Sounds of Music C

User avatar
Adi1008
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 423
Joined: December 6th, 2013, 1:56 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Sounds of Music C

Postby Adi1008 » August 5th, 2018, 9:51 am

Sounds of Music C: Teams must construct and tune one device prior to the tournament based on a 12-tone equal tempered scale and complete a written test on the physics of sound.

Sounds of Music Wiki

Sounds of Music Test Exchange 2014

Sounds of Music Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Past Question Marathons: 2014
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1092
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 3rd, 2018, 7:04 pm

It really is a lot more like the other build-physics events now, huh. There's a written test and one build instead of two. They've really cracked down on the subjectivity issue. Question: is this getting a subforum like thermo?

Edit: They must have -> They've
Last edited by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F on September 4th, 2018, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3670
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby Unome » September 3rd, 2018, 7:11 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:It really is a lot more like the other build-physics events now, huh. There's a written test and one build instead of two. They must have really cracked down on the subjectivity issue. Question: is this getting a subforum like thermo?

Currently, there is no subforum this year based on a dearth of past activity.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1092
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 4th, 2018, 6:02 am

Adi1008 wrote:Sounds of Music C: Teams must construct and tune one device prior to the tournament based on a 12-tone equal tempered scale and complete a written test on the physics of sound.

Sounds of Music Wiki

Sounds of Music Test Exchange 2014

Sounds of Music Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Past Question Marathons: 2014

The 2013 link points to the Boomilever forum.

User avatar
Person
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 134
Joined: September 4th, 2015, 6:27 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: ento
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby Person » September 4th, 2018, 1:26 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:Sounds of Music C: Teams must construct and tune one device prior to the tournament based on a 12-tone equal tempered scale and complete a written test on the physics of sound.

Sounds of Music Wiki

Sounds of Music Test Exchange 2014

Sounds of Music Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Past Question Marathons: 2014

The 2013 link points to the Boomilever forum.

It should link to the right thread now, thanks for letting us know!
I am a Person.
Past events: Solar Systems, Crave the Wave, ENTOMOLOGY, Dynamic Planet, Scrambler, Invasive Species, Forensics, Hydrogeology, Optics, Herpetology, Astronomy, Remote Sensing
#TehEntoCult ENTO IS LUV ENTO IS LYFE
Most Original Username 2016, 2017, 2018
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

TheSquaad
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: March 18th, 2017, 5:14 pm
Division: C
State: MA
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby TheSquaad » September 8th, 2018, 8:18 am

Shouldn’t this forum go under the build event section

TheSquaad
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: March 18th, 2017, 5:14 pm
Division: C
State: MA
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby TheSquaad » September 8th, 2018, 8:22 am

Also, the rules say that the best value during the five seconds will be counted for the pitch score. Does this mean that if you had, say a Slide whistle, and slid from a flat F to a sharp F during those 5 seconds—because you hit an in tune F at some point, you would get max points?

Anomaly
Member
Member
Posts: 380
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 10:46 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Somewhere in the known or unknown universe
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby Anomaly » September 8th, 2018, 11:06 am

TheSquaad wrote:Shouldn’t this forum go under the build event section

This is under the lab event section because along with the build portion, there is a test section as well.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018 (Student Coach 2019), Parkland HS SO 2019
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 24
Regional: 14
State: 5
Events:
Anatomy and Physiology, Disease Detectives, Codebusters, Write It Do It

#livingalifeofdepression

SciolyMaster
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: May 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm
Division: B
State: MO
Location: Observable Universe
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby SciolyMaster » September 8th, 2018, 11:31 am

Anomaly wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:Shouldn’t this forum go under the build event section

This is under the lab event section because along with the build portion, there is a test section as well.

Why can't it be under both?

terence.tan
Member
Member
Posts: 121
Joined: September 17th, 2017, 10:40 am
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby terence.tan » September 8th, 2018, 1:11 pm

TheSquaad wrote:Also, the rules say that the best value during the five seconds will be counted for the pitch score. Does this mean that if you had, say a Slide whistle, and slid from a flat F to a sharp F during those 5 seconds—because you hit an in tune F at some point, you would get max points?

that is a clever idea but only deices with a quick decay time can have multiple attacks on the note. ( hitting a mallet or plucking string) and a slide whistle doesnt meet those constraints
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Wright Stuff.

