Herpetology B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Herpetology B/C

Postby Unome » September 17th, 2018, 4:57 pm

longshot0921 wrote:In the list below the rules it lists the genus Charina – rubber boa and rosy boa
Rosy boa is not under the genus of Charina.

It's possible that it was in that genus in the past (I don't know for certain, but I think it's very likely).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Error in the national herpetology list.

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 17th, 2018, 6:33 pm

longshot0921 wrote:In the list below the rules it lists the genus Charina – rubber boa and rosy boa

Taxonomy has lots of synonyms and is very fluid

Froggie
Division: B

Re: Error in the national herpetology list.

Postby Froggie » September 18th, 2018, 6:13 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:

Taxonomy has lots of synonyms and is very fluid

Sometimes the taxonomy can change, so the list can have different taxonomy stuff from some websites.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Kyanite
Division: Grad
State: WA

Postby Kyanite » September 18th, 2018, 10:49 am

Even if it may be wrong go off of the list they provide, its the same list the test writers will model their test's around.

longshot0921
State: -

Postby longshot0921 » September 21st, 2018, 3:18 pm

Since I don't have a printer friendly version of my field guide, can I just tape a piece of paper to it with three holes to attach to the 2-inch binder?

Anomaly

Postby Anomaly » September 21st, 2018, 3:40 pm

longshot0921 wrote:Since I don't have a printer friendly version of my field guide, can I just tape a piece of paper to it with three holes to attach to the 2-inch binder?

I probably wouldn't put a field guide in a binder, as that will probably use up most of the binder space that you have in there.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018 (Student Coach 2019), Parkland HS SO 2019
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 24
Regional: 14
State: 5
Events:
Anatomy and Physiology, Disease Detectives, Codebusters, Write It Do It

#livingalifeofdepression

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 21st, 2018, 4:36 pm

Anomaly wrote:
longshot0921 wrote:Since I don't have a printer friendly version of my field guide, can I just tape a piece of paper to it with three holes to attach to the 2-inch binder?

I probably wouldn't put a field guide in a binder, as that will probably use up most of the binder space that you have in there.

You could always copy the relevant material onto your computer – that both helps you use space efficiently and helps you remember the general gist of things (although whether that's an efficient use of your time is debatable). Another option is scanning the pages.

jlordhe
State: CA

Postby jlordhe » September 22nd, 2018, 10:12 pm

Can I use the factsheets I made last year?
Events I Might Do and Want to Do: Fossils, Wright Stuff, Herpetology, Water Quality, Boomilever

kate!
State: NY

Postby kate! » September 23rd, 2018, 6:59 am

jlordhe wrote:Can I use the factsheets I made last year?

First of all, this is unrelated but I thought you were Unome because of your profile picture.
Second of all, you absolutely can, but you may want to consider making some adjustments because a few genera were added and removed.
Also, if your binder is larger than 2 inches, you have to accommodate the new rule.
I know stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I kind of know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, fossils, and water... hopefully I'll get to keep learning.

M017
State: NE

Postby M017 » September 24th, 2018, 7:24 am

Anomaly wrote:

You could always copy the relevant material onto your computer – that both helps you use space efficiently and helps you remember the general gist of things (although whether that's an efficient use of your time is debatable). Another option is scanning the pages.

This is exactly what I did last year. I just paraphrased what information it had.
Mission Middle School, NE
R/S/Nats
Herpetology: 1/1/14
Dynamic: 1/1/22
Towers: -/1/15
BB: -/3/41 :cry:

jlordhe
State: CA

Postby jlordhe » September 25th, 2018, 6:32 pm

M017 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:I probably wouldn't put a field guide in a binder, as that will probably use up most of the binder space that you have in there.

This is exactly what I did last year. I just paraphrased what information it had.

How successful were you?
Events I Might Do and Want to Do: Fossils, Wright Stuff, Herpetology, Water Quality, Boomilever

longshot0921

Postby longshot0921 » October 5th, 2018, 4:44 am

Anomaly wrote:

I have an invitation coming up and I haven't completed my reference pages yet, so would it be legal to attack a field guide to a binder this way?

Froggie

Postby Froggie » October 5th, 2018, 10:46 am

longshot0921 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

I have an invitation coming up and I haven't completed my reference pages yet, so would it be legal to attack a field guide to a binder this way?

I would assume you can attack a field guide to your binder as long as it fits in a 2 inch one.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

M017
State: NE

Postby M017 » October 5th, 2018, 11:47 am

jlordhe wrote:
M017 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:You could always copy the relevant material onto your computer – that both helps you use space efficiently and helps you remember the general gist of things (although whether that's an efficient use of your time is debatable). Another option is scanning the pages.

How successful were you?

14th at nats
Mission Middle School, NE
R/S/Nats
Herpetology: 1/1/14
Dynamic: 1/1/22
Towers: -/1/15
BB: -/3/41 :cry:

longshot0921

Postby longshot0921 » October 8th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Froggie wrote:
longshot0921 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:I probably wouldn't put a field guide in a binder, as that will probably use up most of the binder space that you have in there.

I would assume you can attack a field guide to your binder as long as it fits in a 2 inch one.

I'll try it at the invitational and I'll just hope I won't get penalized or DQed. I'm currently creating my own reference pages for the future. I'll let you know how it goes.

Return to “Study Events”