Disease Detectives B/C

Rubix1353
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Rubix1353 » December 28th, 2018, 11:02 am

Does this mean that they can potentially test us about any of the 3 topics (that usually rotate)?

drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Postby drcubbin » December 28th, 2018, 11:34 am

Rubix1353 wrote:Does this mean that they can potentially test us about any of the 3 topics (that usually rotate)?

That will be up to each Event Supervisor (whomever is writing the test for that particular competition), but you can probably be pretty sure it will be one that has been covered in the past, only it will not devote as much time to it as in previous years. (See Part II: Outbreak Investigation of the manual).

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » December 28th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Rubix1353 wrote:Does this mean that they can potentially test us about any of the 3 topics (that usually rotate)?

Generally, you will be tested on what's explicitly written in the rules. Note how the event has been restructured into three main topics.

Flavorflav
Division: Grad

Postby Flavorflav » December 29th, 2018, 11:27 am

To give an event writer's perspective, I used to always use data about diseases form the year's topic for the major portion of the event. I would expect students to have some basic information about the most common or important agents in the category - life cycle, incubation period etc. Generally, I would expect more when the topic was foodborne because the list of likely agents is shorter. When it was environmental I would expect more knowledge of concepts like bioaccumulation, particulate size etc. Now that topics are out the window, I feel like I can't really expect students to come in with much in the way of specific info about any diseases except possibly whatever is currently in the news.

Flavorflav

Postby Flavorflav » December 29th, 2018, 11:37 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:
Nba2302 wrote:Why is attack rate listed on part 2, then incidence proportion is listed on part 3, even though attack rate and incidence proportion mean the same thing?

They don't mean the same thing. Incidence figures are virtually always calculated for whole populations, and attack rates for exposed populations.

Attack rate can be calculated for the whole population or exposed populations; it's just a measure or risk.

It can be calculated for whole populations, but it isn't - unless the whole population is considered at risk. They will be equivalent when the population is defined down to the at-risk population, as in eaters of the potato salad, or when the agent is so widespread that the risk is defined up to include the whole population, as perhaps in the case of the flu. However, in most cases they will not be the same as each other. One might report the incidence of Hep A for a county using the whole population as the denominator, but the attack rate would likely be calculated only for diners at a particular restaurant, or even only those who ordered a particular dish.

Flavorflav

Re: Disease Detectives B/C What's new?

Postby Flavorflav » December 29th, 2018, 11:46 am

andei200 wrote:
nmsciencemom wrote:I noticed on this year's event description, the section about C level doing advanced statistics is gone, replaced by a requirement they do more on confounding, biases and prevention measures. Does this mean we can stop trying to teach college statistics?!! Probably will be more clear on the new DD CD from Nationals.
They are also are trying to allocate the test emphasis more evenly on Background and Surveillance, Outbreak Investigation and Patterns, Controls and Prevention. If only our state event supervisor would take note of the changes...
Also new, the "5 step Process for Surveillance and the types of Surveillance".

And most importantly, this would normally be the year that the topic would be environmental sources of disease, but there is no mention of a special area to focus on this year under the Description paragraph. Anyone know if we are moving away from doing topics?!

What even is the 5 step process for surveillance? I can't find it anywhere on the internet.

I have to assume that they are talking about this:
https://www.cdc.gov/ophss/csels/dsepd/s ... tion1.html
It's not easy to find, I agree.

sophisSyo

Postby sophisSyo » December 29th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Based on the first invite we went to this season, test makers aren't completely sure about what to make of the new rules? We had more food borne disease questions than anticipated - it was more similar to tests from last yr.
D > 997
2019 events: A&P, DG, DD, PM, WIDI (12 medals)
2018 medals: MM, DD, Parasitology, Experimental, Herpe, Codebusters, WIDI
Past: ID, Inquiry, Bio, etc. || 33 Div C medals
Captain & Academic Coordinator-Syosset

Nba2302

Postby Nba2302 » January 3rd, 2019, 6:32 pm

for me, there weren't any food-borne related questions in the test I took

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » January 3rd, 2019, 7:40 pm

Nba2302 wrote:for me, there weren't any food-borne related questions in the test I took

Food-borne illnesses aren't part of the topic this year, so it will naturally vary between competition to competition

acidbeaker
State: CA

Postby acidbeaker » January 4th, 2019, 1:10 pm

What are some historical outbreaks/current events I should know?
2016 (B)
Wind Power, Disease Detectives

2017 (B)
Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology

2018 (B)
Thermodynamics, Experimental Design, Potions & Poisons, Detector Building (SoCal Trial)

2019 (C)
Disease Detectives, Thermodynamics, Fermi Questions, Sounds of Music

Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"

Postby Tailsfan101 » January 6th, 2019, 4:29 pm

acidbeaker wrote:What are some historical outbreaks/current events I should know?

The five largest epidemics/pandemics in history may be helpful:
  • The Black Death
  • 1918 Spanish Flu
  • HIV/AIDS
  • Justinian Plague
  • Antonine Plague
2019 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki
State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

State/Nats
Crime: 1/35
Road: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

Mini-Inv./DISCO/State/Nats?
Road: 1/2/TBD/?
DD: -/3/TBD/?
Heredity: 2/4/TBD/?
Crime: 3/6/TBD/?
ELG: -/6/-/-

Assassinator for game #118

jimmy-bond
State: HI

Postby jimmy-bond » January 6th, 2019, 5:04 pm

acidbeaker wrote:What are some historical outbreaks/current events I should know?

The pandemics Tailsfan mentioned are the most notable, along with the many cholera ones. For current events, the biggest ones would be the Ebola flare from around 4 years ago, Zika virus from maybe 3 years ago, and the recent Romaine lettuce scare with E. coli.
Many states have their own outbreaks that make headlines but don't travel further. For example, in Hawaii, we had a Hepatitis A outbreak, a dengue fever scare, and a smallpox resurgence. Although Hawaii test makers might and have quizzed competitors on these incidents, competitions in New York and Ohio will probably include more local cases. So, for current events, it all depends on your local area.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Roses are red, violets are blue, I have Alzheimer's, cheese on toast.

2019 Events
Chem Lab, Code Busters, DD, Fermi Questions, Forensics, Water Quality

2018 Nats
CB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

critale1

Postby critale1 » January 8th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Has anyone used Khan Academy for this event? If so, what course?

Nba2302

Postby Nba2302 » January 8th, 2019, 3:27 pm

critale1 wrote:Has anyone used Khan Academy for this event? If so, what course?

khan academy isn't the best source for dd because it doesn't really have any topics on it. Best place would be cdc site because cdc sponsors event, and many of the things on the test, will usually be from cdc website

Rossyspsce
State: -

Postby Rossyspsce » January 9th, 2019, 11:24 pm

Nba2302 wrote:for me, there weren't any food-borne related questions in the test I took

To add, I feel some test writers aren't sure what to make of new rules and are resulting to making tests based off of previous years, the most recent being food borne illnesses.

Return to “Study Events”