Density Lab B

jaah5211
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: October 22nd, 2017, 7:42 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Density Lab B

Post by jaah5211 » November 26th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Would questions about unit cells for solid density be considered too much or difficult for Density lab event?
2019 - 2020
Chemistry Lab, Protein Modeling, Forensics.

splane21
Member
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: June 26th, 2018, 7:11 am
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: Georgia Tech
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Density Lab B

Post by splane21 » November 26th, 2019, 1:07 pm

jaah5211 wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 12:22 pm
Would questions about unit cells for solid density be considered too much or difficult for Density lab event?
I think conceptually yes. This isn't a topic that is even extensively covered in high school Chemistry and I know a lot of college students who struggle to understand unit cells conceptually in my Materials Science Class. I can't imagine middle school students dealing with it.

I suppose you could give them the formula and have them plug numbers in but I'm not sure what the point of that would be. Having them plug numbers into a formula just tests their math skill.
Carmel HS (IN) '19
Georgia Tech (GA) '23

1st Chemistry Lab-Nationals 2019
1st Experimental Design-Nationals 2019

jaah5211
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: October 22nd, 2017, 7:42 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Density Lab B

Post by jaah5211 » November 26th, 2019, 2:08 pm

splane21 wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 1:07 pm
jaah5211 wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 12:22 pm
Would questions about unit cells for solid density be considered too much or difficult for Density lab event?
I think conceptually yes. This isn't a topic that is even extensively covered in high school Chemistry and I know a lot of college students who struggle to understand unit cells conceptually in my Materials Science Class. I can't imagine middle school students dealing with it.

I suppose you could give them the formula and have them plug numbers in but I'm not sure what the point of that would be. Having them plug numbers into a formula just tests their math skill.
Good point. I was having trouble finding questions about solid density.
Since I usually study chemistry, that was the closest concept based questions that I could ask...

I was planning to include bcc and fcc. Then ask about packing efficiency and denisty, but i agree that it is too much for density lab for division B.
2019 - 2020
Chemistry Lab, Protein Modeling, Forensics.

jaah5211
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: October 22nd, 2017, 7:42 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Density Lab B

Post by jaah5211 » November 27th, 2019, 8:36 am

Would phase diagram be too much for density as well?
2019 - 2020
Chemistry Lab, Protein Modeling, Forensics.

AquaFlame485
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: September 23rd, 2019, 4:04 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Density Lab B

Post by AquaFlame485 » December 15th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Mwang12324161 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 5:59 pm
At 2019 NC states there was a lab where you calculated the density of shaving cream. You sprayed some foam on a paper towel and sucked up a given amount using a syringe and calculated that density, then compressed the syringe a given amount and calculated that density. It was pretty bad because trying to compress the syringe and measure its mass at the same time is hard. Piedmont squirted foam all over my partner, too. It was an accident though.
yo that was us i was the one with black hair

NSCDS3RdCaptain
Member
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: March 6th, 2019, 6:10 pm
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Density Lab B

Post by NSCDS3RdCaptain » December 16th, 2019, 6:20 am

Is stoichiometry allowed in Density Lab?
Thermodynamics 3/26/x
Thermodynamics 7/ /x
Water Quality 3/ /x
Battery Buggy 1/2/x
Battery Buggy 2/ /x
Ecology 3/12/x
Optics 4/26/x
Density Lab 4/ /x

User avatar
NewSciolyer
Member
Member
Posts: 55
Joined: March 19th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Density Lab B

Post by NewSciolyer » December 16th, 2019, 6:39 am

I dont' think that is necessary in Density lab. I have a question though, how is the hands-on portion of the task graded? Last invitationals my partner and I (it was the skittles one) just wrote down the answer after calculating it in our calculators. Do you have to write a step by step of how you found it? Thanks.

knightmoves
Member
Member
Posts: 284
Joined: April 26th, 2018, 6:40 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Density Lab B

Post by knightmoves » December 20th, 2019, 2:30 pm

NewSciolyer wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 6:39 am
I dont' think that is necessary in Density lab. I have a question though, how is the hands-on portion of the task graded? Last invitationals my partner and I (it was the skittles one) just wrote down the answer after calculating it in our calculators. Do you have to write a step by step of how you found it? Thanks.
Depends on the ES. In general, I'd assume that an ES wants to see your raw data recorded (because this is science - we record the raw data) and wants to see you compute the answer preserving the correct number of sig figs. I'd also assume that on the typical question there'd be partial credit available for doing the right thing even if you made a mistake somewhere - if you just write down the answer, you give up any chance of that.

knightmoves
Member
Member
Posts: 284
Joined: April 26th, 2018, 6:40 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Density Lab B

Post by knightmoves » December 20th, 2019, 2:35 pm

NSCDS3RdCaptain wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 6:20 am
Is stoichiometry allowed in Density Lab?
Depends on what you're asking, I think. It's not on the syllabus, and in general it doesn't fall into the realm of "science middle school kids probably know", so don't go digging around in your HS Chem text for stoichiometry questions. But some stoichiometry questions are basically common sense - it doesn't take specialist knowledge to be told that hydrogen and oxygen gas react in a 2:1 ratio to make water, and to draw conclusions based on that.

User avatar
NewSciolyer
Member
Member
Posts: 55
Joined: March 19th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Density Lab B

Post by NewSciolyer » December 23rd, 2019, 10:19 am

Thanks!

Locked

Return to “2020 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests