Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby Riptide » September 9th, 2018, 7:08 pm

chalker wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:Also, the rules say that the best value during the five seconds will be counted for the pitch score. Does this mean that if you had, say a Slide whistle, and slid from a flat F to a sharp F during those 5 seconds—because you hit an in tune F at some point, you would get max points?

that is a clever idea but only deices with a quick decay time can have multiple attacks on the note. ( hitting a mallet or plucking string) and a slide whistle doesnt meet those constraints

I think everyone is missing a very important part of that rule, which is the first few words that say you can only play 1 pitch....

At what point would it not be considered one pitch? Just as an example, if you were on let’s say a string instrument like a violin, you can place your finger down on an ‘A’ and then rotate it very slightly so that it covers what is most definitely the exact cent of 440 (assuming it’s A4). It wouldn’t sound as a different pitch at all, just very fine adjustments in the intonation that would be barely noticeable to the ear but would basically be guaranteed full points. I’m not sure if I made any sense just now but it’s hard for me to describe.
Seven Lakes High School '19
Seven Lakes Junior High '15

Events
2019: Sounds of Music/Codebusters
2018: Game On/Helicopters/Forensics/Hovercraft/Fermi Questions

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 9th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Riptide wrote:
chalker wrote:
terence.tan wrote:that is a clever idea but only deices with a quick decay time can have multiple attacks on the note. ( hitting a mallet or plucking string) and a slide whistle doesnt meet those constraints

I think everyone is missing a very important part of that rule, which is the first few words that say you can only play 1 pitch....

At what point would it not be considered one pitch? Just as an example, if you were on let’s say a string instrument like a violin, you can place your finger down on an ‘A’ and then rotate it very slightly so that it covers what is most definitely the exact cent of 440 (assuming it’s A4). It wouldn’t sound as a different pitch at all, just very fine adjustments in the intonation that would be barely noticeable to the ear but would basically be guaranteed full points. I’m not sure if I made any sense just now but it’s hard for me to describe.

If you're sliding on a slide whistle, it's obviously not one pitch. But I think the main takeaway is that you shouldn't press your luck as to flexibility of the rules.

memeus
State: KS

Postby memeus » September 10th, 2018, 2:21 pm

For creating a 3D printed stringed instrument what is considered a modification? Would it be considered original I used a 3D scanner to scan an instrument to be a base starting file to render off of? Or, would it still be considered original to use files off of sources like Thingiverse and modify those. And, what would be considered a modification?
Events (Otown,MV, )
Herpetology (2,3)
Sounds of Music (3,8 )
Fossils (2,2)
Codebusters (NA,3,)
Overall (2,1)
#tehentocult

windu34
Division: Grad
State: FL

Postby windu34 » September 10th, 2018, 2:37 pm

memeus wrote:For creating a 3D printed stringed instrument what is considered a modification? Would it be considered original I used a 3D scanner to scan an instrument to be a base starting file to render off of? Or, would it still be considered original to use files off of sources like Thingiverse and modify those. And, what would be considered a modification?

Not official etc etc, but if youre gonna 3D print an instrument, I think youre covered on the modification and have much bigger things to worry about. I would seriously consider the amount of tension you will be placing on the printed parts and think about (or calculate) deformation. I would be very worried about keeping a 3D printed string instrument in tune
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » September 12th, 2018, 6:41 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
SciolyMaster wrote:
Anomaly wrote:This is under the lab event section because along with the build portion, there is a test section as well.

Why can't it be under both?

This way, all of the information about the event is gatheted together. If this thread gets really active, the mods might make a subforum for the build like they did with thermo.

The general preference is to have only one thread for each event for the hybrid lab events that have both test and device portions. If there is significant forum support to put these hybrid events into the Build forums, or to create a new "Hybrid Events" subforum, then that is something we can consider, but right now the policy using Lab Events has worked.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

trdd
State: -

Postby trdd » September 13th, 2018, 7:46 am

I wonder how accurate will the devices used at the competitions be. The better not use cell phone apps. I'm specifically talking about the frequency measuring device from the event or the event supervisor not the student's. There could be errors that will include a certain level of randomness into the measuring.

