Dynamic Planet B/C

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

ET2020 wrote:Can somewhat explain what the difference between altimetry and radar is? In section 3.n. the rules mention that we must know methods of studying glaciers: Altimetry, radar . . . but as far as I can tell radar is a type of altimetry. Does altimetry refer specifically to laser altimetry, while radar refers to radar altimetry? Did I misunderstand something?
An altimeter measures altitude. Radar can be used for altimetry while it can also be used to study the interior of glaciers, measure thickness of ice, etc.
AWildMudkip
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AWildMudkip »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
ET2020 wrote:Can somewhat explain what the difference between altimetry and radar is? In section 3.n. the rules mention that we must know methods of studying glaciers: Altimetry, radar . . . but as far as I can tell radar is a type of altimetry. Does altimetry refer specifically to laser altimetry, while radar refers to radar altimetry? Did I misunderstand something?
An altimeter measures altitude. Radar can be used for altimetry while it can also be used to study the interior of glaciers, measure thickness of ice, etc.
Agreed^ Here's a great source to see different types of altimetry and different radar instruments in action: https://visibleearth.nasa.gov/
William P. Clements High School Class of 2018

Earth Science Director of Princeton University SO (2019)
PUSO Director (2020)
[email protected]
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

Can anyone explain the differences between a finger lake and a ribbon lake? I have seen both terms refer to what appears to be the same thing, so I feel like there is something I am missing, but I haven't been able to find any definitive information.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
home2mars
Coach
Coach

Post by home2mars »

Deleted ---- I do not know how to delete a post properly
Last edited by home2mars on February 17th, 2019, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
home2mars
Coach
Coach

Post by home2mars »

WangwithaTang wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: The rules are most likely different.
Okay, thanks. Like, do you need to know what rogen moraines and H,N, and R channels?
I would learn about them
Is this advice for Div C only or Div B as well?
home2mars
Coach
Coach

Post by home2mars »

pb5754[] wrote: Invitationals continue up until around March, so there are still several left. If you are looking for tests, you can probably check the Scioly Test Exchange, try publicly released invitational tests (such as MIT (should be released soon I think) or UT Austin), or ask your captains if they have traded/received any tests.
On the Scioly Test Exchange, is there anyway to bulk download them? Kinda a pain to have to click dozens of links like that. Thx
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

home2mars wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote: Okay, thanks. Like, do you need to know what rogen moraines and H,N, and R channels?
I would learn about them
You should learn as much as you can for either division as long as it's within the scope of the rules :)
home2mars
Coach
Coach

Post by home2mars »

home2mars wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: I would learn about them
You should learn as much as you can for either division as long as it's within the scope of the rules :)
Well, that is the question. Neither 'rogen moraines' and 'h, n, and r channels' are mentioned in the Div B Rules.
They are not mentioned in Div C Rules either, but since "other" moraines are mentioned, maybe div C is usually expansion of the standard rules. I am coaching Div B.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

home2mars wrote:
home2mars wrote:
Well, that is the question. Neither 'rogen moraines' and 'h, n, and r channels' are mentioned in the Div B Rules.
They are not mentioned in Div C Rules either, but since "other" moraines are mentioned, maybe div C is usually expansion of the standard rules. I am coaching Div B.
Since neither are explicitly mentioned, your students shouldn't spend a lot of time learning about them, but be aware event supervisors occasionally branch out from what's explicitly listed on the rules in their tests. For example, h, n, and r channels could fall loosely under glacial hydrology
OrigamiPlanet
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

home2mars wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: You should learn as much as you can for either division as long as it's within the scope of the rules :)
Since neither are explicitly mentioned, your students shouldn't spend a lot of time learning about them, but be aware event supervisors occasionally branch out from what's explicitly listed on the rules in their tests. For example, h, n, and r channels could fall loosely under glacial hydrology
Like what UTF said, I think it’s good to have the knowledge, but as far as notes, if it isn’t in the sheet or very closely related, it’s just better to learn the idea, because chances are it may pop up again when doing a test with it. Anything goes, and this is a common axiom with every scioly test and lab event.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle

Return to “2019 Study Events”