eab2114
Division: C
State: DC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by eab2114 »

Rivkaaa wrote:
eab2114 wrote:I'm trying to build my salinometer using the method from the sci oly website (straw and ball of clay) and am having a lot of trouble getting the straw to stand up straight in the water. Other members of my team who have done the event in the past suggested using thick bubble tea straw, so I am using a reusable one I got from amazon and can't seem to find a way for it to stand up straight. Does anyone have any tips?
I'd suggest using a thinner straw (it helps you distinguish between each percentage more easily). Also, if it cannot stand straight, it means that there's not enough clay, so add a tiny bit more until it begins to stand straight.
So does using a standard straw from a restaurant or something usually work well?
eab2114
State: DC

Post by eab2114 »

Also, for division c, how do you guys approach prioritizing which information to put onto your study guide? I'm new to the event and looked through several tests, and it seems like a wider variety of info is covered than what I could fit on a page front and back. And for the species identification, do you try to learn all of the pictures and names ahead of time to avoid consuming tons of space with them? Thanks!
flembo17
State: FL

Post by flembo17 »

eab2114 wrote:Also, for division c, how do you guys approach prioritizing which information to put onto your study guide? I'm new to the event and looked through several tests, and it seems like a wider variety of info is covered than what I could fit on a page front and back. And for the species identification, do you try to learn all of the pictures and names ahead of time to avoid consuming tons of space with them? Thanks!
My partner and I have always found it the most effective to memorize macro invertebrate pictures on quizlet/cram.com. This allows more room on the cheat sheet to be allocated toward other information.
Boca Raton Community High School
2020 Events: Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Ping Pong Parachute, Water Quality
2019 Events: Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality
jimmy-bond
Division: Grad
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

eab2114 wrote:Also, for division c, how do you guys approach prioritizing which information to put onto your study guide? I'm new to the event and looked through several tests, and it seems like a wider variety of info is covered than what I could fit on a page front and back. And for the species identification, do you try to learn all of the pictures and names ahead of time to avoid consuming tons of space with them? Thanks!
I have pictures of the organisms just to have them. I never really use them but for certain iffy ones, I take a glance. I will probably have to take them out, however, as states is rolling around the corner and I still have to fit in septic tanks.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
bp31000
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

eab2114 wrote:
Rivkaaa wrote:
eab2114 wrote:I'm trying to build my salinometer using the method from the sci oly website (straw and ball of clay) and am having a lot of trouble getting the straw to stand up straight in the water. Other members of my team who have done the event in the past suggested using thick bubble tea straw, so I am using a reusable one I got from amazon and can't seem to find a way for it to stand up straight. Does anyone have any tips?
I'd suggest using a thinner straw (it helps you distinguish between each percentage more easily). Also, if it cannot stand straight, it means that there's not enough clay, so add a tiny bit more until it begins to stand straight.
So does using a standard straw from a restaurant or something usually work well?
you can use an eye dropper (from a pharmacy or a craft store) it has a thin tube with a bulb at the bottom. you can add sand in it to weigh down. the bulb and the thin tube above will make the difference in distance between pure water flotation ht and 10% saline flotation ht to about an inch or more. google eyedropper hydrometer and you will find the method.
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
wearymagpie

Post by wearymagpie »

has anyone here made a salinometer that is accurate and consistent, and what type (straw and clay, electronic, etc) is it? I've made multiple salinometers with different thicknesses of straws, different amounts of clay and the eyedropper salinometer but none of them have been very good- the spacings are really tiny and the straw will sometimes even sit at whichever marking I set the device into the water at : (
2019-20 events: ornithology, codebusters, water quality, fossils
bp31000

Post by bp31000 »

wearymagpie wrote:has anyone here made a salinometer that is accurate and consistent, and what type (straw and clay, electronic, etc) is it? I've made multiple salinometers with different thicknesses of straws, different amounts of clay and the eyedropper salinometer but none of them have been very good- the spacings are really tiny and the straw will sometimes even sit at whichever marking I set the device into the water at : (
you can make one with a paint dropper (from a craft store like hobby lobby) instead of an eye dropper and add stability to it by adding poster tack like a cone at the bottom. add weight by adding sugar or very fine sand inside. bigger the bulb and smaller the narrow part above will give you enough spacing. the one we used gave us accurate readings every time.
wearymagpie

Post by wearymagpie »

bp31000 wrote:
wearymagpie wrote:has anyone here made a salinometer that is accurate and consistent, and what type (straw and clay, electronic, etc) is it? I've made multiple salinometers with different thicknesses of straws, different amounts of clay and the eyedropper salinometer but none of them have been very good- the spacings are really tiny and the straw will sometimes even sit at whichever marking I set the device into the water at : (
you can make one with a paint dropper (from a craft store like hobby lobby) instead of an eye dropper and add stability to it by adding poster tack like a cone at the bottom. add weight by adding sugar or very fine sand inside. bigger the bulb and smaller the narrow part above will give you enough spacing. the one we used gave us accurate readings every time.
ooh I'll try that out, thanks!
2019-20 events: ornithology, codebusters, water quality, fossils
bp31000

Post by bp31000 »

We have made a really good (atleast we think so) powerpoint for b div macro invertebrate identification, if anyone is still looking for study material. Disclaimer: we do not have copyright to any of the images, all credits go to the original copyright owners of the images.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uKTbbz ... sp=sharing
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

bp31000 wrote:We have made a really good (atleast we think so) powerpoint for b div macro invertebrate identification, if anyone is still looking for study material. Disclaimer: we do not have copyright to any of the images, all credits go to the original copyright owners of the images.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uKTbbz ... sp=sharing
Thank you!

Return to “2019 Study Events”