Mystery Architecture B

builderguy135
Division: B
State: NJ

Re: Mystery Architecture B

Postby builderguy135 » February 14th, 2019, 4:35 pm

wzhang5460 wrote:Greetings my fellow Mystery Architecture legends, if you want some practice and see how you compare to other teams, below is a link for a practice prompt made by our good friends over at Community. Feel free to add your score if you choose to participate. Good luck and have fun.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fPD ... grM-c/edit

^^^ No time limit, by the way.
Community '18, HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain ;)
Follow us! https://www.instagram.com/dmahscio/
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019!
Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Elastic Launched Glider - 2nd, '19
Mystery Architecture - 3rd, '19
Road Scholar - 4th, '19
Battery Buggy - 4th, '19

LittleMissNyan
State: MD

Postby LittleMissNyan » February 15th, 2019, 5:55 am

wzhang5460 wrote:Greetings my fellow Mystery Architecture legends, if you want some practice and see how you compare to other teams, below is a link for a practice prompt made by our good friends over at Community. Feel free to add your score if you choose to participate. Good luck and have fun.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fPD ... grM-c/edit

Cool! I made some edits if you don't mind.
Poyo! (^-^)

- Battery Buggy 9/3/5/5
- Game On 7/1/2/7
- Mystery Architecture 4/oof/NA/NA
- Aerial Scrambler NA/NA/2/NA

National Cathedral School/Oakdale High/Regionals/sTATES
Won Most Creative 2019!
Also a Builder Cult member

volunteerDad

Postby volunteerDad » February 19th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Hello, I'm coaching for the first time and glad to see that there's some conversation on these. I also have no clue what to expect. Here's my question. For a tunnel, I'm assuming we need essentially a floor, two walls and a ceiling, with openings at both ends, correct? This isn't an elevated bridge tunnel or just something like that. This tunnel just sits flat on the floor or table?

heiber
State: -

Postby heiber » February 21st, 2019, 12:51 pm

volunteerDad wrote:Hello, I'm coaching for the first time and glad to see that there's some conversation on these. I also have no clue what to expect. Here's my question. For a tunnel, I'm assuming we need essentially a floor, two walls and a ceiling, with openings at both ends, correct? This isn't an elevated bridge tunnel or just something like that. This tunnel just sits flat on the floor or table?

My guess is for any tunnel it will be on the table as a base. Making it elevated would be very challenging. It is up to the event coordinator to decide if it needs to be a fully enclosed tunnel (with a floor) or if the table can act as the floor (thus requiring only 3 sides to enclose).

DatSciolyBoi
State: CA

Postby DatSciolyBoi » February 28th, 2019, 3:47 pm

volunteerDad wrote:Hello, I'm coaching for the first time and glad to see that there's some conversation on these. I also have no clue what to expect. Here's my question. For a tunnel, I'm assuming we need essentially a floor, two walls and a ceiling, with openings at both ends, correct? This isn't an elevated bridge tunnel or just something like that. This tunnel just sits flat on the floor or table?

The students might be asked to hold it vertically so that the object can be taken through it by gravity.
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Events: Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design,
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets

newtoscioly

Postby newtoscioly » March 2nd, 2019, 7:42 am

can anyone share some ideas of tests for cantilever and arches including supply list. think out of the box is getting harder and harder.

heiber

Postby heiber » March 8th, 2019, 8:07 am

newtoscioly wrote:can anyone share some ideas of tests for cantilever and arches including supply list. think out of the box is getting harder and harder.

Here are a couple I have come up with. When I put events together I try to come up with a specific "challenge" - meaning one thing that will be the hardest part such as: limited amount of tape, heaving weight, limited materials. That way they can focus on techniques to address that specific challenge in the practice.

Create the longest free-standing cantilever that can hold 1 AAA battery. Counterweight is 1 D battery. Cantilever must rest on bucket and not be secured. Neither battery can be secured to the tower and must be held for a minimum of 10 seconds. Materials:
• 12 playing cards
• 8 straws
• 30 cm string
• 60 cm masking tape
Primary measurement: Longest length from edge of bucket to AAA battery
Secondary measurement: Shortest length from edge of bucket to edge of cantilever on the base.

Create the longest free-standing cantilever that can hold 2 AA batteries. Counterweight is 12 oz can. Cantilever must rest on the table and not be secured. Neither battery can be secured to the arch and must be held for a minimum of 10 seconds. Materials:
• 4 index cards
• 10 stirrers
• 60 cm string
• 60 cm masking tape
Primary measurement: Longest length from edge of table to closest battery
Secondary measurement: Shortest length from edge of table to edge of cantilever on the base.

Make the highest arch that can support a golf ball. Arch and golf ball cannot cannot be secured to the table. Arch supports must be at least 10 cm apart. Materials:
• 40 straws
• 5 popsicle sticks
• 4 pipe cleaners
• 4 cups
• Masking tape
Primary measurement: Height from the middle of the arch to the lowest cross bracing.
Secondary measurement: Widest distance of the supports

Make an arch that can support a golf ball. Arch and golf ball cannot be secured to the table. The golf ball must be placed within 3 cms of the center of the arch. Materials:
• 8 straws
• 5 popsicle sticks
• 5 rubber bands
• 1 wood board
• 45 cm masking tape
• Cannot use bag or instructions
Primary measurement: Combined dimensions of the height plus width
Secondary measurement: Tallest arch

heiber

Postby heiber » March 8th, 2019, 8:08 am

heiber wrote:
newtoscioly wrote:can anyone share some ideas of tests for cantilever and arches including supply list. think out of the box is getting harder and harder.

Here are a couple I have come up with. When I put events together I try to come up with a specific "challenge" - meaning one thing that will be the hardest part such as: limited amount of tape, heaving weight, limited materials. That way they can focus on techniques to address that specific challenge in the practice.

