Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Anomaly »

donutsandcupcakes wrote:I encountered one more question which I couldn't understand the answer for, so any help would be highly appreciated!

How many known human blood group systems are there?

a.3
b. 12
c. 14
d. 35

THE ANSWER KEY SAID THE ANSWER WAS D. I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THEY GOT D, SO CAN SOMEONE HELP ME UNDERSTAND, YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
I'm guessing your answer was A? It's not A because A is trying to confuse you with the A, B, and O found in the ABO blood type system. The ABO blood type system is only one of the 35 major blood grouping systems out there, with ABO being the most common.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang »

Anomaly wrote:
donutsandcupcakes wrote:I encountered one more question which I couldn't understand the answer for, so any help would be highly appreciated!

a.3
b. 12
c. 14
d. 35

THE ANSWER KEY SAID THE ANSWER WAS D. I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THEY GOT D, SO CAN SOMEONE HELP ME UNDERSTAND, YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
I'm guessing your answer was A? It's not A because A is trying to confuse you with the A, B, and O found in the ABO blood type system. The ABO blood type system is only one of the 35 major blood grouping systems out there, with ABO being the most common.
What are the blood groups and do we honestly have to know them?
WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang »

Also, what are the forces that act on the capillaries in Starling's forces again?
donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

Anomaly wrote:

a.3
b. 12
c. 14
d. 35

Thank You, I honestly didn't have an answer to this question, and your explanation really helped. :)
Limke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Limke »

WangwithaTang wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

a.3
b. 12
c. 14
d. 35

What are the blood groups and do we honestly have to know them?
I’ve heard of there being 35 different types of systems before, but only actually encountered 2, 1 of them being the ABO blood typing system. The other one is Rh, which is generally associated with ABO and is sometimes indicated by letter D, C, c, E (different antigens) or just straight up “Rh” (Rh: rhesus). Rh(D) is the system that indicates a “positive” or “negative” blood type (ie AB positive) and I haven’t encountered too many questions about it. It’s just important to know that Rh is dominant for the positive trait and Rh negative means an individual lacks the Rh antigen.
2019 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Designer Genes, Forensics, Protein Modeling.

2020 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Protein Modeling, Forensics, Sounds of Music

do not eat the forensics powders
Limke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Limke »

WangwithaTang wrote:Also, what are the forces that act on the capillaries in Starling's forces again?
Starlings forces is talking about hydrostatic and oncotic pressures in the capillaries/interstitial fluid. The four forces are hydrostatic capillary pressure, oncotic capillary pressure, hydrostatic interstitial, and oncotic interstitial. (Oncotic = colloid osmotic) Hydrostatic is the pressure from the fluid (in this case water) while oncotic is pressure created by proteins in the blood plasma. Greater hydrostatic pressure in the capillaries leads to filtration, while water will move into the capillaries if oncotic pressure is higher, because water potential is lower.

Also to note, Starling’s Law and Starlings Forces are two different things, so if it ever asks about Starling’s Law, it refers to stroke volume and end diastolic pressure in the heart (more in; more out).
2019 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Designer Genes, Forensics, Protein Modeling.

2020 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Protein Modeling, Forensics, Sounds of Music

do not eat the forensics powders
WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang »

Limke wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:Also, what are the forces that act on the capillaries in Starling's forces again?
Starlings forces is talking about hydrostatic and oncotic pressures in the capillaries/interstitial fluid. The four forces are hydrostatic capillary pressure, oncotic capillary pressure, hydrostatic interstitial, and oncotic interstitial. (Oncotic = colloid osmotic) Hydrostatic is the pressure from the fluid (in this case water) while oncotic is pressure created by proteins in the blood plasma. Greater hydrostatic pressure in the capillaries leads to filtration, while water will move into the capillaries if oncotic pressure is higher, because water potential is lower.

Also to note, Starling’s Law and Starlings Forces are two different things, so if it ever asks about Starling’s Law, it refers to stroke volume and end diastolic pressure in the heart (more in; more out).
Ok, so the general equation for starling's forces is just (all forms of hydrostatic pressure) - (all forms of oncotic pressure)?
donutsandcupcakes

Are medals achievable even if your partner is doing nothing? For ex, I am doing 2 systems and my partner is doing 1. He is not working very hard, and not giving A+P too much time.

I tried doing his studies too but it too hard at the last moment, so I am really questioning my chances of winning a medal?
Crimesolver
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

donutsandcupcakes wrote:Are medals achievable even if your partner is doing nothing? For ex, I am doing 2 systems and my partner is doing 1. He is not working very hard, and not giving A+P too much time.

I tried doing his studies too but it too hard at the last moment, so I am really questioning my chances of winning a medal?
My friend managed to get 1st with a kinda bad partner, so it's definitely possible. You just have to be really passionate and study as much as possible.
Keep on going :)
donutsandcupcakes

Hi, I was having a hard time finding a diagram for thymus which would be appropriate for the competition. So could someone pls help?

Return to “2019 Study Events”