Crime Busters B

aakoala
Division: C
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by aakoala »

Crimesolver wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:24 pm Here's a website I created to simulate lab for crime busters!- https://crimebusters-simulator.netlify.app/
Hi! I really like your website and it's very useful! I just have a question about calcium carbonate (CaCO3). I see that your website has calcium carbonate with a pH of 6. I saw previous posts in this forum about how pHs may vary, but I have calcium carbonate as a pH of 8. Can the pH vary by that much or is my information wrong? I can't find anything on the internet, because a lot of websites say that it varies.
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

aakoala wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:09 am
Crimesolver wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:24 pm Here's a website I created to simulate lab for crime busters!- https://crimebusters-simulator.netlify.app/
Hi! I really like your website and it's very useful! I just have a question about calcium carbonate (CaCO3). I see that your website has calcium carbonate with a pH of 6. I saw previous posts in this forum about how pHs may vary, but I have calcium carbonate as a pH of 8. Can the pH vary by that much or is my information wrong? I can't find anything on the internet, because a lot of websites say that it varies.
In my experience, pH does seem to vary quite a bit for most substances. You might be better off putting a range of values on your info sheet.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
aakoala

Post by aakoala »

Tailsfan101 wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:21 am
aakoala wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:09 am
In my experience, pH does seem to vary quite a bit for most substances. You might be better off putting a range of values on your info sheet.
Ok, thanks!
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
SamTheFam
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SamTheFam »

Does anyone know where I can get more accurate graphs of liquids, powders, and metals for my cheat sheet? I have metal, liquid and powder graphs on my cheat sheet from the wiki but I feel that there are more accurate charts that have more specific and accurate information. If anyone knows any accurate charts that could help me that would be greatly appreciated.
SarahYe
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0

Post by SarahYe »

SamTheFam wrote: May 31st, 2021, 9:01 am Does anyone know where I can get more accurate graphs of liquids, powders, and metals for my cheat sheet? I have metal, liquid and powder graphs on my cheat sheet from the wiki but I feel that there are more accurate charts that have more specific and accurate information. If anyone knows any accurate charts that could help me that would be greatly appreciated.
Hey Sami! A good idea is to make them yourself! :]
Tjhas2cats
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Tjhas2cats »

Quick question. What should a good plastic identification chart include? If possible, could anyone please send me a link to an informative and helpful plastics chart? Thank you so much.
aakoala

Post by aakoala »

Tjhas2cats wrote: June 25th, 2021, 1:29 pm Quick question. What should a good plastic identification chart include? If possible, could anyone please send me a link to an informative and helpful plastics chart? Thank you so much.
My cheatsheet includes a density flow chart (which plastics float in which solution), density, uses, recycling code, etc. There's a lot of things you can add! Good luck!
These users thanked the author aakoala for the post:
Tjhas2cats (June 30th, 2021, 3:31 pm)
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
aakoala

Post by aakoala »

How do most people use pictures to tell the difference between animal, vegetable, and synthetic fibers? There are a lot of different varieties of each and I don't know how to accurately determine which it is.
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azboy1910 »

aakoala wrote: August 5th, 2021, 7:16 am How do most people use pictures to tell the difference between animal, vegetable, and synthetic fibers? There are a lot of different varieties of each and I don't know how to accurately determine which it is.
This is me speaking from experience, but generally variety within fiber types is often because the magnification of the microscopes used to take the images of the fibers you find from searching on the internet is different. As an example, you may not be able to see the scales on a wool fiber under a microscope if the magnification isn't high enough.

However, natural fibers usually have imperfections in width under a microscope. On the contrary, synthetic fibers usually are the same in width since they are man-made. After this, distinguishing between vegetable and animal fibers is normally just a matter of patterns.

Hope this helped! Let me know if you need me to clarify anything, since most of the stuff I usually say doesn't make a lot of sense :(
Last edited by azboy1910 on August 6th, 2021, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author azboy1910 for the post (total 2):
aakoala (August 6th, 2021, 9:24 am) • drcubbin (August 11th, 2021, 9:35 am)

Return to “2021 Lab Events”