Create the longest free-standing cantilever that can hold 1 AAA battery. Counterweight is 1 D battery. Cantilever must rest on bucket and not be secured. Neither battery can be secured to the tower and must be held for a minimum of 10 seconds. Materials:
• 12 playing cards
• 8 straws
• 30 cm string
• 60 cm masking tape
Primary measurement: Longest length from edge of bucket to AAA battery
Secondary measurement: Shortest length from edge of bucket to edge of cantilever on the base.

Create the longest free-standing cantilever that can hold 2 AA batteries. Counterweight is 12 oz can. Cantilever must rest on the table and not be secured. Neither battery can be secured to the cantilever and must be held for a minimum of 10 seconds. Materials:
• 4 index cards
• 10 stirrers
• 60 cm string
• 60 cm masking tape
Primary measurement: Longest length from edge of table to closest battery
Secondary measurement: Shortest length from edge of table to edge of cantilever on the base.

Make the highest arch that can support a golf ball. Arch and golf ball cannot cannot be secured to the table. Arch supports must be at least 10 cm apart. Materials:
• 40 straws
• 5 popsicle sticks
• 4 pipe cleaners
• 4 cups
• Masking tape
Primary measurement: Height from the middle of the arch to the lowest cross bracing.
Secondary measurement: Widest distance of the supports

Make an arch that can support a golf ball. Arch and golf ball cannot be secured to the table. The golf ball must be placed within 3 cms of the center of the arch. Materials:
• 8 straws
• 5 popsicle sticks
• 5 rubber bands
• 1 wood board
• 45 cm masking tape
• Cannot use bag or instructions
Primary measurement: Combined dimensions of the height plus width
Secondary measurement: Tallest arch

newtoscioly

Postby newtoscioly » March 8th, 2019, 9:40 am

Thank you HEIBER! this is great. I really do appreciate you taking time to post this, thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

heiber

Postby heiber » March 8th, 2019, 11:24 am

newtoscioly wrote:Thank you HEIBER! this is great. I really do appreciate you taking time to post this, thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

No problem. With each build I try and focus on one main objective I want them to learn and put together a material list fo that.such as: maximum strength; utilizing tension; scarcity of tape; different ways to use paper......

Also, after the team has gotten experience, I ask them to put together build packages for the team to use at practice. Then you get more ideas and variety and they have to think about how the event works.

mvsomacoach

Postby mvsomacoach » March 10th, 2019, 1:25 pm

heiber wrote:
newtoscioly wrote:Thank you HEIBER! this is great. I really do appreciate you taking time to post this, thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

No problem. With each build I try and focus on one main objective I want them to learn and put together a material list fo that.such as: maximum strength; utilizing tension; scarcity of tape; different ways to use paper......

Also, after the team has gotten experience, I ask them to put together build packages for the team to use at practice. Then you get more ideas and variety and they have to think about how the event works.

i agree, thank you for the examples!

in your exercise can you suggest how the arch can be built?
i think the rules say that arch has to be curved and symmetrical.

just wondering how to make a curve with straight members.
cut them into pieces and create a linear approximated curve?

also even if starting with round members trying to create arch like shape results in kinking the curve and weakening it.

lindsmaurer
State: OH

Postby lindsmaurer » April 6th, 2019, 3:45 pm

mvsomacoach wrote:
heiber wrote:

also even if starting with round members trying to create arch like shape results in kinking the curve and weakening it.

Yeah... making arches has been a challenge. Also, the rules aren't clear on whether the arch has to curve all the way or just at the top. Does anyone know how arches are being determined as "curved" or not?
Solon MS/ DMAH

Events:
2018:
Dynamic Planet
Herp
Road Scholar
Rocks and Minerals
Mystery Architecture

2019:
Circuit Lab
Road Scholar
Mystery Architecture
Herp (invite season only)
Battery (invite season only)

Placements:
Regionals/States/Nats:
Circuit: 1/1/_
Road: 3/1/_
Mystery: 1/2/_

waffletree
Division: C
State: PA

Postby waffletree » April 6th, 2019, 6:13 pm

lindsmaurer wrote:Yeah... making arches has been a challenge. Also, the rules aren't clear on whether the arch has to curve all the way or just at the top. Does anyone know how arches are being determined as "curved" or not?

at rustin we had arches, and the event supervisors said that any no section of the arch could have a flat surface greater than 5cm long, otherwise you’d be tiered.
hhs
builder cult vp /// #treegang

builderguy135
State: NJ

Postby builderguy135 » April 6th, 2019, 7:00 pm

lindsmaurer wrote:
mvsomacoach wrote:
heiber wrote:No problem. With each build I try and focus on one main objective I want them to learn and put together a material list fo that.such as: maximum strength; utilizing tension; scarcity of tape; different ways to use paper......

Yeah... making arches has been a challenge. Also, the rules aren't clear on whether the arch has to curve all the way or just at the top. Does anyone know how arches are being determined as "curved" or not?

What do you mean by "curving just at the top"?
Community '18, HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain ;)
Follow us! https://www.instagram.com/dmahscio/
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019!
Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Elastic Launched Glider - 2nd, '19
Mystery Architecture - 3rd, '19
Road Scholar - 4th, '19
Battery Buggy - 4th, '19

waffletree
Division: C
State: PA

Postby waffletree » April 6th, 2019, 7:04 pm

builderguy135 wrote:
lindsmaurer wrote:
mvsomacoach wrote:

What do you mean by "curving just at the top"?

i think she means like a “n” shape, with the top half curved, but the “legs” straight, like you’d do for an elevated bridge
hhs
builder cult vp /// #treegang

Return to “Lab Events”