Sounds of Music C

Jacobi
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 4th, 2018, 7:47 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby Jacobi » September 20th, 2018, 7:10 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
lamppost wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:That is correct. Interestingly though, there's a volume test.

For the volume test, the louder the better right? And since multiple attacks on the one pitch is allowed would it count as cheating if you make one pitch significantly louder than the rest when you're building your device? Or do all the pitches have to be the same volume throughout

Yes, the louder the better. You can make one pitch significantly louder than the rest but it has to be part of the scale you play (which you conveniently get to choose). Also remember you can't make any adjustments after the pitch test (I don't think this really applies for your idea, but just in case).


Could you make a two-part device with an easily tunable component, like a xylophone, and a loud component, like a trumpet? If they're connected, you could have one person at the xylophone and the other at the trumpet. You wouldn't have to adjust anything.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 281
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 10:55 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 20th, 2018, 10:25 am

Jacobi wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
lamppost wrote:For the volume test, the louder the better right? And since multiple attacks on the one pitch is allowed would it count as cheating if you make one pitch significantly louder than the rest when you're building your device? Or do all the pitches have to be the same volume throughout

Yes, the louder the better. You can make one pitch significantly louder than the rest but it has to be part of the scale you play (which you conveniently get to choose). Also remember you can't make any adjustments after the pitch test (I don't think this really applies for your idea, but just in case).


Could you make a two-part device with an easily tunable component, like a xylophone, and a loud component, like a trumpet? If they're connected, you could have one person at the xylophone and the other at the trumpet. You wouldn't have to adjust anything.


I'm very skeptical of this approach based on the spirit of the rules - this does not seem to match the description of the event in 1. as I would interpret this as two instruments.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

hippo9
Member
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 9:35 am
Division: C
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby hippo9 » September 20th, 2018, 10:53 am

Jacobi wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
lamppost wrote:For the volume test, the louder the better right? And since multiple attacks on the one pitch is allowed would it count as cheating if you make one pitch significantly louder than the rest when you're building your device? Or do all the pitches have to be the same volume throughout

Yes, the louder the better. You can make one pitch significantly louder than the rest but it has to be part of the scale you play (which you conveniently get to choose). Also remember you can't make any adjustments after the pitch test (I don't think this really applies for your idea, but just in case).


Could you make a two-part device with an easily tunable component, like a xylophone, and a loud component, like a trumpet? If they're connected, you could have one person at the xylophone and the other at the trumpet. You wouldn't have to adjust anything.

Keep in mind it requires the pitch played for the volume test to be part of your scale, so that might derail your idea anyways.
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research." - Albert Einstein

2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chemistry Lab, Codebusters, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Sounds of Music

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1088
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 20th, 2018, 12:43 pm

hippo9 wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Yes, the louder the better. You can make one pitch significantly louder than the rest but it has to be part of the scale you play (which you conveniently get to choose). Also remember you can't make any adjustments after the pitch test (I don't think this really applies for your idea, but just in case).


Could you make a two-part device with an easily tunable component, like a xylophone, and a loud component, like a trumpet? If they're connected, you could have one person at the xylophone and the other at the trumpet. You wouldn't have to adjust anything.

Keep in mind it requires the pitch played for the volume test to be part of your scale, so that might derail your idea anyways.

You can always just have one pitch of the scale be extra loud (though I'm not sure how you would do that without making two instruments), but with a xylophone, if I remember correctly, higher pitches are already louder than lower pitches anyway.

Jacobi
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 4th, 2018, 7:47 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby Jacobi » September 23rd, 2018, 10:05 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
hippo9 wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
Could you make a two-part device with an easily tunable component, like a xylophone, and a loud component, like a trumpet? If they're connected, you could have one person at the xylophone and the other at the trumpet. You wouldn't have to adjust anything.

Keep in mind it requires the pitch played for the volume test to be part of your scale, so that might derail your idea anyways.

You can always just have one pitch of the scale be extra loud (though I'm not sure how you would do that without making two instruments), but with a xylophone, if I remember correctly, higher pitches are already louder than lower pitches anyway.

