Sounds of Music C

windu34
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Sounds of Music C

Postby windu34 » November 6th, 2018, 1:30 pm

KhaiR17 wrote:I was wondering, can I use blanks? They are reeds that are not fully shaved so I have to work on them still. They just make it easier than buying normal cane and having to cut it.

I think this is going to be a question best answered by submitting an FAQ to Soinc.org.
Link
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

hippo9
Division: C
State: IN

Postby hippo9 » November 10th, 2018, 11:11 pm

I know a one octave major scale must be played, but this mean 8 notes (restarting the sequence) or just the regular 7? I ask because the pitch scores would add up to 36 if 8 notes were required, but major scales only have 7 notes.
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research." - Albert Einstein

2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chemistry Lab, Codebusters, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Sounds of Music

mjcox2000
State: VA

Postby mjcox2000 » November 11th, 2018, 6:15 am

hippo9 wrote:I know a one octave major scale must be played, but this mean 8 notes (restarting the sequence) or just the regular 7? I ask because the pitch scores would add up to 36 if 8 notes were required, but major scales only have 7 notes.

A major scale consists of 8 notes, not 7 — it contains the tonic in two different octaves.
Nationals medals:
2014 SMach: 3rd
2014 WIDI: 2nd
2015 SumoBots (trial): 2nd
2015 SMach: 2nd
2018 Code Busters (trial): 1st

hippo9
State: IN

Postby hippo9 » November 11th, 2018, 7:23 am

mjcox2000 wrote:
hippo9 wrote:I know a one octave major scale must be played, but this mean 8 notes (restarting the sequence) or just the regular 7? I ask because the pitch scores would add up to 36 if 8 notes were required, but major scales only have 7 notes.

A major scale consists of 8 notes, not 7 — it contains the tonic in two different octaves.

Ok thanks! I was just making sure because the scales only have 7 distinct notes.
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research." - Albert Einstein

2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chemistry Lab, Codebusters, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Sounds of Music

SciolyHarsh
State: -

Postby SciolyHarsh » November 13th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Haven't been able to find out how to reach the correct answer for this question. So, the first question is:

At a party, there is a louder stereo blaring some dank music. I'm a party animal so I'm standing 1 meter away from the stereo and I perceive a sound intensity of 10^-1 , what is the approximate decibel level that I perceive to the nearest tenth?

So I got 110 dB for this, from doing I(dB)=10log(I/I*). I'm not able to get a correct answer for part 2, which is:

You are more far away, 20 meters, because you are a normal person, what is the sound intensity you perceive and the approximate decibel level?

My answer for the sound intensity is 1/4000 and 83.979 dB for the decibel level. The answer key says it's 0.00025 dB and 10^-3 .

How would you get the correct answers for part 2?

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » November 13th, 2018, 7:20 pm

SciolyHarsh wrote:Haven't been able to find out how to reach the correct answer for this question. So, the first question is:

At a party, there is a louder stereo blaring some dank music. I'm a party animal so I'm standing 1 meter away from the stereo and I perceive a sound intensity of 10^-1 , what is the approximate decibel level that I perceive to the nearest tenth?

So I got 110 dB for this, from doing I(dB)=10log(I/I*). I'm not able to get a correct answer for part 2, which is:

You are more far away, 20 meters, because you are a normal person, what is the sound intensity you perceive and the approximate decibel level?

My answer for the sound intensity is 1/4000 and 83.979 dB for the decibel level. The answer key says it's 0.00025 dB and 10^-3 .

You are correct. Ignore the answer key.

SciolyHarsh

Postby SciolyHarsh » November 13th, 2018, 7:58 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
SciolyHarsh wrote:Haven't been able to find out how to reach the correct answer for this question. So, the first question is:

You are correct. Ignore the answer key.

Thank you! I spent so much time stressing over a wrong key!

SciolyHarsh

Postby SciolyHarsh » November 15th, 2018, 6:40 pm

One more question!

This one also has two parts.

A nylon string on a violin has a density of 1200 kg/m^3 with a diameter of 4x10^-3 meters. The string is held with a tension of 220 N and the frequency of the first harmonic of the G string is 196 Hz. What is the length of the string?

So I solved this and got 0.308 m, which is correct, but I don't know how to solve the next part.

If we wanted to play one octave up on the open string from the fundamental G in question 12, how much do we need to increase the tension?

TheSquaad
State: MA

Postby TheSquaad » November 16th, 2018, 4:35 am

SciolyHarsh wrote:One more question!

This one also has two parts.

A nylon string on a violin has a density of 1200 kg/m^3 with a diameter of 4x10^-3 meters. The string is held with a tension of 220 N and the frequency of the first harmonic of the G string is 196 Hz. What is the length of the string?

So I solved this and got 0.308 m, which is correct, but I don't know how to solve the next part.

If we wanted to play one octave up on the open string from the fundamental G in question 12, how much do we need to increase the tension?

You double the frequency to go up an octave. Because tension is square routed, it needs to multiply by a factor of 4 to increase frequency by a factor of 2

CaTaStRoPhY

Postby CaTaStRoPhY » November 25th, 2018, 1:43 pm

The rule manual mentions "Basic terminology regarding sound, sound production, and related science terms". What does this mean, specifically? Anyone have resources for this section?

TheSquaad
State: MA

Postby TheSquaad » November 26th, 2018, 6:39 am

CaTaStRoPhY wrote:The rule manual mentions "Basic terminology regarding sound, sound production, and related science terms". What does this mean, specifically? Anyone have resources for this section?

It means whatever the ES wants it to mean. My team is just scrolling through Wikipedia and documenting Giancoli Physics.

memeus
State: KS

Postby memeus » November 30th, 2018, 6:15 am

So for the physics test portion of Sounds, can you give me some like subtopics for the first three bullets (General Principles of acoustics, basic terminology of sound, and the fundamental elementals of musical sound)? I am finding them a little vague so like some stuff that they would usually put on a test would help me so much.
Events (Otown,MV, )
Herpetology (2,3)
Sounds of Music (3,8 )
Fossils (2,2)
Codebusters (NA,3,)
Overall (2,1)
#tehentocult

windu34
Division: Grad
State: FL

Postby windu34 » November 30th, 2018, 10:21 am

CaTaStRoPhY wrote:The rule manual mentions "Basic terminology regarding sound, sound production, and related science terms". What does this mean, specifically? Anyone have resources for this section?

This is very broad and has alot of room for interpretation by different supervisors. Alot of tests will have terminology and questions related to music theory in this section, such as "What does forte mean?", but obviously it can be much more complicated than that. "Related science terms" could talk about magnitude and frequency of pitches. So basically, this doesnt really mean anything specifically, its quite broad, which is the intention.
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

Return to “Lab Events”