Experimental Design B/C

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Experimental Design B/C

Post by Adi1008 »

Experimental Design B/C: This event will determine a participant's ability on-site to design, conduct and report the findings of an experiment.

Experimental Design Wiki

Experimental Design Test Exchange 2020

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

Past Question Marathons: 2019, 2020
Last edited by Adi1008 on August 17th, 2020, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
LiliaS
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by LiliaS »

Hey, so they are holding this event as an actual event at a competition my school is attending. Does anyone know how it will be run virtually considering partners may not be together and some experiments may not be able to be performed at home?
RiverWalker88
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NM

Post by RiverWalker88 »

LiliaS wrote: December 24th, 2020, 9:25 am Hey, so they are holding this event as an actual event at a competition my school is attending. Does anyone know how it will be run virtually considering partners may not be together and some experiments may not be able to be performed at home?
Hey! This event can be run a number of ways this year, so you will want to get in contact with the tournament director for the competition you are attending, as it will likely be different for every competition. Here are a few ways it could be run, though.
  • It is run as normal experimental design, except that every person is permitted their own set of materials and an experiment is conducted from home (only one person actually needs to conduct it, but anyone can). These materials are likely going to be really basic (paper, pencils, door, etc.) and something that almost everyone has without fail. The topic won't be super involved because there are a bunch of different circumstances it needs to meet.
  • It will be run as experimental design for the first part of the experiment, where you design a theoretical experiment, and then are provided data to perform an analysis for an unrelated experiment for the second part so you don't actually have to run an experiment, you just design one and then analyze data from a completely different one. I haven't seen this one a lot (or even at all, for that matter), so I wouldn't expect to see it.
  • They will run Experimental Design and Data Analysis instead. Similarly as above, you design the first part, but then you take a test on statistics and data analysis for the second part.
These are just speculations, though. I would check with the tournament director, as there are tons of possibilities for this event, and tons of considerations.
Good luck at your upcoming competition :D!
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology '26, Physics
theprimegrinder

Post by theprimegrinder »

Yeah, for EXD, I've seen it both as Experimental Design & Data Analysis & regular EXD.
LiliaS
Been thanked: 0

Post by LiliaS »

RiverWalker88 wrote: December 24th, 2020, 12:40 pm
LiliaS wrote: December 24th, 2020, 9:25 am Hey, so they are holding this event as an actual event at a competition my school is attending. Does anyone know how it will be run virtually considering partners may not be together and some experiments may not be able to be performed at home?
Hey! This event can be run a number of ways this year, so you will want to get in contact with the tournament director for the competition you are attending, as it will likely be different for every competition. Here are a few ways it could be run, though.
  • It is run as normal experimental design, except that every person is permitted their own set of materials and an experiment is conducted from home (only one person actually needs to conduct it, but anyone can). These materials are likely going to be really basic (paper, pencils, door, etc.) and something that almost everyone has without fail. The topic won't be super involved because there are a bunch of different circumstances it needs to meet.
  • It will be run as experimental design for the first part of the experiment, where you design a theoretical experiment, and then are provided data to perform an analysis for an unrelated experiment for the second part so you don't actually have to run an experiment, you just design one and then analyze data from a completely different one. I haven't seen this one a lot (or even at all, for that matter), so I wouldn't expect to see it.
  • They will run Experimental Design and Data Analysis instead. Similarly as above, you design the first part, but then you take a test on statistics and data analysis for the second part.
These are just speculations, though. I would check with the tournament director, as there are tons of possibilities for this event, and tons of considerations.
Good luck at your upcoming competition :D!
Thanks! At my invitational, they had the first part just like normal: they gave materials and a topic and we had to write the question, hypothesis, variables, materials, procedure, and we got 15 extra minutes to submit set-up diagrams. The second part was basically like your third suggestion. They gave a scenario and we analyzed a hypothetical experiment, and they gave data in a chart or graph and we analyzed it. Obviously different invitationals will run it differently, but for anyone who is going to take it, this is a possible way of formatting the test.
Booknerd
State: IL

Post by Booknerd »

