Circuit Lab B/C

Creationist127
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby Creationist127 » October 17th, 2019, 5:38 am

I'm new to circuit lab this year. How do I study, besides the powerpoint and the youtube videos?
I would start by practicing circuit analysis, since this is a key aspect of the event--one that no binder can really prepare you for. Analyze a lot, and many different kinds. On tests, I always run into a few that I have no idea how to solve, and looking all over for practice problems can help mitigate that.
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines

It's not science if you don't glue your hand to it at least three times.

windu34
Division: Grad
State: FL

Postby windu34 » October 19th, 2019, 3:21 pm

I'm new to circuit lab this year. How do I study, besides the powerpoint and the youtube videos?
I would start by practicing circuit analysis, since this is a key aspect of the event--one that no binder can really prepare you for. Analyze a lot, and many different kinds. On tests, I always run into a few that I have no idea how to solve, and looking all over for practice problems can help mitigate that.
To add on - I would definitely recommend taking as many practice tests as possible. Doing problems out of circuit analysis textbooks is also a good way to learn a lot of the material. Check out Library Genesis for access to free textbook pdfs.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

codewinorbust
State: IN

Postby codewinorbust » October 21st, 2019, 7:09 am

People from last year and those who write tests: what level of difficulty could I expect for the circuit problems in tests? Looking at maybe state-level tests.

lindsmaurer
State: OH

Postby lindsmaurer » October 21st, 2019, 6:22 pm

People from last year and those who write tests: what level of difficulty could I expect for the circuit problems in tests? Looking at maybe state-level tests.
The states test in Ohio had some pretty high-level problems. I was working on the labs (there were 5) the whole time, but my partner, who is reallllly good at the theory part, didn’t finish the test and said the problems were pretty difficult.
Solon MS/ DMAH
2020:
Circuit Lab 
Codebusters
Detector Building
Fossils
Gravity Vehicle 

2019:
Circuit Lab
Road Scholar
Mystery Architecture
Herp (invite season only)
Battery (invite season only)
[b]Regionals/States/Nats:[/b]
Circuit: 1/1/_
Road: 3/1/_
Mystery: 1/2/_

windu34

Postby windu34 » October 26th, 2019, 5:12 pm

I want to make everyone aware of 3 exams that have been uploaded to the test exchange for this season. Ashernoel and I wrote a Boca Raton / New Trier tryout exam that has been posted to ensure our alma mater are not receiving any special treatment/opportunities for circuit lab practice since we are both writing and proctoring this event at a large number of tournaments this year. Additionally, UT Circuit Lab B and C have been uploaded. Specific point allocations for the problems will not be provided in the public keys.

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

NyanEric
Division: B
State: NY

Postby NyanEric » November 2nd, 2019, 10:52 am

Does anyone know a good website where it gives you good questions about ohms law, power, capacitance, etc.? I need to expand and stretch my mathematical thinking and practice more on how to do these types of questions.
"Skill always beats luck." 8-)

Umaroth
State: CA
Location: Kraemer Room 504, Troy Room 901, or studying at my dining table

Postby Umaroth » November 2nd, 2019, 10:57 am

Does anyone know a good website where it gives you good questions about ohms law, power, capacitance, etc.? I need to expand and stretch my mathematical thinking and practice more on how to do these types of questions.
You can find lots of these questions in high school AP Physics textbooks, I use Giancoli just because it's what's issued by the school for AP Physics, but there are a lot of others.
Proud Padre of Kraemer SciOly
Kraemer SciOly Co-Captain 2018-2019
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-2019
Kraemer SciOly Semi-Official Head Coach 2019-2020
2020 Tryouts: Circuit, Code, Detector, DP, GeoMaps, Machines

Umaroth's Userpage

Vive

Postby Vive » November 6th, 2019, 10:19 am

I want to make everyone aware of 3 exams that have been uploaded to the test exchange for this season. Ashernoel and I wrote a Boca Raton / New Trier tryout exam that has been posted to ensure our alma mater are not receiving any special treatment/opportunities for circuit lab practice since we are both writing and proctoring this event at a large number of tournaments this year. Additionally, UT Circuit Lab B and C have been uploaded. Specific point allocations for the problems will not be provided in the public keys.
Could you please share the link for UT Austin Circuit lab test?

windu34

Postby windu34 » November 6th, 2019, 10:47 am

Could you please share the link for UT Austin Circuit lab test?
Bernard is working on uploading the exams to this test exchange. In the meantime, they are also available on Asher's website

Return to “Lab Events”