Crime Busters B

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Crime Busters B

Post by pikachu4919 »

Crime Busters B: Given a scenario, a collection of evidence, and possible suspects, students will perform a series of tests that along with other evidence will be used to solve a crime.

Crime Busters Wiki

Recommended Lab Equipment List for Div. B

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Past Question Marathons: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
YanaB
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by YanaB »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would like to trade for Crime Busters? I am currently working on a test and have some notes. Also, I was wondering how do people get all of those google drives filled with tests through trading?
Raiderboy10

Post by Raiderboy10 »

In the 2019 rules it says each participant may bring one paper. Does that mean each team can have 2 different papers or that you can bring 2 of the same one?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Raiderboy10 wrote: October 25th, 2019, 1:08 pm In the 2019 rules it says each participant may bring one paper. Does that mean each team can have 2 different papers or that you can bring 2 of the same one?
Each human may have one sheet of paper. If your team only has one person doing the event, you get one piece of paper. If your team has two people, they get one piece each. They can be different.

(I'm not a fan of this rule. Small teams are already disadvantaged by having fewer people. Giving them less information as well is just rubbing it in.)
NewSciolyer
Division: C
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NewSciolyer »

I don't think the rule was intentionally meant that way. The way they worded doesn't seem like they're explicitly trying to convey that you can have 2 different pieces of paper.
pathfinder05
State: NC

Post by pathfinder05 »

I've been having trouble finding the reactions of the white powders and potassium iodide. I really have no way to test them out myself, so can someone help me out?
wec01
State: VA

Post by wec01 »

pathfinder05 wrote: November 25th, 2019, 12:37 pm I've been having trouble finding the reactions of the white powders and potassium iodide. I really have no way to test them out myself, so can someone help me out?
Iodine is mainly for cornstarch, which will very distinctively turn a dark blue/black, and to distinguish between sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate, as sodium carbonate will turn clear with the iodine. For me, I found it’s easiest to see this if you first dissolve the sodium carbonate in water and then add iodine. Other than cornstarch and sodium carbonate there isn’t much other use for it though.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
jimmy-bond
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

pathfinder05 wrote: November 25th, 2019, 12:37 pm I've been having trouble finding the reactions of the white powders and potassium iodide. I really have no way to test them out myself, so can someone help me out?
Cornstarch and flour turn it either black or really dark blue. Vitamin C clears. Alka Seltzer fizzes. Calcium carbonate makes it a mustardy-peanut butter color.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

wec01 wrote: November 28th, 2019, 6:07 pm
Iodine is mainly for cornstarch, which will very distinctively turn a dark blue/black, and to distinguish between sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate, as sodium carbonate will turn clear with the iodine. For me, I found it’s easiest to see this if you first dissolve the sodium carbonate in water and then add iodine. Other than cornstarch and sodium carbonate there isn’t much other use for it though.
OK, so... point of clarification... Sodium Bicarbonate is Baking Soda, and does not react with Iodine at all, only hydrochloric acid. We do not use Sodium Carbonate in Crimebusters, as it has the potential of being dangerous if mixed with the wrong chemicals. Maybe you were thinking of Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). When mixed with potassium Iodide, it will turn the iodide clear. Iodide will turn any starch a very dark blue / black. This would include cornstarch and flour.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
FiveW's
Division: C
State: IN

Post by FiveW's »

dholdgreve wrote: December 5th, 2019, 5:42 am
wec01 wrote: November 28th, 2019, 6:07 pm
OK, so... point of clarification... Sodium Bicarbonate is Baking Soda, and does not react with Iodine at all, only hydrochloric acid. We do not use Sodium Carbonate in Crimebusters, as it has the potential of being dangerous if mixed with the wrong chemicals. Maybe you were thinking of Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). When mixed with potassium Iodide, it will turn the iodide clear. Iodide will turn any starch a very dark blue / black. This would include cornstarch and flour.
Also, only white powder that fizzes in Potassium Iodide is Alka-Seltzer. In case it hasn't been stated yet.
Avocado's Law

Return to “2020 Lab Events”