Herpetology B/C

dish123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by dish123 »

krasabnk wrote:
dish123 wrote:Thank you so much, this really helped...one thing though, I feel like I should know this already, howerever, it can get confusing, what is "genera"?
Haha, no problem! Genera is the plural form of a genus, hope that helps! :) Are you Div B or Div C?
Thanks! I'm Div B
Last edited by dish123 on April 14th, 2019, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
dish123

Post by dish123 »

On ADW, sometimes they give information onmore than one species for the genus, which species information should I use for the fact sheet?
For example, for Sceloporus, there is information on both Sceloporus Undulatus, and Sceloporus Woodi...which one should I make my fact sheet on?
krasabnk
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by krasabnk »

dish123 wrote:On ADW, sometimes they give information onmore than one species for the genus, which species information should I use for the fact sheet?
For example, for Sceloporus, there is information on both Sceloporus Undulatus, and Sceloporus Woodi...which one should I make my fact sheet on?
Try to find the main similarities between them. Anything from reproduction to behavior works. Look for common markings or anatomy that discern that certain genus from other genera of the Phrynosomatids. Because I live in North Carolina, I use information from several different websites about the genera and families that live near me. For example, I would use ADW, SREL Herp, Herps of NC, Herps of VA, and several other websites to gather information for say... a green anole (Anolis carolinensis) - just so I can obtain the most accurate information. A certain specimen in a specific genus are going to share similar features from the other species in that genus, which all share similar features in a specific family.
DaVinci's Dragons 2019, NCSU '23
[b]2019: [/b]
regionals/states
 <3 Herpetology: 1/3
 :evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
 :?: Experimental Design -/19

[b]2018: [/b]
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
 :?: Disease Detectives: 4/19
dish123

Post by dish123 »

krasabnk wrote:
dish123 wrote:On ADW, sometimes they give information onmore than one species for the genus, which species information should I use for the fact sheet?
Try to find the main similarities between them. Anything from reproduction to behavior works. Look for common markings or anatomy that discern that certain genus from other genera of the Phrynosomatids. Because I live in North Carolina, I use information from several different websites about the genera and families that live near me. For example, I would use ADW, SREL Herp, Herps of NC, Herps of VA, and several other websites to gather information for say... a green anole (Anolis carolinensis) - just so I can obtain the most accurate information. A certain specimen in a specific genus are going to share similar features from the other species in that genus, which all share similar features in a specific family.
Thanks, I have been mainly using ADW, do you recommend I go back to all the fact sheets and all the other websites?
krasabnk
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by krasabnk »

dish123 wrote:Thanks, I have been mainly using ADW, do you recommend I go back to all the fact sheets and all the other websites?
That is completely up to you. :)
DaVinci's Dragons 2019, NCSU '23
[b]2019: [/b]
regionals/states
 <3 Herpetology: 1/3
 :evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
 :?: Experimental Design -/19

[b]2018: [/b]
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
 :?: Disease Detectives: 4/19
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

krasabnk wrote:
dish123 wrote:Thanks, I have been mainly using ADW, do you recommend I go back to all the fact sheets and all the other websites?
It's worth noting that event supervisors use other sites besides ADW as resources for writing their tests :P
dish123

Post by dish123 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
krasabnk wrote:
It's worth noting that event supervisors use other sites besides ADW as resources for writing their tests :P
Thanks
dish123

Post by dish123 »

question..for the genus..which species should we write about when there are many?
for example thamnophis..garter, lined and ribbon..which one should the fact sheet be about?
or hog nosed..there is southern and eastern in NC..which one?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

dish123 wrote:question..for the genus..which species should we write about when there are many?
for example thamnophis..garter, lined and ribbon..which one should the fact sheet be about?
If there are only a few, I would include all of them. If there are a lot, I would try to get overarching information on all of them. See previous discussion on this topic on previous pages in this thread.
dish123

Post by dish123 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
dish123 wrote:question..for the genus..which species should we write about when there are many?
If there are only a few, I would include all of them. If there are a lot, I would try to get overarching information on all of them. See previous discussion on this topic on previous pages in this thread.
Thanks, I had asked the same question before too, but I wanted to try to re word it.

Return to “2019 Study Events”