Division: C
State: PA

Re: Water Quality B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 26th, 2018, 12:23 pm

jlordhe wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
jlordhe wrote:
You didn't answer my question

I suppose testing the salinity of freshwater can be occasionally useful. In practice, freshwater will not always have no salt content (as far as I know).

According to the very reliable source called Google, freshwater has no salt, but also apparently has little concentrations of dissolved salt. I'm extremely confused now :?

(Note that most of the time, Google isn't a source in and of itself.)

jlordhe
State: CA

Postby jlordhe » September 26th, 2018, 6:04 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
jlordhe wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:I suppose testing the salinity of freshwater can be occasionally useful. In practice, freshwater will not always have no salt content (as far as I know).

According to the very reliable source called Google, freshwater has no salt, but also apparently has little concentrations of dissolved salt. I'm extremely confused now :?

(Note that most of the time, Google isn't a source in and of itself.)

That me requote that: According to http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Freshwater...
Events I Might Do and Want to Do: Fossils, Wright Stuff, Herpetology, Water Quality, Boomilever

izzanom
Division: B
State: NC

Postby izzanom » September 30th, 2018, 8:39 am

How would you guys suggest studying the list organisms? Do you try to put them on your cheatsheet or just memorize everything?

zark.masood

Postby zark.masood » October 14th, 2018, 5:27 pm

how do you study for part two? part one I believe i'm pretty prepared for but i have no idea what to do for part two. please help

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » October 14th, 2018, 5:51 pm

izzanom wrote:How would you guys suggest studying the list organisms? Do you try to put them on your cheatsheet or just memorize everything?

I'd suggest having info about them on the sheet and then committing the pictures to memory, but if there's enough space on the sheet, you should definitely add whatever helps.
zark.masood wrote:how do you study for part two? part one I believe i'm pretty prepared for but i have no idea what to do for part two. please help

Basically, look up everything listed in the rules for each organism. Make a table or something. Add pictures and such and remove them when you feel you don't need them.

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » October 14th, 2018, 5:52 pm

zark.masood wrote:how do you study for part two? part one I believe i'm pretty prepared for but i have no idea what to do for part two. please help

Part II can basically be treated like any other ID event (such as Herpetology). Learn how to identify the organisms and learn relevant information about them.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

kate!
State: NY

Postby kate! » October 14th, 2018, 6:53 pm

If you're in Div B, I'd definitely suggest making a table with the names of the organism and their significance in aquatic ecology.
If you're in Div C, make a table as well, but include more relevant and specific information to each organism.
I know stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I kind of know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, fossils, and water... hopefully I'll get to keep learning.

MattChina

Postby MattChina » October 15th, 2018, 6:31 am

kate! wrote:

If you're in Div B, I'd definitely suggest making a table with the names of the organism and their significance in aquatic ecology.
If you're in Div C, make a table as well, but include more relevant and specific information to each organism.

I think it would be better just to memorize each organism by looking at pictures.
Physics is my city

2017 events: Hovercraft, Ecology, Optics, Write it do it, Fast Facts, Mystery Design(NY trial)
2018 events: Hovercraft, Ecology, Optics, Thermodynamics, Quiz bowl(NY trial)

Ankles moister than a humid summer day

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » October 15th, 2018, 12:31 pm

MattChina wrote:
kate! wrote:

I think it would be better just to memorize each organism by looking at pictures.

You need more information than just what it looks like though.

kate!

Postby kate! » October 17th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Do we need any information about nutrient cycling other than the diagrams for the carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus cycles?
Now I kind of know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, fossils, and water... hopefully I'll get to keep learning.

MattChina

Postby MattChina » October 18th, 2018, 5:55 am

kate! wrote:Do we need any information about nutrient cycling other than the diagrams for the carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus cycles?

Just know what is involved in the cycles and their relation to the habitats
Physics is my city

2017 events: Hovercraft, Ecology, Optics, Write it do it, Fast Facts, Mystery Design(NY trial)
2018 events: Hovercraft, Ecology, Optics, Thermodynamics, Quiz bowl(NY trial)

Ankles moister than a humid summer day

kate!

Postby kate! » October 19th, 2018, 12:34 pm

For the section on "watershed resource management issues", where do I begin? I have literally no idea what that even means, and trying to look it up is just making me more confused...

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby nicholasmaurer » October 20th, 2018, 6:23 pm

kate! wrote:For the section on "watershed resource management issues", where do I begin? I have literally no idea what that even means, and trying to look it up is just making me more confused...

Per the coaches clinic today, this topic is incredibly broad. I would generally construe it as policy issues relating to water quality and watershed conservation. Issues such as fertilizer runoff, pollution limits/controls, invasive species management, water availability (e.g. dams, rerouting), erosion control, etc. all fall under this umbrella in my opinion.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

cpagan

Postby cpagan » November 7th, 2018, 11:54 am

Are Estuaries considered freshwater????? since they are really both fresh and salt??

kate!

Postby kate! » November 7th, 2018, 12:11 pm

cpagan wrote:Are Estuaries considered freshwater????? since they are really both fresh and salt??

Estuaries, in this event, are a separate topic from freshwater regardless of their definition. So while they can be freshwater in some cases, we don't need to know about them for Water Quality.

Return to “Study Events”