Water Quality B/C

John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Water Quality B/C

Postby John Richardsim » January 27th, 2019, 9:44 am

Check out this quizlet set for macroinvertebrate identification that I just finished: https://quizlet.com/363496522/water-qua ... ash-cards/
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

aflucke

Postby aflucke » January 27th, 2019, 6:03 pm

A team at our last invitational was recently disqualified from the water quality event for tasting the salt water solution; is this a legitimate reason for disqualification?

John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Division: Grad

Postby John Richardsim » January 27th, 2019, 6:53 pm

aflucke wrote:A team at our last invitational was recently disqualified from the water quality event for tasting the salt water solution; is this a legitimate reason for disqualification?

Absolutely. While small amounts of a salt water solution itself isn't dangerous to ingest, the fact that the solution is being used in a lab setting (even if the event wasn't in a lab room, the water was likely stored in a graduated cylinder, a beaker, or even just a large tub -- some container for which it should be apparent that the water isn't for consumption) makes this a safety violation of a pretty standard lab rule.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

MattChina
Division: B
State: NY

Postby MattChina » January 27th, 2019, 6:54 pm

aflucke wrote:A team at our last invitational was recently disqualified from the water quality event for tasting the salt water solution; is this a legitimate reason for disqualification?

Never eat ur experiments
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member

Rivkaaa

Postby Rivkaaa » February 3rd, 2019, 10:34 am

MattChina wrote:

Never eat ur experiments

lol yeah! Another common disqualifying factor is in CB when teams decide to taste the salt/sugar mixtures in order to tell which one it is!
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy

Flyingfish
Division: C
State: PA

Postby Flyingfish » February 4th, 2019, 12:44 pm

For the salinometer, my 1-10% marks are really close, and those are only for whole numbers. How are we expected to measure down to the tenth? We are using a straw with clay on the end. Is there a way to spread out these marks more? Also, depending on how the salinometer is put into the water, the measurement tends to vary by a percent.

Please help :(

jimmy-bond
State: HI

Postby jimmy-bond » February 4th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Flyingfish wrote:For the salinometer, my 1-10% marks are really close, and those are only for whole numbers. How are we expected to measure down to the tenth? We are using a straw with clay on the end. Is there a way to spread out these marks more? Also, depending on how the salinometer is put into the water, the measurement tends to vary by a percent.

Please help :(

One possibility is electronically calibrating a salinometer but that's a lotta work. One thing I found to change how far apart the lines are is changing the shape of the clay. And about measuring to the tenth, you should have the integer lines marked and estimate from there; the exact doesn't really matter because you get a wide range of values for full credit.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Why can't dinosaurs ski? Because they're dead.

Cornell here we come!

2019 States
Code Busters(1), DD(1), FQ(2), Forensics(1), WQ(5)

2018 Nats
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

annchen128
State: MN

Postby annchen128 » February 4th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Are we supposed to know the pupa/egg form of the organism during identification?
Hello

kate!
Location: somewhere in between R.C. Murphy JHS and Ward Melville HS, i guess

Postby kate! » February 4th, 2019, 8:00 pm

annchen128 wrote:Are we supposed to know the pupa/egg form of the organism during identification?

I think it depends on the organism, but most likely no? Just larvae and adult. Unless it's, like, water mite or uh giant water bug where the eggs are on another organism or on it.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!

jimmy-bond

Postby jimmy-bond » February 4th, 2019, 8:50 pm

annchen128 wrote:Are we supposed to know the pupa/egg form of the organism during identification?

I've seen it come up for C, and I recommend knowing the most obvious ones at least.

Cornell here we come!

2019 States

2018 Nats

2017 Nats

bp31000
State: TN

Postby bp31000 » February 15th, 2019, 2:31 pm

sourpatchkids wrote:In a Water Quality test, there was a question stating that the condition in which DO is below 1 mg and no life that requires oxygen can be supported is
called stagnation. The other answer choices were hypoxia, bioaccumulation, and apoxia.
Can someone explain why the answer isn't hypoxia, but stagnation?
Thanks.

Hypoxia is the term used for hypoxemia (low oxygen in blood). so outside of organisms or human body the term is not used, may be that is why?
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system 1st State & Regional<3
:?: Water Quality 1st State & Regional :?:
8-) Anatomy and Physiology 1st State & Regional 8-)
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:

hmmm
State: NJ

Postby hmmm » February 15th, 2019, 2:36 pm

bp31000 wrote:
sourpatchkids wrote:In a Water Quality test, there was a question stating that the condition in which DO is below 1 mg and no life that requires oxygen can be supported is
called stagnation. The other answer choices were hypoxia, bioaccumulation, and apoxia.
Can someone explain why the answer isn't hypoxia, but stagnation?
Thanks.

Hypoxia is the term used for hypoxemia (low oxygen in blood). so outside of organisms or human body the term is not used, may be that is why?

No, hypoxia is used outside of anatomy when referring to low DO water. That test question was just wrong.
Community 2017-2019
2017-2018
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology

2018-2019:
LISO/Rustin/Regionals/Garnet/Cornell/States/Nats
Fossils:3/6/1/1/1/2/-
Water Quality:1/2/-/1/6/1/-
Game On:1/2/-/1/2/3/-
Disease Detectives:-/-/-/6/-/-/-

Chameleon02

Postby Chameleon02 » February 16th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Ive fallen into a sort of predicament. I literally dont know of resources to study from for WQ. What resources are you guys using. I already exhausted everything on question marathons, soinc sites, and many sites on google. I know I can get way better but dont know of resources to study from.
Captain of Canton Highschool
Class of 2020

jimmy-bond

Postby jimmy-bond » February 17th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Chameleon02 wrote:Ive fallen into a sort of predicament. I literally dont know of resources to study from for WQ. What resources are you guys using. I already exhausted everything on question marathons, soinc sites, and many sites on google. I know I can get way better but dont know of resources to study from.

After going through every section of the rules, there isn't much to do besides test. By taking tests, you can get the general sense of what is being asked and add information to your notes accordingly. If you've been constantly studying up to this point, there's not much else you can do, especially at this point of the season.

Cornell here we come!

2019 States

2018 Nats

2017 Nats

bp31000
State: TN

Postby bp31000 » February 18th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Chameleon02 wrote:Ive fallen into a sort of predicament. I literally dont know of resources to study from for WQ. What resources are you guys using. I already exhausted everything on question marathons, soinc sites, and many sites on google. I know I can get way better but dont know of resources to study from.

our coach advised us to study from fresh water chapters of environmental science textbooks and water chapters in geology textbooks. it doesn't cover water testing part, though.
for the macro invertebrates id section, there are lots of id games online
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system 1st State & Regional<3
:?: Water Quality 1st State & Regional :?:
8-) Anatomy and Physiology 1st State & Regional 8-)
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:

Return to “Study Events”