Game On B

Fyren
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Game On B

Post by Fyren »

stlcards422 wrote: December 1st, 2020, 7:47 pm What are environmental interactions? Does adding grass that moves when the player touches it in a nature-themed game count?
Really late reply, but I believe environmental interactions are more like picking up an apple from a tree in the background or not being able to go past a rock bigger than the sprite. I could be wrong, but that was how I interpreted it when I did Game On.
VENI, VIDI, VICI.
neetivaidya
Division: B
State: WA

Post by neetivaidya »

stlcards422 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:42 am Question; how complicated does the game us usually need to be to win? And are there any examples? Also, how do you find music since you can't download any and the libary aren't good (choppy)
Yeah, I see your point. However, to save time it is best using library music.
If you want smooth bg music, I have found that using sound bytes underneath the loops section seems to work best.
THen if you write

repeat forever:
play sound [] until done

it should play music smoothly
neetivaidya

Post by neetivaidya »

stlcards422 wrote: December 1st, 2020, 7:47 pm What are environmental interactions? Does adding grass that moves when the player touches it in a nature-themed game count?
Environmental interactions are how uc or cc sprites interact with the bg.
For example, if a ball bounces off of platforms, that would be environmental interaction
These users thanked the author neetivaidya for the post:
cards104171 (February 12th, 2021, 6:08 am)
cards104171
State: OH

Post by cards104171 »

Question: would having the character bounce off walls be environmental interactions?
This is what I’ve always done and gotten full points, but suddenly I got a 0 for that in 1 invitational and I was wondering if that was me or something that maybe the grader didn’t completely understand or consider.
Current Events -
Codebusters
Fast Facts
Bio Process Lab
Anatomy

Game On
Heredity
Circuit Lab
Density Lab
Game On
Heredity
Circuit Lab
Disease Detectives 
Codebusters
Disease Detectives
Bio Process Lab
Anatomy
0ddrenaline
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by 0ddrenaline »

cards104171 wrote: February 12th, 2021, 6:07 am Question: would having the character bounce off walls be environmental interactions?
This is what I’ve always done and gotten full points, but suddenly I got a 0 for that in 1 invitational and I was wondering if that was me or something that maybe the grader didn’t completely understand or consider.
I think this could be considered to be an environmental interaction, but I could see someone debating that. If you want easier points, consider having the sprite interact with the background. Alternatively, you could make a comment on the wall bouncing code, saying something like "this is my intended environmental interaction." Then it's unambiguous and the grader can decide whether they agree.
Last edited by 0ddrenaline on February 12th, 2021, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author 0ddrenaline for the post:
cards104171 (February 12th, 2021, 8:49 am)
cards104171

Post by cards104171 »

0ddrenaline wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:38 am
cards104171 wrote: February 12th, 2021, 6:07 am Question: would having the character bounce off walls be environmental interactions?
I think this could be considered to be an environmental interaction, but I could see someone debating that. If you want easier points, consider having the sprite interact with the background. Alternatively, you could make a comment on the wall bouncing code, saying something like "this is my intended environmental interaction." Then it's unambiguous and the grader can decide whether they agree.
That’s good advice— I actually did comment that with the specific wording, but I guess the grader didn’t consider it as interaction or something (which I was upset on.... I was stuck in 4th place and 3rd got a medal).
What would you really consider as a Sprite interaction with a background? I was thinking like maybe it could bust clouds or something?
Current Events -
Codebusters
Fast Facts
Bio Process Lab
Anatomy

Game On
Heredity
Circuit Lab
Density Lab
Game On
Heredity
Circuit Lab
Disease Detectives 
Codebusters
Disease Detectives
Bio Process Lab
Anatomy
neetivaidya

Post by neetivaidya »

cards104171 wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:49 am
That’s good advice— I actually did comment that with the specific wording, but I guess the grader didn’t consider it as interaction or something (which I was upset on.... I was stuck in 4th place and 3rd got a medal).
What would you really consider as a Sprite interaction with a background? I was thinking like maybe it could bust clouds or something?
When the clouds become the cc sprite of the game though, even if they are technically part of the bg, it probably wont count as an environment action
cards104171

Post by cards104171 »

neetivaidya wrote: March 8th, 2021, 7:48 pm
cards104171 wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:49 am

When the clouds become the cc sprite of the game though, even if they are technically part of the bg, it probably wont count as an environment action
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking though. I wish these things were specified :/
Current Events -
Codebusters
Fast Facts
Bio Process Lab
Anatomy

Game On
Heredity
Circuit Lab
Density Lab
Game On
Heredity
Circuit Lab
Disease Detectives 
Codebusters
Disease Detectives
Bio Process Lab
Anatomy
theskyistillred
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by theskyistillred »

How are we going to be able to collaborate with a partner in Game On via Zoom?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit." --Unknown

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

go study
Longivitis
Division: Grad
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Longivitis »

theskyistillred wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:56 pm How are we going to be able to collaborate with a partner in Game On via Zoom?
So you basically work on one game file together. You can do that by sharing an account and have one person code and when they're done you can log in and keep working on your side. You can also simply code while sharing the screen if that is better, but you shouldn't both code at the same time because Scratch isn't guaranteed to save both instances of the work.
These users thanked the author Longivitis for the post (total 2):
Krish2007 (April 10th, 2021, 7:07 pm) • theskyistillred (April 11th, 2021, 9:02 am)
University of Texas at Austin '23
Cypress Lakes High School '19

Chemistry Lab, Codebusters, Game On, Science Word, Towers, We've Got Your Number

Return to “2021 Lab Events”