Codebusters C

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: TX

Codebusters C

Postby Adi1008 » August 4th, 2018, 11:41 pm

Codebusters C: Teams will cryptanalze (decode) encrypted messages using cryptanalysis techniques and show skill with advanced ciphers by encrypting or decrypting a message.

Codebusters Wiki

Codebusters Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2018 (Trial)
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Re: Codebusters C

Postby Riptide » September 3rd, 2018, 8:43 pm

It seems like you can now get points for a question even if you have more than 2 errors (100 points deducted for each error after). How does this work for the first question with the time bonus? If you answer it with lets say 3 errors would it be counted right with a deduction of 100 points or must it be within 2 errors in order it to be counted correct for the bonus?
Seven Lakes High School '19
Seven Lakes Junior High '15

Events
2019: Sounds of Music/Codebusters
2018: Game On/Helicopters/Forensics/Hovercraft/Fermi Questions

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 4th, 2018, 5:53 am

Riptide wrote:It seems like you can now get points for a question even if you have more than 2 errors (100 points deducted for each error after). How does this work for the first question with the time bonus? If you answer it with lets say 3 errors would it be counted right with a deduction of 100 points or must it be within 2 errors in order it to be counted correct for the bonus?

If the first question is simply numerical, I would refer you to 4.b.iii.

However, if the answer is non-numerical I agree there is ambiguity. I would assume they mean to apply the bonus if you have two or fewer errors (as this would result in full credit). However, an FAQ would be beneficial.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

terence.tan
State: NY

Postby terence.tan » September 4th, 2018, 5:19 pm

why do codebusters and circuit lab conflict. I am pretty sure that may people do both events
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Wright Stuff.

venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NC

Postby venules » September 4th, 2018, 5:24 pm

terence.tan wrote:why do codebusters and circuit lab conflict. I am pretty sure that may people do both events

This is the first year that Codebusters is a national event, so there is no sure way of knowing how many people wish to participate in both events.

l0lit
State: IN

Postby l0lit » September 8th, 2018, 7:43 pm

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Riptide wrote:It seems like you can now get points for a question even if you have more than 2 errors (100 points deducted for each error after). How does this work for the first question with the time bonus? If you answer it with lets say 3 errors would it be counted right with a deduction of 100 points or must it be within 2 errors in order it to be counted correct for the bonus?

If the first question is simply numerical, I would refer you to 4.b.iii.

However, if the answer is non-numerical I agree there is ambiguity. I would assume they mean to apply the bonus if you have two or fewer errors (as this would result in full credit). However, an FAQ would be beneficial.

According to the rules (3.i.i), the timed question is an Aristocrat (mono--alphabetic with spaces) with or without hint. Last year's National trial and I believe the Indiana State trial as well took the timed question at full value if there were less than three errors (see Wisconsin 2018 trial rules, 3.d). In this case nicholasmaurer would be correct.

Since it would not make sense to accept a cryptogram and then deduct "bonus" points, I think that they will look for the same thing this year. Of course, an official clarification would help.
List of compiled Science Olympiad tests here
* Others coming soon...

l0lit
State: IN

Postby l0lit » September 8th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Does anyone have an idea what is expected in the RSA cipher (3.f.iv)? It seems to complicated for encryption or decryption (especially with a 4 function) so what would be tested? I think either a mathematical crypt-analysis or a basic knowledge of how it works might be it.
List of compiled Science Olympiad tests here
* Others coming soon...

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 9th, 2018, 7:56 am

l0lit wrote:Does anyone have an idea what is expected in the RSA cipher (3.f.iv)? It seems to complicated for encryption or decryption (especially with a 4 function) so what would be tested? I think either a mathematical crypt-analysis or a basic knowledge of how it works might be it.

Yes, it might be fairly complicated as this is a topic reserved for the state/national tournaments. The way I interpret 3.a. I would not expect basic knowledge questions on any CodeBusters exams - everything should be application questions where you are encrypting or decrypting messages using the methods listed in 3.e and 3.f
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Riptide » September 13th, 2018, 9:34 am

trdd wrote:Per (f.vi.) at least one of them has to be in Spanish for State and Nationals. So here's an easy standard one in Spanish. It is the first verse of a ridiculous hyperbolic poem: Try to solve it by hand without computers and post how fast you did.
FV QVBF HA QVN PRTNEN GBQN SHRAGR QR YHM, RY HAVIREFB FR NYHZOENEVN PBA RFBF BWBF DHR GVRARF GH.
trdd wrote:This one should be an easy one for anyone out there:
GUVF VF N FGNAQNEQ NAQ PBZZBA EBG GUVEGRRA PNRFNE PVCURE. UBJ DHVPXYL QVQ LBH FBYIR VG JVGUBHG HFVAT BAYVAR ERFBHEPRF?

These should be asked in the question marathon forum.
Seven Lakes High School '19
Seven Lakes Junior High '15

Events
2019: Sounds of Music/Codebusters
2018: Game On/Helicopters/Forensics/Hovercraft/Fermi Questions

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » September 14th, 2018, 6:55 am

The preceding posts have been moved to the question marathon.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

TheChiScientist
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » September 16th, 2018, 3:11 pm

How are you guys studying for this as a team? I want to know so I can get cracking with my teammates. :?:
A Science Olympian from 2015 -To Present
Medal Count:22 8-)
Current Events
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design

Background In
Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Ecology, Fermi

School: Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120 ;)

Name
State: NY

Postby Name » September 16th, 2018, 3:16 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:How are you guys studying for this as a team? I want to know so I can get cracking with my teammates. :?:

first just learn how to encode and decode all the different type of ciphers
once you got that down, start practcing by writing ciphers for each other to solve
South Woods- 2016-17 Syosset 2018-21
Previous events: Microbe, Invasive, Herp, Matsci
Events! Fermi, Code Busters, Astronomy
liso- 1 :) /3/9 (rip)
mit- probably terrible/probably terrible/probably terrible

hi there, stop reading this and go be productive

OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Postby OrigamiPlanet » September 19th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Name wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:How are you guys studying for this as a team? I want to know so I can get cracking with my teammates. :?:

first just learn how to encode and decode all the different type of ciphers
once you got that down, start practcing by writing ciphers for each other to solve

Furthering that point, once you guys all have a general idea of each code it's probably best that only two of the three people specialize on a specific cipher, as you want to be specialized to work best at any code. Having two people will definitely work better than one person, since at least one other person can quickly look for errors should they be present while the third one focuses on a different code. You don't all want to focus as a group though, since you still want to keep efficiency. This also means the xenocrypt in Spanish, at least two people should know or try and learn some Spanish grammar/vocabulary.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Main Events For 2019
Exp. D.; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet; Astronomy;

WIP Specialties (No previous background whatsoever)
Geologic Mapping; Chem Lab

Email me for anything!

Jacobi
State: -

Postby Jacobi » September 20th, 2018, 7:08 am

Any good advice on solving patristocrats?

Longivitis

Postby Longivitis » September 20th, 2018, 7:24 am

Jacobi wrote:Any good advice on solving patristocrats?

Finding repeating chunks in the problem can allow you to see patterns and guess what word it is (probably "the", or another another commonly used word). Letter frequency also helps a lot if you know the order (ETAOIN)
CyLakes HS '19

Medal Count: 6
Highest Placement
Codebusters (1), Game On (2), Science Word (6), Towers (3), We've Got Your Number (3)

Falls

Chemistry Lab: -
Codebusters: 11
Fermi Questions: -
Mousetrap Vehicle: -
WGYN: -

Return to “Lab Events”