You could design an acoustic amplifier that resonates on a particular tone, making it extra-loud.

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1088
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 23rd, 2018, 10:53 am

Jacobi wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
hippo9 wrote:Keep in mind it requires the pitch played for the volume test to be part of your scale, so that might derail your idea anyways.

You can always just have one pitch of the scale be extra loud (though I'm not sure how you would do that without making two instruments), but with a xylophone, if I remember correctly, higher pitches are already louder than lower pitches anyway.

You could design an acoustic amplifier that resonates on a particular tone, making it extra-loud.

Oh, good idea!

Jacobi
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 4th, 2018, 7:47 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby Jacobi » September 24th, 2018, 8:35 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:You can always just have one pitch of the scale be extra loud (though I'm not sure how you would do that without making two instruments), but with a xylophone, if I remember correctly, higher pitches are already louder than lower pitches anyway.

You could design an acoustic amplifier that resonates on a particular tone, making it extra-loud.

Oh, good idea!


Specifically, consider an air chamber, like that in a violin's f-holes. If such a chamber was designed such that its resonant frequency precisely matched a frequency of the scale, then that chamber would resonate on the playing of that frequency, amplifying the sound.

EDIT: When such a chamber would be played as an aerophone. Also, this only works for instruments that are not aerophones.

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1088
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 25th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Are y'all just using this website to study?

bingbong
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: September 27th, 2018, 11:45 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby bingbong » September 27th, 2018, 11:55 am

So My teammate and I are making a makeshift violin, and in the rules it stays no professional and toy tuning pegs. Does that mean we can't make our own or ...? :shock: :shock:

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3667
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby Unome » September 27th, 2018, 1:22 pm

bingbong wrote:So My teammate and I are making a makeshift violin, and in the rules it stays no professional and toy tuning pegs. Does that mean we can't make our own or ...? :shock: :shock:

It means that you must make your own tuning pegs.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1088
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 27th, 2018, 1:23 pm

bingbong wrote:So My teammate and I are making a makeshift violin, and in the rules it stays no professional and toy tuning pegs. Does that mean we can't make our own or ...? :shock: :shock:

No, it just means you can't use one that's already been made.

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
brokenAvocado
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: September 29th, 2018, 10:49 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby brokenAvocado » September 29th, 2018, 10:59 pm

When the rules sat you can bring rosin for string instruments, does that mean bows are allowed? Now when I mean bow I mean a custom made one but with horse hair replacements. Then is horse hair a type of string they do allow?

User avatar
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1890
Joined: January 5th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby bernard » October 1st, 2018, 4:00 am

brokenAvocado wrote:When the rules sat you can bring rosin for string instruments, does that mean bows are allowed? Now when I mean bow I mean a custom made one but with horse hair replacements. Then is horse hair a type of string they do allow?

By rule 3.a. horsehair has a string-like form and could be allowed, but they are also a part used in professional instruments which would prohibit their use. I suggest submitting an FAQ so you can possibly get an answer that you can reference if questioned at tournaments. As a supervisor, I would allow horsehair as it is almost a raw material with few refinements and in this way comparable to hide glue.

Some tips for working with horsehair. Lay out the hair and remove strands with sharp kinks. Thoroughly wet hair with water before installing and comb while installing; this will organize the hairs, and the hairs shorten as they dry. Tying hair with a good knot will help the hair hold consistent tension over time. Gilles Nehr on Youtube has good videos on the process, though he has odd 16 second interludes in each of his videos.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

TheSquaad
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: March 18th, 2017, 5:14 pm
Division: C
State: MA
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby TheSquaad » October 5th, 2018, 6:46 am

When it says that all notes must lie between F2 and F5, is that inclusive of F2 and F5?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3667
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby Unome » October 5th, 2018, 7:58 am

TheSquaad wrote:When it says that all notes must lie between F2 and F5, is that inclusive of F2 and F5?

That's a great question. However, rather than worrying about it I would just recommend you play a scale assuming the most restrictive interpretation, so it doesn't affect you.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.


Return to “Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest