Forensics C

SilverBreeze
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Forensics C

Post by SilverBreeze » December 23rd, 2019, 7:04 pm

Jonak wrote: I did the flame test with the lights off. I previously read that sodium contamination was a thing so I was looking out for that, but I never got a yellow flame, even with sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate. With just water the flame was orange which I was previously told it was from the nichrome wire? I've also tried potassium chloride with no success. Can we use wooden splints to do the flame test? The rules say "Flame loop" but how specific is that?
Orange... Is your water hard? That reminds me of the calcium flame a bit. Check with your tournament director or proctor about wooden splints, but there's no logical reason to prohibit them. Try to stick with a flame loop, just to avoid headaches. Try switching flame loops? Maybe it's the loop itself? Is the orange color obscuring the compound colors?

I don't really know at this point, but maybe the temperature is too high or too low? Try adjusting them using the air holes at the bottom of the burner, if you're using the same kind I am. There are some videos online for flame tests, so maybe watch them and see where your lab technique is different, and try adjusting that?
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Please don’t replay rules next year.
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

Jonak
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jonak » December 25th, 2019, 3:07 pm

SilverBreeze wrote:
Jonak wrote: I did the flame test with the lights off. I previously read that sodium contamination was a thing so I was looking out for that, but I never got a yellow flame, even with sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate. With just water the flame was orange which I was previously told it was from the nichrome wire? I've also tried potassium chloride with no success. Can we use wooden splints to do the flame test? The rules say "Flame loop" but how specific is that?
Orange... Is your water hard? That reminds me of the calcium flame a bit. Check with your tournament director or proctor about wooden splints, but there's no logical reason to prohibit them. Try to stick with a flame loop, just to avoid headaches. Try switching flame loops? Maybe it's the loop itself? Is the orange color obscuring the compound colors?

I don't really know at this point, but maybe the temperature is too high or too low? Try adjusting them using the air holes at the bottom of the burner, if you're using the same kind I am. There are some videos online for flame tests, so maybe watch them and see where your lab technique is different, and try adjusting that?
I was using distilled water so that shouldn’t have been the case? I was using distilled water to wash too. I’m thinking you’re right and it was either too hot or not hot enough, I didn't play too much with the air holes though so maybe I can try that next.

TheRarePinkSheep
State: NY

Post by TheRarePinkSheep » January 1st, 2020, 9:00 am

Hello! I was scrolling through the forums and someone said not to dip directly into the chlorides, why exactly? I've had no problems directly dipping into the powders with a wet flame loop. Does it affect the results?

Also I've found difficulty with getting the potassium flame. I don't know whether it is because of sodium contamination or a poor flame, though a result does show up. Rather than the classic lilac flame, it is more of a peachy yellow that's not the glaring yellow of potassium.
2016-17: Crimebusters / Food Science / Meteorology
2017-18: Experimental Design / Material Science / Microbe Mission
2018-19: Boomilever / Forensics / Protein Modeling
2019-20: Boomilever / Detector Building / Forensics / Sounds of Music

SilverBreeze
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by SilverBreeze » January 1st, 2020, 1:00 pm

TheRarePinkSheep wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 9:00 am
Hello! I was scrolling through the forums and someone said not to dip directly into the chlorides, why exactly? I've had no problems directly dipping into the powders with a wet flame loop. Does it affect the results?

Also I've found difficulty with getting the potassium flame. I don't know whether it is because of sodium contamination or a poor flame, though a result does show up. Rather than the classic lilac flame, it is more of a peachy yellow that's not the glaring yellow of potassium.
Ah, that would be me. For me, the solution tends to be too concentrated and dry onto the flame loop. It's hard for me to get off and contaminates future results, especially since I practice with an alcohol lamp, which has a lower temperature than a bunsen burner. That means I can't check whether all of the powder came off until it's too late(as I found out the hard way). The test itself turns out fine, and if it works for you, keep doing it.

There might be slight sodium contamination, but not enough to block out the potassium. Also, for me, the flame doesn't turn up a vivid lilac, but more a faint lilac with a lot of yellow and orange mixed in. There are videos of flame tests on YouTube, I believe, and watching those might help you determine if that's just the way you perceive the flame. It might also be your lighting, and you can try turning off the lights when practicing.
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Please don’t replay rules next year.
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang » January 28th, 2020, 4:32 pm

How would you guys recommend studying for plastics?

Limke
State: PA

Post by Limke » February 4th, 2020, 6:05 am

WangwithaTang wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 4:32 pm
How would you guys recommend studying for plastics?
I would recommend repetitive practice with density solutions. Test each plastic (knowing what it is) in each solution to see what happens and take notes. After you've gotten a "feel" for the behavior of each plastic in different solutions (floating or sinking), I would just keep doing random practice tests with unknown samples and then check your answers. Whenever you get one wrong, just retest it.

Also, if possible (with the supervision of a teacher/coach, a fume hood, and other appropriate safety equipment), it may be helpful to burn the plastics (knowing what they are) so you can take notes on their behavior and observe what they do. Not all event supervisors will burn plastics, but I know my state event supervisor typically does.

With all physical evidence (fibers/powders/plastics), you are limited to what samples you can be tested on. Constant repetition and being familiar with the behavior of your samples is the best way to correctly ID them each time.
2019 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Designer Genes, Forensics, Protein Modeling.

2020 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Protein Modeling, Forensics, Sounds of Music

do not eat the forensics powders

RavidD
State: PA

Post by RavidD » February 10th, 2020, 11:03 am

Any recommendations for metal shavings? For some reason it's one of the only ones giving me trouble.

CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude » February 10th, 2020, 11:47 am

RavidD wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 11:03 am
Any recommendations for metal shavings? For some reason it's one of the only ones giving me trouble.
There are no metal shavings in Forensics. If you're in Crime Busters, though, here is a good resource: http://mypage.iu.edu/~lwoz/socrime/metanal.htm
Captain of CPSO

Member of the Builder Cult

Assassinator 139 and 147
2020 (and probably 2021) events: Ornithology, Machines, Gravity Vehicle, and Forensics
About Me!

jaspattack
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by jaspattack » February 11th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Since the rules say one note sheet per participant you can have two sheets front and back total for this event, correct? I'm working on mine for regionals and while my key for powders isn't done yet, I don't see myself needing to use the whole four pages...
2019-20 Events (C): Designer Genes, Forensics, Fossils
2018-19 Events (C): Designer Genes, Fossils, Write It Do It (Mousetrap Vehicle and Experimental Design @ Regionals)
2017-18 Events (B): Rocks and Minerals, Wright Stuff, Write It Do It
I edit the wiki sometimes.

CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude » February 11th, 2020, 4:29 pm

jaspattack wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 1:21 pm
Since the rules say one note sheet per participant you can have two sheets front and back total for this event, correct? I'm working on mine for regionals and while my key for powders isn't done yet, I don't see myself needing to use the whole four pages...
If you’re soloing, then you only get one page. If you have a partner, then yes, you get 2 front and back pages.
Captain of CPSO

Member of the Builder Cult

Assassinator 139 and 147
2020 (and probably 2021) events: Ornithology, Machines, Gravity Vehicle, and Forensics
About Me!

Return to “Lab Events”