Disease Detectives B/C

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

astercats7 wrote:Hi, I was wondering if anyone could please explain how to find the predicted date of exposure based on just an epi-curve? (with no info about the actual disease). Thanks!!
That seems impossible unless you have some knowledge of the incubation period of the disease so that you can count back from the peak of the epidemic (assuming a point source epi-curve)
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
astercats7 wrote:Hi, I was wondering if anyone could please explain how to find the predicted date of exposure based on just an epi-curve? (with no info about the actual disease). Thanks!!
That seems impossible unless you have some knowledge of the incubation period of the disease so that you can count back from the peak of the epidemic (assuming a point source epi-curve)
(Disclaimer: I don't know how true this is) I've read somewhere that the units of the x axis (the time) is equal to 1/4 to 1/3 of the incubation period of the disease. Say for example the units on the bottom of an epi-curve is 4 days between each mark (ex. month is January, and starts with 3, then 7, then 11, etc), then the incubation period for the disease is likely 9 to 12 days, and from there you can count back 9 to 12 days from the peak of the epidemic and find the predicted date of exposure?

warning im also really bad at this event don't take this into account 100%
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
astercats7
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by astercats7 »

That’s what I thought lol
astercats7

Post by astercats7 »

Anomaly wrote:
(Disclaimer: I don't know how true this is) I've read somewhere that the units of the x axis (the time) is equal to 1/4 to 1/3 of the incubation period of the disease. Say for example the units on the bottom of an epi-curve is 4 days between each mark (ex. month is January, and starts with 3, then 7, then 11, etc), then the incubation period for the disease is likely 9 to 12 days, and from there you can count back 9 to 12 days from the peak of the epidemic and find the predicted date of exposure?

warning im also really bad at this event don't take this into account 100%
Thank you so much!!
PeriodicPenguins82
Division: B
State: OH

Post by PeriodicPenguins82 »

This is my first year doing disease detectives, so I do not know much about this event other than what I read. However, it seems that the topic switches year to year. Does anyone know what the topic is for the 2019-2020 year?
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

PeriodicPenguins82 wrote:This is my first year doing disease detectives, so I do not know much about this event other than what I read. However, it seems that the topic switches year to year. Does anyone know what the topic is for the 2019-2020 year?
I don't do this event, but I believe they stopped rotating topics
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Umaroth wrote:
PeriodicPenguins82 wrote:This is my first year doing disease detectives, so I do not know much about this event other than what I read. However, it seems that the topic switches year to year. Does anyone know what the topic is for the 2019-2020 year?
As of 2019, there is no topic.
PeriodicPenguins82

Umaroth wrote:
Thank you!
PeriodicPenguins82

Umaroth wrote:
Thank you!

Return to “2019 Study Events”