Disease Detectives B/C

Rossyspsce
State: -

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Rossyspsce » March 28th, 2019, 10:58 am

Anyone know all the "fathers of _____"? i.e.William Farr, father medical statistics

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 28th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Rossyspsce wrote:Anyone know all the "fathers of _____"? i.e.William Farr, father medical statistics

I'm assuming there's no comprehensive list since there a ton of fields someone could be the father of... I would just recommend looking up every name you can and clicking any related links on Wikipedia.
Here's two I guess. Hippocrates is the father of medicine. John Snow is one of the fathers of modern epidemiology.

Birdmusic
State: CA

Postby Birdmusic » April 4th, 2019, 6:14 pm

What are the first symptoms of a disease known as? (Ugh why doesn't the A-B test have an answer key and why does google fail to give me useful answers?)

Also, If the behavior of a participant changes after the know they are being studied (ie people who are in an experiment for pesticide exposure start using less pesticides after the study starts) what bias would it be? I know if they change their answers to be more socially acceptable its the social desiriability bias but what about behavior?
I like birds.

2018 Results
R/S
Crime Busters: 1/2
Disease Detectives: 1/5
Hovercraft (both builds failed, rip): 11/9

2019 Results
GGSO/R/S
Disease Detectives: 6/3/10
Circuit lab:11/4/-
Sounds:3/2/1
Protein: -/-/6

drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Postby drcubbin » April 4th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Birdmusic wrote:What are the first symptoms of a disease known as? (Ugh why doesn't the A-B test have an answer key and why does google fail to give me useful answers?)

Also, If the behavior of a participant changes after the know they are being studied (ie people who are in an experiment for pesticide exposure start using less pesticides after the study starts) what bias would it be? I know if they change their answers to be more socially acceptable its the social desiriability bias but what about behavior?

I am guessing... a sign? Doctors refer to signs and symptoms, but a sign is "objectively" based, rather than "subjectively" observed.

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 4th, 2019, 7:43 pm

drcubbin wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:What are the first symptoms of a disease known as? (Ugh why doesn't the A-B test have an answer key and why does google fail to give me useful answers?)

I am guessing... a sign? Doctors refer to signs and symptoms, but a sign is "objectively" based, rather than "subjectively" observed.

I don't think it's called a sign. I believe the answer would be prodromal symptom.

For the latter question, I think it's the Hawthorne effect/observer effect.

(Had to look both of these up...)

Birdmusic

Postby Birdmusic » April 4th, 2019, 7:53 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
drcubbin wrote:

I don't think it's called a sign. I believe the answer would be prodromal symptom.

Thanks! (I found something called performance bias, can anyone figure out if it and hawthorne are different?)

Edit: According to https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... A2OvIXLdU3 performance falls under hawthorne effects, if a test asked me to put one as the answer should I put both?
Last edited by Birdmusic on April 4th, 2019, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like birds.

2018 Results
R/S

2019 Results
GGSO/R/S

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 4th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Birdmusic wrote:
drcubbin wrote:I am guessing... a sign? Doctors refer to signs and symptoms, but a sign is "objectively" based, rather than "subjectively" observed.

Thanks! (I found something called performance bias, can anyone figure out if it and hawthorne are different?)

Performance bias is when the study is impossible to conduct blind, so participants know what group they're in. This results in the control group acting differently than the experimental group, in a way that was not controlled for.

In contrast, the Hawthorne effect is when participants of a study act differently because they know they are being observed.

Birdmusic

Postby Birdmusic » April 4th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Birdmusic wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:I don't think it's called a sign. I believe the answer would be prodromal symptom.

Performance bias is when the study is impossible to conduct blind, so participants know what group they're in. This results in the control group acting differently than the experimental group, in a way that was not controlled for.

In contrast, the Hawthorne effect is when participants of a study act differently because they know they are being observed.

Thank you!
I like birds.

2018 Results
R/S

2019 Results
GGSO/R/S

Birdmusic

Postby Birdmusic » April 7th, 2019, 2:30 pm

How do you guys usually deal with disease trivia on tests?
I like birds.

