Sounds of Music C

killer225whale
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by killer225whale »

SciolyHarsh wrote:And it looks like they are going for best pitch rather than average. Huh. Not bad. I'd hope for more states to do this, because average pitch is a painful process; it really dents the performance of strike-based instruments(unless you can somehow strike so fast that the delay is negligible).
I don't really know if that's "best pitch" so much as just finding the most prevalent pitch over the entirety of the 5 second sample. Tuners probably use a similar process but over much shorter samples (and also probably a rolling sample).
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
AAH2020
Division: C
State: GA

Post by AAH2020 »

What is the points penalty if your instrument's notes are in an octave above the range specified by the rules? The rules apparently designate the allowed range as F2-F5 and our scale is C6-C7. How many points would we lose if we still used that instrument?
killer225whale

Post by killer225whale »

AAH2020 wrote:What is the points penalty if your instrument's notes are in an octave above the range specified by the rules? The rules apparently designate the allowed range as F2-F5 and our scale is C6-C7. How many points would we lose if we still used that instrument?
You'd basically lose all the points for the Pitch Score.
Birdmusic
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

killer225whale wrote:SoCal SciOly just posted the method they're going to be using for State: http://socalscioly.org/downloads/Sounds ... esting.pdf

It looks like they're using Audacity instead of Google Science Journal.
GGSO did this as well, which I really appreciated. I hope more proctors see this and also use this method since it is also more accurate to how instrument accuracy would be judged in irl orchestras by tuners.
I like birds.
ericlepanda
State: IL

Post by ericlepanda »

Does anyone have any idea what software is going to be used for the tuning score at SOUP?
ntso
quack quack
eagerlearner102

Post by eagerlearner102 »

For those that made a flute instrument, how did you make your hole smaller? I tried hot glue, wax and both of these methods didn't work that well because it only stuck for a few minutes. I might consider using PVC glue.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
Creationist127
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Creationist127 »

eagerlearner102 wrote:For those that made a flute instrument, how did you make your hole smaller? I tried hot glue, wax and both of these methods didn't work that well because it only stuck for a few minutes. I might consider using PVC glue.
You could put tape over part of your holes, like cover the top half of the hole with tape. I don't believe the holes need to be perfectly round per se, so you can just put tape over part and adjust the position of the tape as you tune.
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
memeus
State: KS

Post by memeus »

Has anyone found a good diagram of an ear/cochlea? I am trying to look for the one like on the MIT Test, but no results have really come up.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”