the very basic list we used last year:

Attachment Materials: Thumb Tacks, Rubber Bands, Masking Tape, Scotch Tape, String, Paper Clips
Tier 1 Building Materials (10-25): Popsicle Sticks, No. 2 Pencils, Chopsticks, Slushy Straws, Bendy Straws
Tier 2 Building Materials (5-10): Paper Cups, Printer Paper, Notebook Paper
Tier 3 Building Materials (Miscellaneous): 1 Sheet Cardboard, 2 Paper Plates

We used a random spinner to choose one or two materials from each category. This way, we could guarantee that we had no practice sessions that only had all attachment materials. That would not be a good thing since it's pretty hard to build a structure with only tape, string, and rubber bands. Next, after identifying the materials we were gonna use, we used more random spinners to determine the quantity/amount of each material (for tape/string, select a length). Thus, we always had attachment materials and building materials every practice session, and they were pretty much always different.

Hope this answers your question, and I also hope this makes sense... ;) ;)
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Thermodynamics
"Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson
Rest in peace Balsa Man. You were a great man. :cry:

shri

How will an arch be specified?

Postby shri » December 2nd, 2018, 9:36 pm

How will the primary dimension of an arch be defined an measured? This is the "sample task" in the rules manual.

For an arch, the Primary Dimension could be measured:
i. with no load, from the base to the highest point of the arch
ii. with a load, from the base to the highest point of the load

However, nothing in there differentiates it from a tower. I am thinking there will be some constraint that will require an architecture different from a tower. For example, I am thinking something like https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ToX ... sp=sharing where the goal will be to maximize the size of the red rectangle (without changing its width). Is this along the right lines?

Regards,
Shri

Cow481
State: PA

Postby Cow481 » December 3rd, 2018, 4:57 am

I think what defines an arch would be that there are two “areas” of suport with something connecting them and it can not touch the ground between two points that the event supervisor gives.
2017 Events: JV Tower, JV Bottle Rocket
2018 Events: Tower, JV Herpetology, JV Dynamic Planet
2019 Events: Boomilever, Elastic Launched Glider, Mystery Architecture

Medals
Invitationals: 4
Regionals: 2
States: 1
Nationals: 1 :D

heiber

Postby heiber » December 3rd, 2018, 5:42 am

Cow481 wrote:I think what defines an arch would be that there are two “areas” of suport with something connecting them and it can not touch the ground between two points that the event supervisor gives.

That is what I am thinking and coaching. Essentially a tower with only 2 sides on either end.

Return to “Lab Events”