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1092
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 8th, 2018, 2:14 pm

SciolyMaster wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:Shouldn’t this forum go under the build event section

This is under the lab event section because along with the build portion, there is a test section as well.

Why can't it be under both?

This way, all of the information about the event is gatheted together. If this thread gets really active, the mods might make a subforum for the build like they did with thermo.

TheSquaad
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: March 18th, 2017, 5:14 pm
Division: C
State: MA
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby TheSquaad » September 8th, 2018, 3:03 pm

terence.tan wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:Also, the rules say that the best value during the five seconds will be counted for the pitch score. Does this mean that if you had, say a Slide whistle, and slid from a flat F to a sharp F during those 5 seconds—because you hit an in tune F at some point, you would get max points?

that is a clever idea but only deices with a quick decay time can have multiple attacks on the note. ( hitting a mallet or plucking string) and a slide whistle doesnt meet those constraints


But if you kept blowing for 5 seconds straight, wouldn't it still count as a single attack?

mjcox2000
Member
Member
Posts: 62
Joined: May 9th, 2014, 3:34 am
Division: C
State: VA
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby mjcox2000 » September 8th, 2018, 4:08 pm

TheSquaad wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:Also, the rules say that the best value during the five seconds will be counted for the pitch score. Does this mean that if you had, say a Slide whistle, and slid from a flat F to a sharp F during those 5 seconds—because you hit an in tune F at some point, you would get max points?

that is a clever idea but only deices with a quick decay time can have multiple attacks on the note. ( hitting a mallet or plucking string) and a slide whistle doesnt meet those constraints


But if you kept blowing for 5 seconds straight, wouldn't it still count as a single attack?


That plan relies on the tuner refreshing continuously. If the tuner display refreshes infrequently, even though the slide whistle passes through F, the tuner may not capture that very moment. The judge may also be blinking at that very moment. In general, even though you’re guaranteed to be in tune at some point during the 5 seconds if you use your strategy, it’s not a safe strategy because there’s no guarantee the judge/tuner will catch the very moment you’re in tune.
Nationals medals:
2014 SMach: 3rd
2014 WIDI: 2nd
2015 SumoBots (trial): 2nd
2015 SMach: 2nd
2018 Code Busters (trial): 1st

User avatar
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 121
Joined: December 4th, 2017, 7:09 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby Riptide » September 8th, 2018, 5:17 pm

mjcox2000 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
terence.tan wrote:that is a clever idea but only deices with a quick decay time can have multiple attacks on the note. ( hitting a mallet or plucking string) and a slide whistle doesnt meet those constraints


But if you kept blowing for 5 seconds straight, wouldn't it still count as a single attack?


That plan relies on the tuner refreshing continuously. If the tuner display refreshes infrequently, even though the slide whistle passes through F, the tuner may not capture that very moment. The judge may also be blinking at that very moment. In general, even though you’re guaranteed to be in tune at some point during the 5 seconds if you use your strategy, it’s not a safe strategy because there’s no guarantee the judge/tuner will catch the very moment you’re in tune.

The scoring is based off of the closest cent to the target. I would hope that tuners would record continuously on some sort of device (like labquest does in physics labs) because if the judge is simply observing the device for the best measurement he/she might miss what would be the closest cent. As a musician, I know that tuners change their measurement very quickly and it would be very inaccurate to simply observe the tuner as a way to record the score. I have no idea how the cent value is going to be recorded in competition, but if it is done by eye I would agree that it would be risky to use the method Squad thought of.

Edit: Found a site that might give an example of what I'm talking about here. The software records statistics on both the volume and the pitch.
Example Graph
Image
Seven Lakes High School '19
Seven Lakes Junior High '15

Events
2019: Sounds of Music/Codebusters
2018: Game On/Helicopters/Forensics/Hovercraft/Fermi Questions

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2066
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby chalker » September 9th, 2018, 6:38 pm

terence.tan wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:Also, the rules say that the best value during the five seconds will be counted for the pitch score. Does this mean that if you had, say a Slide whistle, and slid from a flat F to a sharp F during those 5 seconds—because you hit an in tune F at some point, you would get max points?

that is a clever idea but only deices with a quick decay time can have multiple attacks on the note. ( hitting a mallet or plucking string) and a slide whistle doesnt meet those constraints


I think everyone is missing a very important part of that rule, which is the first few words that say you can only play 1 pitch....

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair


Return to “Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest