Designer Genes C

jaspattack
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Designer Genes C

Postby jaspattack » November 19th, 2018, 12:41 pm

sheinbergd19 wrote:Should I devote space on my note sheet to a codon chart, or will that information most likely be provided?

I would go ahead and add it just in case, since I don't think a codon chart will be provided. You can always change your note sheet later if you have other information that's more important/you find yourself not using it.
(Projected) 2019-2020 Events (C): Astronomy, Designer Genes, Forensics, Write It Do It
2018-19 Events (C): Designer Genes, Fossils, Write It Do It (formerly also Mousetrap Vehicle and Experimental Design)
2017-18 Events (B): Rocks and Minerals, Wright Stuff, Write It Do It
I edit the wiki sometimes.

Vortexx
State: IN

Postby Vortexx » January 19th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Should I include Hardy-Weinberg in my ref sheet? Based on the rules, it doesn't seem that the conditions nor the equation should show up on the test, but I may be wrong.
[hide]Events|2017-Mission, Hovercraft
2018- Mission, Hover, Codebusters, Source Code

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » January 20th, 2019, 8:09 am

Vortexx wrote:Should I include Hardy-Weinberg in my ref sheet? Based on the rules, it doesn't seem that the conditions nor the equation should show up on the test, but I may be wrong.

It could show up, simply because there's likely to be overlap between event supervisors and bio teachers/professors who may assume that this is covered.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

platypusomelette
State: NY

Postby platypusomelette » February 12th, 2019, 9:14 am

I'm just curious did anyone find their regionals a looooot harder than they expected? Mine was spouting stuff straight out of alberts. Like supercoiling and topoisomerase IV (which i did not even realize there were multiple pigeon types of and that they weren't exclusive to eukaryotes)
island trash trees hs
2019 events
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th

past events
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
HELL YEA WE MADE STATES

ScienceRobo
State: PA

Postby ScienceRobo » February 20th, 2019, 11:46 am

Anyone have recommendations for textbooks and specific chapters to study?

bromothymol
State: NJ

Postby bromothymol » February 20th, 2019, 1:17 pm

ScienceRobo wrote:Anyone have recommendations for textbooks and specific chapters to study?

read chapters 12-21 of Campbell's Biology and make sure you fully understand all of that before you delve into more detailed textbooks like Brooker's.

jaspattack
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby jaspattack » February 23rd, 2019, 2:36 pm

platypusomelette wrote:I'm just curious did anyone find their regionals a looooot harder than they expected? Mine was spouting stuff straight out of alberts. Like supercoiling and topoisomerase IV (which i did not even realize there were multiple pigeon types of and that they weren't exclusive to eukaryotes)

Yeah, our regional test was pretty hard too. It was all stuff in the rules, just pretty specific details about typically basic concepts.
(Projected) 2019-2020 Events (C): Astronomy, Designer Genes, Forensics, Write It Do It
2018-19 Events (C): Designer Genes, Fossils, Write It Do It (formerly also Mousetrap Vehicle and Experimental Design)

wyekefidnw--99

Postby wyekefidnw--99 » February 23rd, 2019, 7:07 pm

What is the best resource for learning the inheritance patterns of genetic disorders?

amk578
State: IN

Postby amk578 » February 23rd, 2019, 8:36 pm

wyekefidnw--99 wrote:What is the best resource for learning the inheritance patterns of genetic disorders?

The Heredity handouts on the soinc website has a huge list of common disorders and their symptoms w/ inheritance patterns.
Events (r/s)

2018 - anatomy (1/2), crime (3/15), road (1/6)
2019 - anatomy (1/1), disease(2/2), heredity (1/1), road (1/5)

Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby Anomaly » March 23rd, 2019, 8:06 am

Okay big rip I just got put in this event for no reason at all and I have approximately a month to prepare this before states, what's a good resource to start with for the non-heredity related parts of the event?
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 5
Events:
Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Disease Detectives, Write It Do It

bromothymol
State: NJ

Postby bromothymol » March 23rd, 2019, 10:06 am

Anomaly wrote:Okay big rip I just got put in this event for no reason at all and I have approximately a month to prepare this before states, what's a good resource to start with for the non-heredity related parts of the event?

Campbell's Biology chapters 12 through 21 should probably prepare you well enough for a states level test.

jaspattack
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby jaspattack » April 17th, 2019, 10:26 am

Are there any other resources you guys recommend outside of the Campbell Biology textbook? I'm reading through it right now, and while it is a very good resource I'd like to take a break from constant reading. I know Khan Academy has a lot of good videos (and I do have the Khan Academy app), but does anyone have any recommendations for other videos/podcasts/etc.?

Return to “Study Events”