I know that preparation for experimental design is mostly comprised of practice doing experiments and writeups with your team, but does anyone have any tips for preparing individually? My partners and I each have gotten busier this year with other priorities, and so it's been harder for us to find times to practice together. As much as I want to have more practices so we can be better prepared for our next competition, I also want to be respectful of their own personal lives and not become too demanding with their time. But I don't know any other way to prepare other than practicing with my partners. Does anyone know any ways to prepare for expd individually?
We don't talk about Pentathlon.
danielkimzs
State: OH

Post by danielkimzs »

Booknerd wrote: March 24th, 2021, 2:56 pm I know that preparation for experimental design is mostly comprised of practice doing experiments and writeups with your team, but does anyone have any tips for preparing individually? My partners and I each have gotten busier this year with other priorities, and so it's been harder for us to find times to practice together. As much as I want to have more practices so we can be better prepared for our next competition, I also want to be respectful of their own personal lives and not become too demanding with their time. But I don't know any other way to prepare other than practicing with my partners. Does anyone know any ways to prepare for expd individually?
Hello!
Experimental Design is basically just following the rubric that's provided. The best way to do this is to memorize the entire rubric and all the rules that go with it. You should do this regardless of "your section" as you never know what may happen in a time-sensitive event. The best way to practice memorizing it is to just run a fake experiment. You can just make it all up. The data, the experiment, you don't really need to run it. Just practicing what or how you will write something will be really good for time efficiency. For the data section, working on how you can calculate things as efficiently as possible while still getting all the point is really important. Our expd coach said that we basically have our answer key for the test, we just have to remember it. I have also tried using quizlet/anki to memorize the rubric, however until you've run multiple experiments where you know what each part means, it has little meaning. Thus, it's hard to remember. These are just a few things y'all can do by yourself~

Another thing you could do is to coordinate who will do what on the test far ahead of the competition. This allows you to become specialized in a certain section and go very fast. For example, my team has it so I do the graph and statistics and some CER, while another will do the beginning and procedure, while another does conclusion, CER, runs the experiment etc. If you can just figure this out, it will help you do much better, and you don't necessarily have to "practice together" many times. Despite this, I recommend you try at least one practice test to ensure everything flows smoothly.
These users thanked the author danielkimzs for the post:
Booknerd (March 29th, 2021, 4:22 pm)
vye904
Division: C

Post by vye904 »

Booknerd wrote: March 24th, 2021, 2:56 pm I know that preparation for experimental design is mostly comprised of practice doing experiments and writeups with your team, but does anyone have any tips for preparing individually? My partners and I each have gotten busier this year with other priorities, and so it's been harder for us to find times to practice together. As much as I want to have more practices so we can be better prepared for our next competition, I also want to be respectful of their own personal lives and not become too demanding with their time. But I don't know any other way to prepare other than practicing with my partners. Does anyone know any ways to prepare for expd individually?
If you and your partners are splitting the test into portions, you can work on refining your part. For example, if you were doing the statistics, graph, and quantitative data sections, you can practice doing calculations faster. This way, you’ll be able to save more time to check over and help your teammates if needed. It can also be a good idea to go over the rubric and make a game plan for how you can get max points in the section you do. If you were doing the CER and writing-based analysis sections, you can work on making a template that works for every experiment and will get you max or close to max points. You can also go over some basic concepts in physics and chemistry so you will have a better idea of scientific laws to back up your hypothesis. It’s probably most beneficial to be familiar with physics laws since they can be applied to most experiments. If you want, you can even take a test by yourself and only do the sections you will do at an actual competition. You can do this by making up data or using a random number generator to analyze and do calculations with.
These users thanked the author vye904 for the post:
Booknerd (March 25th, 2021, 11:16 am)
Jehosaphat
State: MI

Post by Jehosaphat »

Really just doing mock experiments by myself is what I do. I don't necessarily write it all out, but just repetition is what you need for experimental design. My partners and I have gotten really good at finding a way to use the materials to make the same basic experiment almost every time, in order to save time and brainpower. Having time to go back through your rushed work and refine your ideas will save tons of points.
These users thanked the author Jehosaphat for the post:
Booknerd (March 29th, 2021, 4:22 pm)
Waiting for the return of Ecology all by myself
HHS '22
Hope '26
danielkimzs
State: OH

Post by danielkimzs »

yeah, we try to do the same thing