Crime Busters B

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Crime Busters B

Post by pikachu4919 »

Crime Busters B: Given a scenario, a collection of evidence, and possible suspects, students will perform a series of tests that along with other evidence will be used to solve a crime.

Crime Busters Wiki

Recommended Lab Equipment List for Div. B

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

Past Question Marathons: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Crimesolver
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Crimesolver »

Here's a website I created to simulate lab for crime busters!- https://crimebusters-simulator.netlify.app/
These users thanked the author Crimesolver for the post (total 6):
azboy1910 (September 13th, 2020, 4:21 pm) • CPScienceDude (September 13th, 2020, 5:04 pm) • jaspattack (September 13th, 2020, 5:58 pm) • gz839918 (September 13th, 2020, 9:04 pm) • SilverBreeze (September 16th, 2020, 10:45 am) • sneepity (September 17th, 2020, 5:09 am)
Keep on going :)
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by azboy1910 »

Crimesolver wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:24 pm Here's a website I created to simulate lab for crime busters!- https://crimebusters-simulator.netlify.app/
This is really cool and useful and I know this will be helpful to many teams, including ours. Thank you!
These users thanked the author azboy1910 for the post (total 2):
jaspattack (September 13th, 2020, 5:58 pm) • Crimesolver (September 17th, 2020, 8:17 am)
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

Crimesolver wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:24 pm Here's a website I created to simulate lab for crime busters!- https://crimebusters-simulator.netlify.app/
This is amazing! I'm being super nitpicky but the iodine sample should turn clear with Vit C (although I believe it's the only acid on the list so pH should be enough to ID anyway).
These users thanked the author SilverBreeze for the post:
Crimesolver (September 17th, 2020, 8:17 am)
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
Crimesolver

Post by Crimesolver »

SilverBreeze wrote: September 16th, 2020, 10:45 am

This is amazing! I'm being super nitpicky but the iodine sample should turn clear with Vit C (although I believe it's the only acid on the list so pH should be enough to ID anyway).
I got that fixed! I totally forgot to include that, so thanks for letting me know!
These users thanked the author Crimesolver for the post (total 2):
azboy1910 (September 16th, 2020, 6:38 pm) • SilverBreeze (September 17th, 2020, 1:41 am)
Keep on going :)
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

A note for test writers going by the MiniSO model: some Crime Busters powders can only be identified by appearance. If you choose to not provide pictures or a description of the powder, please make sure the powders you chose can be uniquely identified from the test results you provide. For example, salt and sugar don't react to anything and have the same pH and can only be identified by crystal shape. Cornstarch and flour both turn purple/black in iodine but have distinct appearances and textures.

Be careful with using pH to ID, as a lot of powders are very close to neutral and deviations are usually specific to the sample used (for example, the wiki says sand has a pH of 6, but it could be 7 or 8 depending on where the sand is from and what other compounds are in it). Additionally, pH is dependent on concentration, so if your ratio of sample to water is significantly different from what competitors are used to, you will get different pHs.
These users thanked the author SilverBreeze for the post (total 2):
sneepity (September 17th, 2020, 5:08 am) • gz839918 (September 18th, 2020, 7:44 am)
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
sneepity
State: NY

Post by sneepity »

I absolutely love how simple, yet adorable this is! The illustrations are cute, and it runs very smoothly (esp the fizzing gif). Most importantly, I like the accurate information and details. I say this has a lot of potential, and you can expand on the website! (more categories instead of only powders) Thank you so much for creating it! :)))) I'll definitely use this for practice.
edits: spelling
Last edited by sneepity on September 17th, 2020, 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author sneepity for the post:
Crimesolver (September 17th, 2020, 8:17 am)
B)
stenopushispidus
State: HI

Post by stenopushispidus »

Does anyone know which crime busters tests from invitationals (2019-2021) have information/descriptions on powders, liquids, and metals rather than having in person chemicals?
i try to exist sometimes

Tournament Volunteering:
• Co-Writer/Grader for Menomonie Dynamic Planet (B)
• Co-Writer/Grader for Menomonie Water Quality (B)
• Writer/Grader for February SMEC Water Quality (C)
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

stenopushispidus wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 3:27 pm Does anyone know which crime busters tests from invitationals (2019-2021) have information/descriptions on powders, liquids, and metals rather than having in person chemicals?
I’m not sure, but honestly as long as you can ID the unknown by test results, that should be enough to do well on a dry lab. I’d suggest adding common uses and unique properties of each chemical to your sheet if you don’t have them already. I can look when I get home and I’ll edit this post if I find any.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
diyam
Division: B
State: WA

Post by diyam »

stenopushispidus wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 3:27 pm Does anyone know which crime busters tests from invitationals (2019-2021) have information/descriptions on powders, liquids, and metals rather than having in person chemicals?
Hey! Most tests do not have the description, and this is something we struggled with as well.
Our team coach however, gathered tests from invitationals we did not attend from this year, and we practiced using those.
If all else fails, you can ask your event coach to do the meticulous job of transcribing the test key into a description

ie. if the answer to evidence 3 was Vitamin C, your event coach would modify the question so that instead of asking what powder it is, the question would ask about which powder is white and turns iodine clear? (of course much more detail can be added, so make sure to provide your coach with a table such as this one: https://lwsd-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/pe ... Q?e=dEmJAr (this is just a compiled copy pasted document that I made. The password is CrimeBusters2021)

I hope this helps! Please let me know if anything I said was confusing, because it was worded a little odd
These users thanked the author diyam for the post:
stenopushispidus (January 5th, 2021, 8:25 pm)

Return to “2021 Lab Events”