Herpetology B/C

kate!
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Herpetology B/C

Postby kate! » November 11th, 2018, 3:07 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
PeptoBismol wrote:I was researching about racers and I have come across an anomaly. There is a particular snake that's called the California whipsnake or striped racer, but whipsnakes and racers are part of different genera. Wikipedia, Reptile Database, ADW, and IUCN call it Masticophis lateralis and California Herps, iNaturalist, and EOL call it Coluber lateralis. I also found this issue for some other animals.

Does anyone know what to do in this situation?

Include it in your notes but also mention the controversies.

Adding on to this, when this comes up for other animals, and the information you find contradicts the official list, always go by what the list says, but include the other information.
I know stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I kind of know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, fossils, and water... hopefully I'll get to keep learning.

cbrant554
State: IN

Postby cbrant554 » November 16th, 2018, 8:57 am

kate! wrote:
PeptoBismol wrote:I was researching about racers and I have come across an anomaly. There is a particular snake that's called the California whipsnake or striped racer, but whipsnakes and racers are part of different genera. Wikipedia, Reptile Database, ADW, and IUCN call it Masticophis lateralis and California Herps, iNaturalist, and EOL call it Coluber lateralis. I also found this issue for some other animals.

Does anyone know what to do in this situation?

Include it in your notes but also mention the controversies.

Adding on to this, when this comes up for other animals, and the information you find contradicts the official list, always go by what the list says, but include the other information.

Always use the rules or SOinc.org as a reference to see what to use or what could be right or wrong.

MiningMathSushi

Re: Herpetology B/C Polychridae?

Postby MiningMathSushi » November 26th, 2018, 11:09 am

Anyone have any idea if classification has changed recently? For example, I think that Polychridae has been renamed to Dactyloidae. If anyone could help it'd be great!

dvegadvol
State: -

Postby dvegadvol » November 26th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Polychridae has indeed been changed to Dactyloidae (in 2012*), but the National list still has Polychridae as the Family name; ES are asked to stick to the National list.

Go with the list, but make a note of the Family name change...

* http://www.southeastern.edu/acad_resear ... al2012.pdf

isotelus
State: TX

Postby isotelus » November 27th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Hello, I was wondering how much trivia we would need to know for each order and genus, or if it's even relevant at all.
Thanks
Fossils, Solar System, Elastic Launched Gliders
Anatomy and Physiology, Herpetology

kate!
State: NY

Postby kate! » November 27th, 2018, 4:02 pm

isotelus wrote:Hello, I was wondering how much trivia we would need to know for each order and genus, or if it's even relevant at all.
Thanks

Okay this may not be good advice because I've never actually competed but I think that you should know things like state reptiles, etymology, information specifically pertaining to your state, but just things that you think are relevant and different from other genera/orders. For example, the fact that a species of Ensatina is a ring species.
I know stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I kind of know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, fossils, and water... hopefully I'll get to keep learning.

isotelus
State: TX

Postby isotelus » November 27th, 2018, 4:03 pm

kate! wrote:
isotelus wrote:Hello, I was wondering how much trivia we would need to know for each order and genus, or if it's even relevant at all.
Thanks

Okay this may not be good advice because I've never actually competed but I think that you should know things like state reptiles, etymology, information specifically pertaining to your state, but just things that you think are relevant and different from other genera/orders. For example, the fact that a species of Ensatina is a ring species.

Ok, thank you!
Fossils, Solar System, Elastic Launched Gliders
Anatomy and Physiology, Herpetology

Kyanite
Division: Grad
State: WA

Postby Kyanite » November 28th, 2018, 10:34 am

Thanks

Last year some notable ones I saw over and over were state reptiles/amphibians, locations of interest (ie blind salamanders in Texas), venom facts, defense mechanisms and unique adaptations. Essentially if a genus has something fairly unusual about it, expect them to ask questions about it.

karanbe123

Postby karanbe123 » November 28th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Kyanite wrote:
Thanks

Last year some notable ones I saw over and over were state reptiles/amphibians, locations of interest (ie blind salamanders in Texas), venom facts, defense mechanisms and unique adaptations. Essentially if a genus has something fairly unusual about it, expect them to ask questions about it.

Yeah, at this point its I wouldn't even call it trivia because they are asked so often.
Karanbe never died.

cbrant554

Postby cbrant554 » November 29th, 2018, 7:38 am

karanbe123 wrote:
Kyanite wrote:
Thanks

Yeah, at this point its I wouldn't even call it trivia because they are asked so often.

I would group the genus facts with one of the animals in the genus and use that as your base like I see a lot of dusky salamander questions so I would put my Plethodontidae genus facts on the same page or a page after them

gl10086

Postby gl10086 » November 30th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Hello! I was wondering if there were any websites that I could use for additional information besides the wiki page. Have any ideas?
"Everyone is weird. If you're not weird, you're weird." -Me

Yellow is the best color ever.

Everything is awesomesauce!

Peace out. 8-)

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » November 30th, 2018, 6:21 pm

gl10086 wrote:Hello! I was wondering if there were any websites that I could use for additional information besides the wiki page. Have any ideas?

Wikipedia :P

gl10086

Postby gl10086 » November 30th, 2018, 6:27 pm

gl10086 wrote:Hello! I was wondering if there were any websites that I could use for additional information besides the wiki page. Have any ideas?

Wikipedia :P

Thank you.
"Everyone is weird. If you're not weird, you're weird." -Me

Yellow is the best color ever.

Everything is awesomesauce!

Peace out. 8-)

dvegadvol

Postby dvegadvol » December 1st, 2018, 8:14 am

This is a great resource: https://animaldiversity.org/

cbrant554

Postby cbrant554 » December 2nd, 2018, 1:07 am

I recommend also trying to find online PDFs of field guides because they can be more consistent than some online resources

Return to “Study Events”