Water Quality B/C

Scrambledeggs

Re: Water Quality B/C

Postby Scrambledeggs » March 11th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Does anybody have a good explanation for the River continuum concept?

jimmy-bond
Division: C
State: HI

Postby jimmy-bond » March 11th, 2019, 11:03 pm

Scrambledeggs wrote:Does anybody have a good explanation for the River continuum concept?

Rivers get larger as they near a larger body of water to empty into, and as the width increases, more biota is present. This is because towards the top of the stream, organisms are confined into a small space and larger fish cannot live there. But, as you travel down, you will see more and more biota of varying sizes as there is more physical space.

I have no idea if I'm actually correct but yeah, that's my understanding.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Roses are red, violets are blue, I have Alzheimer's, cheese on toast.

2019 Events
Chem Lab, Code Busters, DD, Fermi Questions, Forensics, Water Quality

2018 Nats
CB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

hmmm
Division: B
State: NJ

Postby hmmm » March 12th, 2019, 4:02 am

jimmy-bond wrote:
Scrambledeggs wrote:Does anybody have a good explanation for the River continuum concept?

Rivers get larger as they near a larger body of water to empty into, and as the width increases, more biota is present. This is because towards the top of the stream, organisms are confined into a small space and larger fish cannot live there. But, as you travel down, you will see more and more biota of varying sizes as there is more physical space.

Isn't it that the composition of feeding methods(scraper,shredder, collector, predator) changes in a predictable way going downstream?
Community 2017-2019
2017-2018
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology

2018-2019:
LISO/Rustin/Regionals/Garnet/Cornell/States/Nats
Fossils:3/6/1/1/1/2/-
Water Quality:1/2/-/1/6/1/-
Game On:1/2/-/1/2/3/-
Disease Detectives:-/-/-/6/-/-/-

drcubbin
State: NY

Postby drcubbin » March 12th, 2019, 5:41 am

hmmm wrote:
jimmy-bond wrote:

Isn't it that the composition of feeding methods(scraper,shredder, collector, predator) changes in a predictable way going downstream?

Having taught Earth Science for 9 years, this is a new one on me. It looks (yes, according to Wikipedia!) that there exists a "dynamic equilibrium" (a continuing state of balance) given biotic and abiotic factors within a moving river - I am guessing this has something to do with erosion and deposition of riverbanks as well. It also seems to be a useful way of classifying and organizing organisms and their niches. Just my take on it.

Girlpower05
State: MI

Postby Girlpower05 » March 14th, 2019, 6:13 pm

I have been having an issue with my salinometer. I only made three marks for 0, 5, and 10 percent salinity solutions, but they were all only a few millimeters apart. What can I do to make my marks more spread out?
Also, if the beaker that I make my salinometer in is a different size than the beaker that they provide, will it make a difference?
Last edited by Girlpower05 on March 14th, 2019, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hmmm

Postby hmmm » March 14th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Girlpower05 wrote:I have been having an issue with my salinometer. I only made three marks for 0, 5, and 10 percent salinity solutions, but they were all only a few millimeters apart. What can I do to make my marks more spread out?
Also, if the beaker that I make my salinometer in is a different size than the beaker that they proved, will it make a difference?

1.Use a different sized straw/cylinder/whatever, I think.
2.No, because the density of the solution will still be the same, which is all the salinometer depends on.
Community 2017-2019
2017-2018

2018-2019:

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Postby gneissisnice » March 14th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Girlpower05 wrote:I have been having an issue with my salinometer. I only made three marks for 0, 5, and 10 percent salinity solutions, but they were all only a few millimeters apart. What can I do to make my marks more spread out?
Also, if the beaker that I make my salinometer in is a different size than the beaker that they provide, will it make a difference?

Using a thinner straw should increase the distance between marks.

It shouldn't make a difference, just make sure that in the smallest possible size, it doesn't touch the bottom.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

hmmm

Postby hmmm » March 15th, 2019, 8:26 am

What's the order of the wastewater treatment process?
Different sites have different answers
Community 2017-2019
2017-2018

2018-2019:

Rivkaaa

Postby Rivkaaa » March 17th, 2019, 9:36 am

hmmm wrote:What's the order of the wastewater treatment process?

Collection --> Screening & Straining --> Chemical Addition --> Coagulation & Flocculation --> Sedimentation & Clarification --> Filtration --> Storage --> Distribution
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy

hmmm

Postby hmmm » March 17th, 2019, 10:12 am

Rivkaaa wrote:

Collection --> Screening & Straining --> Chemical Addition --> Coagulation & Flocculation --> Sedimentation & Clarification --> Filtration --> Storage --> Distribution

Isn't this potable water treatment?
Community 2017-2019
2017-2018

2018-2019:

bp31000
State: TN

Postby bp31000 » March 20th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Waste water treatment is Primary, secondary and in some cases, tertiary treatment. steps vary from facility to facility

Primary treatment removes suspended and floating particles, such as sand and silt, by mechanical processes such as screening and gravitational settling. The solid material that settles out at this stage is primary sludge. Primary treatment does little to eliminate the inorganic and organic compounds that remain suspended in the wastewater.

Secondary treatment uses microorganisms (aerobic bacteria) to decompose the suspended organic material in wastewater, One of the several types of secondary treatment is trickling filters, in which wastewater trickles through aerated rock beds that contain bacteria and other microorganisms, which degrade the organic material in the water. In another type of secondary treatment, the activated sludge process, wastewater is aerated and circulated through bacteria-rich particles; the bacteria degrade suspended organic material. After several hours, the particles and microorganisms are allowed to settle out, forming secondary sludge, a slimy mixture of bacteria-laden solids. Water that has undergone primary and secondary treatment is clear and free of organic wastes such as sewage. The wastewater treatment facilities for about 62% of the U.S. population have both primary and secondary treatments.

Advanced wastewater treatment methods, or tertiary treatment, include a variety of biological, chemical, and physical processes. Tertiary treatment reduces phosphorus and nitrogen, the nutrients most commonly associated with enrichment. Tertiary treatment purifies wastewater for reuse in communities where water is scarce. The wastewater treatment facilities for about 27% of the U.S. population have primary, secondary, and tertiary treatments.
Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system 1st <3
:?: Water Quality 1st :?:
8-) Anatomy and Physiology 1st 8-)
:roll: Heredity 2nd :roll:

treemesa

Postby treemesa » Today, 12:01 pm

About the salinometer build, does anyone have an idea of how much must be built on your own? It may seem like a silly question, but for example, would I be able to use a store-bought regulated power supply module or would I have to build a regulator myself?

hmmm

Postby hmmm » Today, 12:09 pm

treemesa wrote:About the salinometer build, does anyone have an idea of how much must be built on your own? It may seem like a silly question, but for example, would I be able to use a store-bought regulated power supply module or would I have to build a regulator myself?

According to the FAQ(https://www.soinc.org/water-quality-div-b),"However, because students must build the device, store-bought salinity or conductivity probes, current-measurement devices, and similar store-bought components would be in violation of that part of the rules. "
Community 2017-2019
2017-2018

2018-2019:

Return to “Study Events”