Water Quality B/C

sourpatchkids
State: -

Re: Water Quality B/C

Postby sourpatchkids » November 17th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Thanks for the help!! Another question : for the salinometer, is there a certain size that the calibration container has to be able to hold, such as 400-600mL? Or will we be testing the competition's saltwater solution in any size container of our choice?

jimmy-bond
Division: C
State: HI

Postby jimmy-bond » November 17th, 2018, 3:57 pm

sourpatchkids wrote:Thanks for the help!! Another question : for the salinometer, is there a certain size that the calibration container has to be able to hold, such as 400-600mL? Or will we be testing the competition's saltwater solution in any size container of our choice?

They're gonna provide a beaker that's either 400 mL or 600 mL.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Roses are red, violets are blue, I have Alzheimer's, cheese on toast.

2019 Events
Boomilever, Chem Lab, DD, Fermi Questions, Forensics, Water Quality

2018 Nats
CB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

briantom

Postby briantom » November 18th, 2018, 5:40 pm

For the salinity testing, are the students allowed to pour the unknown given solution into their own salinometer? Or, do they have to use the container (400 or 600mL beaker) that its given in?

Fridaychimp
State: TX

Postby Fridaychimp » November 18th, 2018, 6:47 pm

briantom wrote:For the salinity testing, are the students allowed to pour the unknown given solution into their own salinometer? Or, do they have to use the container (400 or 600mL beaker) that its given in?

I think that largely depends on the proctor. However, I would say that most proctors would prefer if the solution stayed in the given beaker.
Seven Lakes Junior High '17, Seven Lakes High School '21

Concord

Postby Concord » November 19th, 2018, 8:00 pm

briantom wrote:For the salinity testing, are the students allowed to pour the unknown given solution into their own salinometer? Or, do they have to use the container (400 or 600mL beaker) that its given in?

"b. There are no restrictions on size except that the team must build the device to operate within a standard
400 – 600 mL beaker filled with the saltwater solution."

The wording of it on 3 (part III) b. makes it seem like the salinometer must function within the beaker, so you probably won't be able to pour the water out of the beaker into your own device. I'm not 100% sure though
William P. Clements '20

sourpatchkids
State: -

Postby sourpatchkids » November 24th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Concord wrote:

"b. There are no restrictions on size except that the team must build the device to operate within a standard

The wording of it on 3 (part III) b. makes it seem like the salinometer must function within the beaker, so you probably won't be able to pour the water out of the beaker into your own device. I'm not 100% sure though

Don't you build a salinometer for a specific sized container though? So we'd have to build and bring multiple to fit beaker sizes between 400-600 mL?

MattChina
Division: B
State: NY

Postby MattChina » November 24th, 2018, 3:28 pm

sourpatchkids wrote:
Concord wrote:

Don't you build a salinometer for a specific sized container though? So we'd have to build and bring multiple to fit beaker sizes between 400-600 mL?

I guess you have to be able to adjust your salinometer
Physics is my city

2017 events: Hovercraft, Ecology, Optics, Write it do it, Fast Facts, Mystery Design(NY trial)
2018 events: Hovercraft, Ecology, Optics, Thermodynamics, Quiz bowl(NY trial)
2019 events:

Concord

Postby Concord » November 24th, 2018, 9:59 pm

sourpatchkids wrote:
Concord wrote:

It's really varied at the two competitions I've done Water Quality at so far, but at Cyfalls I know they had both a 400 mL beaker and a 600 mL beaker. I would probably say it's safer to calibrate your salinometer within a 400 mL beaker though, just to ensure that it won't hit the bottom if you use a larger one and the proctor provides a smaller one. If you do decide to use a larger sized beaker, as long as your salinometer isn't excessively long/large or anything, you should be fine.

So yeah, you should be fine with just one salinometer that's been calibrated in a 400 mL solution.
William P. Clements '20

goodgra1

Postby goodgra1 » November 27th, 2018, 2:14 pm

What is the basics for Water Quality?