The rules for event supervisors should specify what device to get.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 13th, 2018, 7:53 am

trdd wrote:I wonder how accurate will the devices used at the competitions be. The better not use cell phone apps. I'm specifically talking about the frequency measuring device from the event or the event supervisor not the student's. There could be errors that will include a certain level of randomness into the measuring.

In a perfect world all ES would have access to high-quality measurement devices and use these for competition. However, this is not always practical or affordable. While I hesitate to speak for the rules committees, I think I am safe in saying that they make an effort to keep events accessible even for teams with limited financial resources. Therefore, they leave this open to ES to provide the best equipment possible; I would expect higher levels of competition (regionals, states, etc.) to make more of an effort to have good equipment than invitationals.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » September 13th, 2018, 7:59 am

nicholasmaurer wrote:
trdd wrote:I wonder how accurate will the devices used at the competitions be. The better not use cell phone apps. I'm specifically talking about the frequency measuring device from the event or the event supervisor not the student's. There could be errors that will include a certain level of randomness into the measuring.

In a perfect world all ES would have access to high-quality measurement devices and use these for competition. However, this is not always practical or affordable. While I hesitate to speak for the rules committees, I think I am safe in saying that they make an effort to keep events accessible even for teams with limited financial resources. Therefore, they leave this open to ES to provide the best equipment possible; I would expect higher levels of competition (regionals, states, etc.) to make more of an effort to have good equipment than invitationals.

Only in Ohio are regionals and states generally better-run than invitationals :P
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

chalker

Postby chalker » September 13th, 2018, 9:40 am

In developing the rules, we tried several devices and found several cell phone apps that work pretty well. We'll be issuing an event supervisors guide with info sometime soon.

I'm curious though as to why you might be assuming that cell phone apps would be inherently error phone in terms of frequency measuring?

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 13th, 2018, 11:08 am

chalker wrote:

In developing the rules, we tried several devices and found several cell phone apps that work pretty well. We'll be issuing an event supervisors guide with info sometime soon.

I'm curious though as to why you might be assuming that cell phone apps would be inherently error phone in terms of frequency measuring?

Is it safe to assume you'll be including the specific apps/devices that you tested and can recommend?

As an aside, I myself did not know the ES guide existed until late last year. I even went to the trouble of making my own for the Solon invitational. Do you have any thoughts about how it could be made more visible to tournament directors and ES? There are several events this year (including Sounds) where I think a consistent message on equipment/tools would be very beneficial.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » September 16th, 2018, 7:35 am

Am I going crazy or do you not have to play a piece anymore, just a scale?
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 16th, 2018, 7:42 am

dxu46 wrote:Am I going crazy or do you not have to play a piece anymore, just a scale?

That is correct. Interestingly though, there's a volume test.

trdd
State: -

Postby trdd » September 19th, 2018, 2:53 pm

chalker wrote:

We definitely need an ES guide so that both the ES and the students have the same measuring devices. That way, students can make their instruments for the device and the ES doesn't have a device that gives away too much error or too much noise in the frequency that will not allow them to accurately compute the cents for each pitch.

lamppost
State: VA

Postby lamppost » September 19th, 2018, 5:01 pm

dxu46 wrote:Am I going crazy or do you not have to play a piece anymore, just a scale?

For the volume test, the louder the better right? And since multiple attacks on the one pitch is allowed would it count as cheating if you make one pitch significantly louder than the rest when you're building your device? Or do all the pitches have to be the same volume throughout
Divison C Science Olympiad competitior

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 19th, 2018, 5:23 pm

lamppost wrote:

For the volume test, the louder the better right? And since multiple attacks on the one pitch is allowed would it count as cheating if you make one pitch significantly louder than the rest when you're building your device? Or do all the pitches have to be the same volume throughout

Yes, the louder the better. You can make one pitch significantly louder than the rest but it has to be part of the scale you play (which you conveniently get to choose). Also remember you can't make any adjustments after the pitch test (I don't think this really applies for your idea, but just in case).

Return to “Lab Events”