Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Birdmusic »

Killboe wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
Killboe wrote:
I know how you feel, I beat the first place team in Solar System at states at regionals by a whole 2 times their score. Then at states all of a sudden they get 1st place by a large margin, we get 8th. It really sucks not getting placed but you have to live with it.

Personally, for disease detectives I would recommend the CDC Principles of Epidemiology. At nationals, (if you are going). Most of the questions, like 70% will have to do with cases. So I would practice writing case definitions, different kinds of studies, epi-curves, and other things that have to do with cases. Good luck.

PS - Aren't you the girl from Mira Loma?
Thanks for the advice!
No... Mira Loma got first in disease, I'm from Bay Area. I think you're confusing our GGSO scores, we got 6th and Mira Loma 5th.

Also our school has never gone to Nats lol
My bad, I thought you were somebody from the discord.
No worries, birds are very popular animals. (Assuming you looked my username and it was similar to that persons)
I like birds.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

What’s the difference between coherence and biological plausibility? They both seem to be talking about how the association makes sense with current known info.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Froggie wrote:What’s the difference between coherence and biological plausibility? They both seem to be talking about how the association makes sense with current known info.
Plausibility is when there's a proposed (plausible) method that the cause could lead into the effect. Coherence is if the interpretation of cause-and-effect does not go against the existing facts of the field.*

*Probably
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Froggie wrote:What’s the difference between coherence and biological plausibility? They both seem to be talking about how the association makes sense with current known info.
Plausibility is when there's a proposed (plausible) method that the cause could lead into the effect. Coherence is if the interpretation of cause-and-effect does not go against the existing facts of the field.*

*Probably
I see, thanks!
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
izzanom
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by izzanom »

Does anyone have any good materials for nationals? I've been doing this event for a couple of years and am really trying to place well this year. I've taken lots of good invitational tests but nats is always kinda different since its made by the cdc
opal555

Post by opal555 »

I haven't been able to find this: What are the types of prevention and in which situations are they best in? For example, vaccines, or quarantine. Could someone tell me about the types of prevention (I think that's what they are called but if not, please tell me the real name) and the situations in which they are appriopriate? Thanks in advance.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

opal555 wrote:I haven't been able to find this: What are the types of prevention and in which situations are they best in? For example, vaccines, or quarantine. Could someone tell me about the types of prevention (I think that's what they are called but if not, please tell me the real name) and the situations in which they are appriopriate? Thanks in advance.
Do you mean primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary?
coopsadoodles
State: CT

Post by coopsadoodles »

opal555 wrote:I haven't been able to find this: What are the types of prevention and in which situations are they best in? For example, vaccines, or quarantine. Could someone tell me about the types of prevention (I think that's what they are called but if not, please tell me the real name) and the situations in which they are appriopriate? Thanks in advance.
dont forget primordial lol
bedford ms '20, staples hs '24
chem lab, green gen, enviro chem, widi
opal555

Post by opal555 »

coopsadoodles wrote:
No, like vaccines or quarantine. Like, the things to you do to actually prevent the disease. Primary, secondary, and co. are categories for the thing I'm asking about.
opal555

Post by opal555 »

opal555 wrote:
coopsadoodles wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: Do you mean primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary?
No, like vaccines or quarantine. Like, the things to you do to actually prevent the disease. Primary, secondary, and co. are categories for the thing I'm asking about.
CONTROL METHODS. That's what it is. I found it but I still need to know in which situations they are appropriate,

Return to “2019 Study Events”