Food Science B

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Food Science B

Post by pikachu4919 »

Food Science B: Students will answer questions on food chemistry with a focus on fermentation and pickling. In addition, participants will build a salinometer/hydrometer capable of measuring salt compositions between 1-10% (mass/volume).

Food Science Wiki

Food Science Test Exchange

Recommended Lab Equipment List for Div. B

Past Threads:
2011 (Trial), 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2020

Past Question Marathons: 2016, 2017, 2020
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Food Science B

Post by azboy1910 »

For anyone still wondering, the rules haven't changed that much, so if you've competed in this event last year and have and gone over the rules from last year, it's basically the same.
PKinakin
State: FL

Post by PKinakin »

Do you know what types of bacteria genera and species that we will need to know? For example, when I looked over the Chattahooche invite from a long time ago, I saw that we needed to know the Clostridium, the Penicillium, the Lactobacillus, and the Saccharomyces genera were all listed in the "Microscopic Images" section.
Advith9
State: KS
Been thanked: 0

Post by Advith9 »

Does anyone have any recent practice tests that I could borrow. I have only been able to find a few practice tests, but those were over the previous theme of the food science event (so they weren't over fermentation and pickeling). In the scioly test exchange, there are a lot of recent practice tests for all the other events but none for food science.

Thanks!
Advith9

Post by Advith9 »

PKinakin wrote: November 28th, 2020, 8:14 am Do you know what types of bacteria genera and species that we will need to know? For example, when I looked over the Chattahooche invite from a long time ago, I saw that we needed to know the Clostridium, the Penicillium, the Lactobacillus, and the Saccharomyces genera were all listed in the "Microscopic Images" section.
I'm not sure what exactly we need to know regarding what you mentioned because the rules manual doesn't specifically say anything. However, in the example questions (in the rulebook), they ask "what bacteria is typically used to make kombucha?" and "which of these pictures is Lactobacillus?" Based on that I think having a solid understanding of the bacteria you mentioned would be helpful. If anyone else has a more specific answer that would be great!
Last edited by Advith9 on December 29th, 2020, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverWalker88
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NM

Post by RiverWalker88 »

Advith9 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 10:56 am Does anyone have any recent practice tests that I could borrow. I have only been able to find a few practice tests, but those were over the previous theme of the food science event (so they weren't over fermentation and pickeling). In the scioly test exchange, there are a lot of recent practice tests for all the other events but none for food science.

Thanks!
You can find some full tournament test sets on the 2020 Test Exchange Wiki Page and the 2021 Test Exchange Wiki Page. These contain all of the events for invitationals that chose to release them.
These users thanked the author RiverWalker88 for the post:
Advith9 (January 1st, 2021, 6:42 am)
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology '26, Physics
Advith9

Post by Advith9 »

RiverWalker88 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 11:23 am
Advith9 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 10:56 am Does anyone have any recent practice tests that I could borrow. I have only been able to find a few practice tests, but those were over the previous theme of the food science event (so they weren't over fermentation and pickeling). In the scioly test exchange, there are a lot of recent practice tests for all the other events but none for food science.

Thanks!
You can find some full tournament test sets on the 2020 Test Exchange Wiki Page and the 2021 Test Exchange Wiki Page. These contain all of the events for invitationals that chose to release them.
So I looked at the test exchange and there aren't any tests under the food science section. I also looked at the invitational tests some tournament managers have published and for some reason they don't have food science. It's totally fine if they don't have anything, I just was wondering because I wanted to practice the concepts I learned.

Thanks
Advith
RiverWalker88
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NM

Post by RiverWalker88 »

Advith9 wrote: January 5th, 2021, 10:42 am

Thanks!
So I looked at the test exchange and there aren't any tests under the food science section. I also looked at the invitational tests some tournament managers have published and for some reason they don't have food science. It's totally fine if they don't have anything, I just was wondering because I wanted to practice the concepts I learned.

Thanks
Advith
It appears that the released sets for Division B and Division B/C here all have a Food Science test in them. If you go to these links, they will take you to a Google Drive folder that has a food science test hidden somewhere in it.
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology '26, Physics
Advith9

Post by Advith9 »

RiverWalker88 wrote: January 5th, 2021, 11:26 am
Advith9 wrote: January 5th, 2021, 10:42 am

Thanks
Advith
It appears that the released sets for Division B and Division B/C here all have a Food Science test in them. If you go to these links, they will take you to a Google Drive folder that has a food science test hidden somewhere in it.
Thanks you so much!
zainabf
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0

Post by zainabf »

Does anyone knows how to crush food science at regionals Division B will the current scioly wiki be useful for cheat sheets?

Return to “2021 Lab Events”