Sounds of Music C

AAH2020
Division: C
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by AAH2020 »

Does anyone know of any better test exchanges or sample problems resources out there? The only thing I have so far in terms of need-to-know for the test are the basic definitions, like waves, acoustics, resonance, timbre, etc.
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

AAH2020 wrote:Does anyone know of any better test exchanges or sample problems resources out there? The only thing I have so far in terms of need-to-know for the test are the basic definitions, like waves, acoustics, resonance, timbre, etc.
Any introductory physics textbook should have a chapter or two on waves/sounds and corresponding practice problems that should cover a large portion of the required information.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
JojoCho

Post by JojoCho »

So the rules mention how your instrument must fit inside certain dimensions before setting up and how when setting up the device may expand or get bigger. However, there's nothing about if your instrument can separate into multiple pieces. If it still fits within the dimensions, should I be ok?
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2019
University of Georgia Class of 2023
User Page
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

JojoCho wrote:So the rules mention how your instrument must fit inside certain dimensions before setting up and how when setting up the device may expand or get bigger. However, there's nothing about if your instrument can separate into multiple pieces. If it still fits within the dimensions, should I be ok?
yes as long as you are able to put the pieces back together in 2 minutes it is fine
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
JojoCho

Post by JojoCho »

terence.tan wrote:
JojoCho wrote:So the rules mention how your instrument must fit inside certain dimensions before setting up and how when setting up the device may expand or get bigger. However, there's nothing about if your instrument can separate into multiple pieces. If it still fits within the dimensions, should I be ok?
yes as long as you are able to put the pieces back together in 2 minutes it is fine
Oh sorry I should've explained a bit better. I meant is it ok that for the actual part where the proctor is recording my pitches is it ok if I have different pieces for each pitch and I don't keep them together. So technically for my set up I'm taking it apart. If you need me to elaborate more please let me know.
User Page
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

JojoCho wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
Oh sorry I should've explained a bit better. I meant is it ok that for the actual part where the proctor is recording my pitches is it ok if I have different pieces for each pitch and I don't keep them together. So technically for my set up I'm taking it apart. If you need me to elaborate more please let me know.
oh im sorry i didnt mean to say what i said before. when you bring the instrument in it has to fit in the constraints. but when you set up you can "take it apart" and expand it.
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
JojoCho

Post by JojoCho »

terence.tan wrote:
JojoCho wrote:
terence.tan wrote: yes as long as you are able to put the pieces back together in 2 minutes it is fine
oh im sorry i didnt mean to say what i said before. when you bring the instrument in it has to fit in the constraints. but when you set up you can "take it apart" and expand it.
I just thought about this a bit more, could the proctor technically argue that having multiple (pipes for example) for each pitch can count as multiple instruments? Since a flute you can blow into it but it produces multiple pitches. Could they argue that my instrument is technically like...8 flutes
User Page
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

JojoCho wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
JojoCho wrote:
I just thought about this a bit more, could the proctor technically argue that having multiple (pipes for example) for each pitch can count as multiple instruments? Since a flute you can blow into it but it produces multiple pitches. Could they argue that my instrument is technically like...8 flutes
now that i think about that, they could. I think you should try to connect your 8 pieces with something small so that they have physical contact
trdd

Event supervising...

Post by trdd »

In other device testing events you can have multiple teams doing the setup while another team is performing the device test. For example, in Mousetrap you can have two tracks with one track used by students setting up while the other students race. But in this event you can't have multiple teams setting up a devices in the same room or else the will create noise that disturbs the device testing. Therefore for the device testing part and two-minute prep time all teams must be passed through one after the other without any parallel teams. This presents a little logistical issue: If the device testing plus the 2 minute setup time is run in 10-minute intervals and there are 60 teams at the event, then it would take 10 hours to go through all teams. So you would have to do 5 minute intervals to go through 60 teams in 5 hours. In these 5-minute intervals you still need to give 2 minutes of setup time leaving 3 minutes to test the 8 notes for 5 seconds each and another 5 seconds for the volume. 1 minutes for teams entering and leaving the room + 2 minutes of setup time + 1.5 minutes of device play + 30 seconds of data entry leaves very little room for error.
Thoughts on this?
TheSquaad

Re: Event supervising...

Post by TheSquaad »

trdd wrote:In other device testing events you can have multiple teams doing the setup while another team is performing the device test. For example, in Mousetrap you can have two tracks with one track used by students setting up while the other students race. But in this event you can't have multiple teams setting up a devices in the same room or else the will create noise that disturbs the device testing. Therefore for the device testing part and two-minute prep time all teams must be passed through one after the other without any parallel teams. This presents a little logistical issue: If the device testing plus the 2 minute setup time is run in 10-minute intervals and there are 60 teams at the event, then it would take 10 hours to go through all teams. So you would have to do 5 minute intervals to go through 60 teams in 5 hours. In these 5-minute intervals you still need to give 2 minutes of setup time leaving 3 minutes to test the 8 notes for 5 seconds each and another 5 seconds for the volume. 1 minutes for teams entering and leaving the room + 2 minutes of setup time + 1.5 minutes of device play + 30 seconds of data entry leaves very little room for error.
Thoughts on this?
The easy solution is have 2 testing rooms far enough apart that they can’t hear each other

Return to “2019 Lab Events”