Game On B

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Game On B

Post by Adi1008 »

Game On B: This event will determine a team's ability to design and build an original computer game using the program Scratch incorporating the scientific theme provided to them by the supervisor.

Game On Wiki

Game On Test Exchange 2020

Past Threads: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

Past Question Marathons: 2015, 2020
Last edited by Adi1008 on August 17th, 2020, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
stlcards422
Division: B
State: MD
Been thanked: 0

Re: Game On B

Post by stlcards422 »

Question; how complicated does the game us usually need to be to win? And are there any examples? Also, how do you find music since you can't download any and the libary aren't good (choppy)
Last edited by stlcards422 on November 1st, 2020, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

stlcards422 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:42 am Question; how complicated does the game us usually need to be to win? And are there any examples? Also, how do you find music since you can't download any and the libary aren't good (choppy)
tHeOreEtiCaLLy if you have a lot of time you can stitch together a quick tune with the music blocks but that takes away time you could be using for working on the actual game. Microphone sound effects also tend to suck because mic quality- I just pull a loop from the Scratch library and have it run in the background and supplement it with sound effects that fire when things happen in the game (like a ding when you collect something).
For some examples? maybe https://scratch.mit.edu/classes/165734/students/ MD's 2019 Regionals games, each 'student' is a different team (CodeNinjas teams were for the separate trial running of the event). Debatable quality because this was regionals and not Nats or something, but there's some decent games here
Person-v132’s Game On guide is a good guide to take a look at, check out the links at the end as well

there's also uhhhh this game that was made on really similar rules? except it broke at some point after grading and I have no idea why I swear it wasn't like this when I submitted it
I'll probably fix it later
These users thanked the author LittleMissNyan for the post:
stlcards422 (November 1st, 2020, 1:27 pm)
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
Chameleon02
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by Chameleon02 »

As an Event Supervisor, I wanted to hear input from you guys on the best way to run this event virtually with partners separated. I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips.
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
sciolygod
State: OH

Post by sciolygod »

you could try and use zoom, you can screenshare and use remote control so both partners can access the same game
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

Anyone interested in grading a practice game I made? Topic is Photosynthesis
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/453888234/
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
GamerLegend

Post by GamerLegend »

I found these notes for "Game On" on this website (scioly.org). https://scioly.org/tests/files/gameon_2 ... _notes.pdf
As I was looking through the notes, it said this.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-00kp ... -11-30.png

But since of covid, I might not be able to use the same computer as my teammate. So how are we supposed to participate?
bearasauras

Post by bearasauras »

The way this will be run depends on your tournament. But if you're in California, your Regional and State tournament will be mini model. And for your Regional and State tournaments, each team should create a single Scratch login for both partners so that they can both access a single file. Note that while both partners can be logged into the account at the same time, Scratch does not save the files properly if both partners are in the project at the same time. Participants should communicate with their partner (through Scilympiad, phone, or other means) to let each other know who is actively working on the file to avoid version conflicts.
GamerLegend

Post by GamerLegend »

Are we allowed to click on choose a sound, then click on surprise, and get a random sound? Or do we have to make our own sound?
stlcards422
State: MD

Post by stlcards422 »

What are environmental interactions? Does adding grass that moves when the player touches it in a nature-themed game count?
Last edited by stlcards422 on December 4th, 2020, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2021 Lab Events”