Herpetology B/C

kate!
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by kate! »

Reema.panini wrote:
kate! wrote:
Reema.panini wrote:So does anyone know for sure if the species that they are using in the tests are gonna be from North America only? We’ve been studying those species, but from reading through, it looks like we should study for every other specie as well.
First of all, we live in North America, so it's very likely that we'd be tested on North American specimens, just like at a state competition the test writer might ask a question about your specific state. Second of all, we only study the taxa on the official list, and we're only really supposed to study species if the genus has two major ones and we need to know the difference. (For example, genus Glyptemys with bog turtle and wood turtle.) But you should only be taking notes on genera and higher classifications on the list (except the ones I just described).
Ok so I actually just got put onto this event cuz the other person dropped out so I really have no clue what to do and my regional comp is in a couple of weeks. I’ve been using the National Audubon Society Field Guide, but I’ve been getting confused because, for example, under Mud turtles, it lists the the species Mexican, Sonora, Striped, Yellow, and then a Mud Turtle with the subspecies Eastern (k.s.subrubrum), Florida (k.s.steindachneri), and Mississippi (k.s.hippocrepis). I don’t know whether to list info for all the species, only use the specific Mud Turtle listing, or just only put the general info it gave at the top of the section on the entire Kinosternidae family. So hopefully you can understand my confusion. I would ask my partner but she hasn’t done anything at all regarding this event. Thanks!
First of all, you should be using more than just one resource. Field guides aren't always the best, so try using websites like Animal Diversity Web. For that specific situation, you only need to know about the family Kinosternidae. You only have to write information about what is listed on the official list. If it says family, do info about the entire family, not the genera within it (unless those are also listed).
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

kate! wrote:
Reema.panini wrote:
kate! wrote: First of all, we live in North America, so it's very likely that we'd be tested on North American specimens, just like at a state competition the test writer might ask a question about your specific state. Second of all, we only study the taxa on the official list, and we're only really supposed to study species if the genus has two major ones and we need to know the difference. (For example, genus Glyptemys with bog turtle and wood turtle.) But you should only be taking notes on genera and higher classifications on the list (except the ones I just described).
Ok so I actually just got put onto this event cuz the other person dropped out so I really have no clue what to do and my regional comp is in a couple of weeks. I’ve been using the National Audubon Society Field Guide, but I’ve been getting confused because, for example, under Mud turtles, it lists the the species Mexican, Sonora, Striped, Yellow, and then a Mud Turtle with the subspecies Eastern (k.s.subrubrum), Florida (k.s.steindachneri), and Mississippi (k.s.hippocrepis). I don’t know whether to list info for all the species, only use the specific Mud Turtle listing, or just only put the general info it gave at the top of the section on the entire Kinosternidae family. So hopefully you can understand my confusion. I would ask my partner but she hasn’t done anything at all regarding this event. Thanks!
First of all, you should be using more than just one resource. Field guides aren't always the best, so try using websites like Animal Diversity Web. For that specific situation, you only need to know about the family Kinosternidae. You only have to write information about what is listed on the official list. If it says family, do info about the entire family, not the genera within it (unless those are also listed).
If there are important differences between the genera, then those are also worth noting down
Reema.panini
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Reema.panini »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
kate! wrote:
Reema.panini wrote:
If there are important differences between the genera, then those are also worth noting down
Ok thanks! That really cleared it up for me!
Who are we to wonder where we’re going?
Who am I to tell me who I am?
~ Netflix Trip, AJR
GurtYo
Division: B
State: IL

Post by GurtYo »

Have you guys seen an abundance of cladograms on your past tests, or are they farely rare?
“Life is short.
Smile while you still have teeth.”

― Mallory Hopkins
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

GurtYo wrote:Have you guys seen an abundance of cladograms on your past tests, or are they farely rare?
Fairly rare, although be prepared to answer how different genera/families are similar anatomically
GurtYo
Division: B
State: IL

Post by GurtYo »

GurtYo wrote:Have you guys seen an abundance of cladograms on your past tests, or are they farely rare?
Fairly rare, although be prepared to answer how different genera/families are similar anatomically
Will identifying from skeleton also be rare?
“Life is short.
Smile while you still have teeth.”

― Mallory Hopkins
RRapples
State: NJ

Post by RRapples »

GurtYo wrote:
Will identifying from skeleton also be rare?
I've seen skeletons on most tests that I've taken. You should definitely prepare for them.
JP Stevens 2020
Medals: 3 Regions, 2 Invitationals, 4 States
2016-17: Microbe
2017-18: Ecology, Herpetology, Microbe, Protein
2018-19: A&P, Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Herpetology, Protein, Science Quiz Bowl
2019-20: Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Ornithology, Protein
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

What is the recommended layout for binders since you can only have 2 inches of material? Thanks for the help.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

BennyTheJett wrote:What is the recommended layout for binders since you can only have 2 inches of material? Thanks for the help.
It's worth noting that even with two inches, you can still have over three pages per specimen on the list.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

BennyTheJett wrote:What is the recommended layout for binders since you can only have 2 inches of material? Thanks for the help.
It's worth noting that even with two inches, you can still have over three pages per specimen on the list.
So focus on the list. Is there anything really major outside of the list to take notes on?
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.

Return to “2019 Study Events”