Density Lab B

AwesomeSauceis1
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Density Lab B

Post by AwesomeSauceis1 »

So I was at a competition, and one of the labs had two shapes like the image below that appeared to be 3D printed. The task was to find the surface area of their top faces using calipers and a scale. Can anyone explain how to accomplish this and similar tasks in the future as answer keys for the labs were not distributed? (Note: the left one is a square, so I got that one, but not the other)

FiveW's
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by FiveW's »

AwesomeSauceis1 wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 11:05 pm So I was at a competition, and one of the labs had two shapes like the image below that appeared to be 3D printed. The task was to find the surface area of their top faces using calipers and a scale. Can anyone explain how to accomplish this and similar tasks in the future as answer keys for the labs were not distributed? (Note: the left one is a square, so I got that one, but not the other)

I'm not sure, but I personally would try separating it into three parts and find the surface area of those parts added. Those parts being a triangle, rectangle, and semi-circle.
Avocado's Law
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

FiveW's wrote: December 24th, 2019, 9:04 am
AwesomeSauceis1 wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 11:05 pm So I was at a competition, and one of the labs had two shapes like the image below that appeared to be 3D printed. The task was to find the surface area of their top faces using calipers and a scale. Can anyone explain how to accomplish this and similar tasks in the future as answer keys for the labs were not distributed? (Note: the left one is a square, so I got that one, but not the other)

I'm not sure, but I personally would try separating it into three parts and find the surface area of those parts added. Those parts being a triangle, rectangle, and semi-circle.
I might be misinterpreting, and I have no background in Density Lab, so please excuse any mistakes I make, but I believe you might be able to calculate the right shape using the scale? Since you already have the top surface area of the square, you can weigh the square and divide to determine how much one square centimeter(or another unit) weighs(mass/area). Assume equal thickness and density and weigh the second shape. Divide that by the conversion factor you just created, so the new mass*(area/mass)=area.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
AwesomeSauceis1

Post by AwesomeSauceis1 »

SilverBreeze wrote:
FiveW's wrote: December 24th, 2019, 9:04 am

I might be misinterpreting, and I have no background in Density Lab, so please excuse any mistakes I make, but I believe you might be able to calculate the right shape using the scale? Since you already have the top surface area of the square, you can weigh the square and divide to determine how much one square centimeter(or another unit) weighs(mass/area). Assume equal thickness and density and weigh the second shape. Divide that by the conversion factor you just created, so the new mass*(area/mass)=area.
Wow thanks a lot that seems really obvious now argh
dramaqueenbling

Post by dramaqueenbling »

What is a non-adiabatic process calculations or assumptions?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

dramaqueenbling wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 7:29 pm What is a non-adiabatic process calculations or assumptions?
Adiabatic refers to net heat transfer. So iirc you can assume energy isn't entering or leaving the system in the form of heat.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dramaqueenbling

Post by dramaqueenbling »

I have never competed in this event before so are there any super important things I need to read up on or study that come up often in this event?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

dramaqueenbling wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 11:31 am I have never competed in this event before so are there any super important things I need to read up on or study that come up often in this event?
Significant figures are explicitly called out in the Density Lab rules (most B events don't require you to get this right). Note that SO has somewhat idiosyncratic rounding rules that might not match what you expect. The rules contain five (I think) topics that must come up in questions.
FiveW's
State: IN

Post by FiveW's »

dramaqueenbling wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 11:31 am I have never competed in this event before so are there any super important things I need to read up on or study that come up often in this event?
Study all types of density and gas laws as they are the bigger portions on most tests. Also, remember Significant Figures because they do matter.
Avocado's Law
trehank
Division: B
State: OH

Post by trehank »

Hi, I have never competed in Density lab before. I have no clue what to put in my binder for this event. Does anyone have any resources or suggestions of what I should put in it and where to find this? I would really appreciate it. Also, looking at the rules it says that 50% of our grade is the hands-on lab. Are there any good ways to practice these labs?

Return to “2020 Lab Events”