Froggie
Division: B
State: PA

Re: Herpetology B/C

Postby Froggie » March 10th, 2019, 4:28 am

Unome wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
Refering to the binders? That's 2 inches.

No, the four-inch law for pet turtles. Also has to do with red-eared sliders.

Ha, I still remembered what this was just from the name :P

Next article: How the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles inadvertently caused a salmonella outbreak
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 10th, 2019, 6:50 am

Unome wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
Refering to the binders? That's 2 inches.

No, the four-inch law for pet turtles. Also has to do with red-eared sliders.

Ha, I still remembered what this was just from the name :P

Ha, I didn't even learn about it while doing this event. I learned about it in Disease.

FranklinHung

Postby FranklinHung » March 22nd, 2019, 4:46 am

Hey guys,

I have a general question. When we are asked to write genus, family, class order, phylm etc. Is there a specific way to write the name? I know genus is uppercase 1st letter and underlined. What do I do for family, class, order, phylum?
Thanks

Froggie

Postby Froggie » March 22nd, 2019, 5:27 am

FranklinHung wrote:Hey guys,

I have a general question. When we are asked to write genus, family, class order, phylm etc. Is there a specific way to write the name? I know genus is uppercase 1st letter and underlined. What do I do for family, class, order, phylum?
Thanks

I just capitalize everything.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

bufforpington416

Postby bufforpington416 » March 24th, 2019, 8:51 pm

I have a question for y'all. So in the rules it says you can bring one official list, and in the past 2 or 3 invitationals I've gone to they've said "Okay so before we begin you are allowed to take out your list". But also in the rules it says you can bring any info from any source, so do you guys know if you'd be able to bring two lists but just keep one in the binder as part of your notes? That's what my partner and I did at one invi. and it went well. But now that I think about it I'm not sure if it's allowed...

axolotl
State: OH

Postby axolotl » March 24th, 2019, 9:15 pm

bufforpington416 wrote:I have a question for y'all. So in the rules it says you can bring one official list, and in the past 2 or 3 invitationals I've gone to they've said "Okay so before we begin you are allowed to take out your list". But also in the rules it says you can bring any info from any source, so do you guys know if you'd be able to bring two lists but just keep one in the binder as part of your notes? That's what my partner and I did at one invi. and it went well. But now that I think about it I'm not sure if it's allowed...

I honestly don't think it matters that much since essentially anything is fair game to put inside your binder. The "one" list just specifies that you can only have one list outside of your binder rings. I've never had a problem with bringing multiple as long as there was only one distinctly separate from the binder, has anyone had issues with this? Seems kind of nitpicky tbh
MHS ‘20

Pastaman202
State: IL

Postby Pastaman202 » March 31st, 2019, 12:36 pm

bufforpington416 wrote:I have a question for y'all. So in the rules it says you can bring one official list, and in the past 2 or 3 invitationals I've gone to they've said "Okay so before we begin you are allowed to take out your list". But also in the rules it says you can bring any info from any source, so do you guys know if you'd be able to bring two lists but just keep one in the binder as part of your notes? That's what my partner and I did at one invi. and it went well. But now that I think about it I'm not sure if it's allowed...

Honestly I doubt any proctor will care to look through your binder for 2 lists, unless you annoyed them and they are just being really petty.
2018 events: Wright stuff, Potions, Hover, Herps
2019 R/S/N
ELG:3/-/15(big oof)
potions: 1/1/3
Circuit: 1/1/5
DP: -/1/1
Herps: 2/2/10 (meduim oof)
DWJHS '19 captain
2020 events:
Maybe:anat, orni
Probs:DP oceans
Def: acids and bases, circuit

BennyTheJett
State: WI

Postby BennyTheJett » March 31st, 2019, 12:43 pm

Pastaman202 wrote:

Honestly I doubt any proctor will care to look through your binder for 2 lists, unless you annoyed them and they are just being really petty.

That said I wouldn't bring 2 lists into nats. It'd suck to get DQed.
Menomonie Science Olympiad
Today an old lady at the bank told the clerk to check her balance....
The Clerk pushed her over.

BennyTheJett's Userpage

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 31st, 2019, 2:31 pm

BennyTheJett wrote:
Pastaman202 wrote:

I highly doubt they'd DQ you for bring 2 lists. At most I think, they'd probably just tell you you couldn't keep one of them.

wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA

Postby wec01 » March 31st, 2019, 3:07 pm

BennyTheJett wrote:
Pastaman202 wrote:

I highly doubt they'd DQ you for bring 2 lists. At most I think, they'd probably just tell you you couldn't keep one of them.

I agree; if you're worried just ask them if they're okay with it when they check your binder.
2019 Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

jslocum
State: -

Postby jslocum » April 4th, 2019, 11:06 am

Hi all,

I don't have much experience with Herpetology, and I have a very simple question....

When the Official List says...

Hylidae - treefrogs
- Hyla - grey treefrog, green treefrog
- Pseudacris - western chorus frog, ornate chorus frog and spring peeper
- Acris - cricket frogs

... does this mean that all treefrogs under Hylidae are fair game, or just the 6 listed below it in the particular genuses.

And similarly, when it says...

Ranidae - true frogs
- Lithobates - bullfrog, green frog, northern leopard frog, & wood frog

... does it mean all true frogs, or just those 4 mentioned.

kate!
State: NY

Postby kate! » April 4th, 2019, 11:12 am

jslocum wrote:Hi all,

I don't have much experience with Herpetology, and I have a very simple question....

When the Official List says...

Hylidae - treefrogs
- Hyla - grey treefrog, green treefrog
- Pseudacris - western chorus frog, ornate chorus frog and spring peeper
- Acris - cricket frogs

... does this mean that all treefrogs under Hylidae are fair game, or just the 6 listed below it in the particular genuses.

And similarly, when it says...

Ranidae - true frogs
- Lithobates - bullfrog, green frog, northern leopard frog, & wood frog

... does it mean all true frogs, or just those 4 mentioned.

You'll only be asked to identify the genera mentioned, but you should have general information on each family in your binder. Remember, you're always asked to identify to the most specific classification on the list, so if a genus is present you'll have to ID that one.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, water, and birds, yay for the third time!

Here

Postby Here » April 4th, 2019, 11:14 am

welp ignore this post now it was a mistake
Kellenberg Memorial HS
2018-19 events: Anatomy, Herp, Experimental
possible 2020 events? Anatomy, Experimental, Ornithology, WIDI

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » April 4th, 2019, 2:45 pm

kate! wrote:Remember, you're always asked to identify to the most specific classification on the list

Is this actually in the rules? I know in Fossils identification to higher taxa in general are common.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

kate!

Postby kate! » April 4th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Unome wrote:
kate! wrote:Remember, you're always asked to identify to the most specific classification on the list

Is this actually in the rules? I know in Fossils identification to higher taxa in general are common.

I mean it's not, but it's not very common to only answer higher classification in Herp unless it's like comparing two organisms.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, water, and birds, yay for the third time!

Return to “Study Events”