MattChina

Postby MattChina » November 27th, 2018, 2:32 pm

goodgra1 wrote:What is the basics for Water Quality?

aquatic ecology, water cycle, nutrient cycling, aquatic
chemistry and its implications for life, potable water treatment, wastewater treatment, aquatic food
chains/webs, community interactions, population dynamics, watershed resource management issues,
sedimentation pollution, and harmful species. Then you also have to be able to id a list of organisms larvae and adult form Class 1 – Pollution Sensitive: Caddisfly, Dobsonfly, Gilled Snails, Mayfly, Riffle Beetle, Stonefly,
Water Penny, Water Scorpion
ii. Class 2 – Moderately Sensitive: Aquatic Sowbug, Crane Fly, Damselfly, Dragonfly, Scuds
iii. Class 3 – Moderately Tolerant: Blackfly, Flatworm, Leeches, Midge, Water Mite
iv. Class 4 – Pollution Tolerant: Air Breathing Snail, Midge Fly Bloodworm, Deer/Horse Fly, Tubifex
v. Class 5 – Air Breathing: Back Swimmer, Giant Water Bug, Mosquito, Predacious Diving Beetle,
Water Boatman, Water Strider, Whirligig Beetle
vi. Aquatic Nuisance Plants: Purple Loosestrife, Eurasian Water Milfoil, and Water Hyacinth
vii. Aquatic Nuisance Animals: Zebra Mussel, Spiny Water Flea, Asian Tiger Mosquito, & Asian Carp
Physics is my city

2017 events: Hovercraft, Ecology, Optics, Write it do it, Fast Facts, Mystery Design(NY trial)
2019 events:

goodgra1

Postby goodgra1 » November 27th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Thanks

Fastsailor

Re: Water Quality B/C mass/volume %

Postby Fastsailor » December 7th, 2018, 6:51 am

Looking for confirmation on the mass/volume % usage in the Water Quality rules (and Density Lab). Do I assume correctly that this 1-10% value is (mass of solute in grams / volume of solution in mL ) x 100 ?

Quote from rules:

"Teams must build, calibrate, bring and demonstrate a salinometer/hydrometer capable of measuring saltwater (most likely NaCl) concentrations between 1-10% (mass/volume)."

Here is an interesting comment from wikipedia on the "incorrect" use of mass/volume percentage:

In biology, the "%" symbol is sometimes incorrectly used to denote mass concentration, also called "mass/volume percentage." A solution with 1 g of solute dissolved in a final volume of 100 mL of solution would be labeled as "1%" or "1% m/v" (mass/volume). The notation is mathematically flawed because the unit "%" can only be used for dimensionless quantities. "Percent solution" or "percentage solution" are thus terms best reserved for "mass percent solutions" (m/m = m% = mass solute/mass total solution after mixing), or "volume percent solutions" (v/v = v% = volume solute per volume of total solution after mixing). The very ambiguous terms "percent solution" and "percentage solutions" with no other qualifiers, continue to occasionally be encountered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_conc ... (chemistry)

MattChina

Postby MattChina » December 7th, 2018, 7:17 am

That is a very interesting point. I think it would be mass in grams over volume in mL, but again, I dont run water quality, so maybe email like soinc or an event proctor for clarification.
Physics is my city

2019 events:

NadiaT

Postby NadiaT » December 11th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Do we need to know about estuaries? If so, how much? I was initially under the impression that we didn't, as estuaries are either marine or brackish water, not fresh, but it came up on a practice test we took. Is this a fluke or will it come up more often? Thanks.

MattChina

Postby MattChina » December 11th, 2018, 1:53 pm

NadiaT wrote:Do we need to know about estuaries? If so, how much? I was initially under the impression that we didn't, as estuaries are either marine or brackish water, not fresh, but it came up on a practice test we took. Is this a fluke or will it come up more often? Thanks.

No, estuaries are part of water quality this year, maybe the practice test you took was from previous years when this event was run.
Physics is my city

2019 events:

Return to “Study Events”