2018 Results
R/S

2019 Results
GGSO/R/S

Froggie

Postby Froggie » April 8th, 2019, 7:34 am

Birdmusic wrote:How do you guys usually deal with disease trivia on tests?

I usually guess on them, or I’ll try to pull out some information from the depths of my memory to help me.
"A wot of peopwe have quotes in theiw signatuwe. Maybe I shouwd have a quote in my signatuwe. "
- Fwoggie

Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"

Postby Tailsfan101 » April 8th, 2019, 7:47 am

Birdmusic wrote:How do you guys usually deal with disease trivia on tests?

I read massive medical reference books, such as the 1800-page one my parents got me for Christmas. It's very informative, and it's fun!
(DISCLAIMER: This method will not work for everyone.)
2019 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki
State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
RS: 2/51
FF: 4/59

State/Nats
CB: 1/35
RS: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

Mini-Inv./DISCO/State/Nats
RS: 1/2/1/-
DD: -/3/2/-
HD: 2/4/4/-
CB: 3/6/1/-
ELG: -/6/-/-
GeoMaps: -/-/-/
WIDI: -/-/-/

Assassinator for game #118

Birdmusic

Postby Birdmusic » April 8th, 2019, 8:03 am

Also I was just informed that one of the people that medalled at States had only done Disease for 2 weeks, so I want to know some good resources to improve cuz I honestly just feel so down rn and disappointed in myself. I know I could've done better but I'm exactly sure where to go from where I am right now.
I like birds.

2018 Results
R/S

2019 Results
GGSO/R/S

Killboe
State: FL

Postby Killboe » April 8th, 2019, 9:05 am

Birdmusic wrote:Also I was just informed that one of the people that medalled at States had only done Disease for 2 weeks, so I want to know some good resources to improve cuz I honestly just feel so down rn and disappointed in myself. I know I could've done better but I'm exactly sure where to go from where I am right now.

I know how you feel, I beat the first place team in Solar System at states at regionals by a whole 2 times their score. Then at states all of a sudden they get 1st place by a large margin, we get 8th. It really sucks not getting placed but you have to live with it.

Personally, for disease detectives I would recommend the CDC Principles of Epidemiology. At nationals, (if you are going). Most of the questions, like 70% will have to do with cases. So I would practice writing case definitions, different kinds of studies, epi-curves, and other things that have to do with cases. Good luck.

PS - Aren't you the girl from Mira Loma?
River City Science Academy 2019
Proud competitor of B-01 MS

2019 Events

Disease Detectives
Solar System
Thermodynamics

My Wiki

Birdmusic

Postby Birdmusic » April 8th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Killboe wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:Also I was just informed that one of the people that medalled at States had only done Disease for 2 weeks, so I want to know some good resources to improve cuz I honestly just feel so down rn and disappointed in myself. I know I could've done better but I'm exactly sure where to go from where I am right now.

I know how you feel, I beat the first place team in Solar System at states at regionals by a whole 2 times their score. Then at states all of a sudden they get 1st place by a large margin, we get 8th. It really sucks not getting placed but you have to live with it.

Personally, for disease detectives I would recommend the CDC Principles of Epidemiology. At nationals, (if you are going). Most of the questions, like 70% will have to do with cases. So I would practice writing case definitions, different kinds of studies, epi-curves, and other things that have to do with cases. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice!
No... Mira Loma got first in disease, I'm from Bay Area. I think you're confusing our GGSO scores, we got 6th and Mira Loma 5th.

Also our school has never gone to Nats lol
I like birds.

2018 Results
R/S

2019 Results
GGSO/R/S

Killboe
State: FL

Postby Killboe » April 8th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Birdmusic wrote:
Killboe wrote:

Thanks for the advice!
No... Mira Loma got first in disease, I'm from Bay Area. I think you're confusing our GGSO scores, we got 6th and Mira Loma 5th.

Also our school has never gone to Nats lol

My bad, I thought you were somebody from the discord.
River City Science Academy 2019
Proud competitor of B-01 MS

2019 Events

Disease Detectives
Solar System
Thermodynamics

My Wiki

Return to “Study Events”