Sounds of Music C

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Sounds of Music C

Post by Adi1008 »

Sounds of Music C: Teams must construct and tune one device prior to the tournament based on a two-octave 12-tone equal tempered scale and complete a written test on the physics of sound and music concepts.

Sounds of Music Wiki

Sounds of Music Test Exchange 2019

Sounds of Music Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2019

Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2019
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
TheMysteriousMapMan
Division: C
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by TheMysteriousMapMan »

The rules have gotten a lot more rigorous this year–am I correct in thinking that this is a medium between the rules last year and when it was in rotation previously? The octave jump, as well as the possible bonus mean that instruments might need to be more than one section or string in order to be competitive. It also seems like instruments that can produce a constant pitch because it is averaged are better. Am I correct in this, or is it negligible?
2020 Events: Astronomy, Experimental Design, Detector Building, Ornithology, Sounds of Music.

Unsuccessful Assassinator of Game 143.

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

TheMysteriousMapMan wrote: September 10th, 2019, 6:26 am The rules have gotten a lot more rigorous this year–am I correct in thinking that this is a medium between the rules last year and when it was in rotation previously? The octave jump, as well as the possible bonus mean that instruments might need to be more than one section or string in order to be competitive. It also seems like instruments that can produce a constant pitch because it is averaged are better. Am I correct in this, or is it negligible?
The length of measurement for the pitch test is smaller than last year - hopefully, this produces less of a bias toward instruments that can hold a pitch longer, which was an issue last year. Best pitch over the measurement period is of course not viable because it's relatively easy to just cross the perfect pitch at random.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
FranklinHung
Has thanked: 0

Post by FranklinHung »

What instruments are you planning on constructing this year?
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

FranklinHung wrote: September 12th, 2019, 4:16 am What instruments are you planning on constructing this year?
Im probably going to make a guitar since we need to play a song now
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
Crimesolver
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

terence.tan wrote: September 12th, 2019, 5:44 am
FranklinHung wrote: September 12th, 2019, 4:16 am What instruments are you planning on constructing this year?
Im probably going to make a guitar since we need to play a song now
keep in mind you have to jump from a low octave to a high octave
Keep on going :)
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Either a flute or some string instrument using viola strings.
photolithoautotroph

Post by photolithoautotroph »

Anyone know if neck or body blanks for guitars are allowed? The rules say no parts of professional instruments but I feel like they would be allowed since you have to cut them to the right size and in the right shape (especially the neck blank since its just a block of wood).
i wish i was good :cry:
Events 2019: Expd, Water, Herp
Rip states 2019
ericlepanda
State: IL

Post by ericlepanda »

photolithoautotroph wrote: September 21st, 2019, 5:55 pm Anyone know if neck or body blanks for guitars are allowed? The rules say no parts of professional instruments but I feel like they would be allowed since you have to cut them to the right size and in the right shape (especially the neck blank since its just a block of wood).
You could argue that the blanks are not parts of professional instruments as they require significant modification to serve that purpose. You could also just leave out the fact that you're using blanks specifically for guitars in your documentation by just listing them as hard maple planks or something like that.
ntso
quack quack
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

ericlepanda wrote: September 21st, 2019, 6:03 pm
photolithoautotroph wrote: September 21st, 2019, 5:55 pm Anyone know if neck or body blanks for guitars are allowed? The rules say no parts of professional instruments but I feel like they would be allowed since you have to cut them to the right size and in the right shape (especially the neck blank since its just a block of wood).
You could argue that the blanks are not parts of professional instruments as they require significant modification to serve that purpose. You could also just leave out the fact that you're using blanks specifically for guitars in your documentation by just listing them as hard maple planks or something like that.
That last sentence sounds a little unethical...

Return to “2020 Lab Events”