Forensics C

SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Forensics C

Post by SilverBreeze »

Crime/Forensics writers: please please please say what a reaction is (e.g. "fizzes"), not just whether it reacted (e.g. "yes").
Odor and precipitation are different. Turning orange and turning blue are different.

EDIT: Also, please don't do the "each row has a mistake; find the mistake" thing. A lot of times when the results contradict themselves, students end up having to go off pH, which is not reliable when you can't do the lab yourself. Even if it's technically possible to solve, it's contrived and doesn't make me love science more.
Before someone tells me "it's realistic and you make mistakes in the lab," it's not the same thing. I know which tests I'm likely to mess up and which ones I am not. I'm probably not going to mistake a lilac flame for a red one, or think the solution turned dark blue when it didn't. I might mess up pH or sometimes solubility, and sodium contamination can make a flame turn yellow, so I trust those tests less.
Last edited by SilverBreeze on February 25th, 2021, 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author SilverBreeze for the post (total 4):
twoplustwoisten (February 21st, 2021, 11:08 am) • CPScienceDude (February 22nd, 2021, 5:21 am) • shrewdPanther46 (February 22nd, 2021, 6:24 am) • azboy1910 (February 24th, 2021, 10:15 am)
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Hi all!

We're running Forensics for this month's SMEC! To learn more, head over to our forums thread and register at the google form here!
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
learner2
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by learner2 »

Hi! Do you guys know if calcium nitrate and NaOH form a precipitate? I know that magnesium sulfate and NaOH definitely forms a precipitate, but I'm not sure about calcium nitrate.
If not, what I can use to identify these two powders?
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

learner2 wrote: June 5th, 2021, 5:55 pm Hi! Do you guys know if calcium nitrate and NaOH form a precipitate? I know that magnesium sulfate and NaOH definitely forms a precipitate, but I'm not sure about calcium nitrate.
If not, what I can use to identify these two powders?
Yes, calcium nitrate does precipitate with NaOH.
These users thanked the author pikachu4919 for the post:
learner2 (June 20th, 2021, 4:32 pm)
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!

Return to “2021 Lab Events”