Dynamic Planet B/C

Justin72835
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Justin72835 »

TheThunder wrote:Ok! Hi!
So, I am in division B, and the theme for this year is glaciers.
Any advice on Dynamic Planet?
What years in the past have had the theme of glaciers?

Thanks!
-Thunder
Adi1008 wrote:Dynamic Planet B/C: Students will use process skills to complete tasks related to glaciers, glaciation and long-term climate change.

Dynamic Planet Wiki

Dynamic Planet Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2013 (Glaciers), 2014 (Glaciers), 2015 (Oceanography), 2016 (Oceanography), 2017 (Tectonics), 2018 (Tectonics)

Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 2018
The first post of this thread is a very good place to start if you're just beginning. Good luck!
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

University of Texas at Austin '23
Seven Lakes High School '19
SciolyHarsh
Been thanked: 0

Post by SciolyHarsh »

Hey guys, so I'm stuck on a question for a practice test, and I don't understand why the answer is wrong.

What do ice cores preserve that allow us to understand more about past climates?

a) They show the granular composition of the snow at the time, which shows the terrestrial elements most prevalent during that period
b) They capture debris that reflects the sedimentary elements on the surface at the time
c) They capture atmospheric air when they are formed, reflecting the air quality at the time
d) Their radioactivity makes it easy to capture information on the history of the ice core.

My answer was c, but the correct answer is d. Could you guys explain why?
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

SciolyHarsh wrote:Hey guys, so I'm stuck on a question for a practice test, and I don't understand why the answer is wrong.

What do ice cores preserve that allow us to understand more about past climates?

a) They show the granular composition of the snow at the time, which shows the terrestrial elements most prevalent during that period
b) They capture debris that reflects the sedimentary elements on the surface at the time
c) They capture atmospheric air when they are formed, reflecting the air quality at the time
d) Their radioactivity makes it easy to capture information on the history of the ice core.

I don't do glaciers, but I really doubt it's d. The key is probably mistaken.
OrigamiPlanet
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

SciolyHarsh wrote:Hey guys, so I'm stuck on a question for a practice test, and I don't understand why the answer is wrong.

They definitely have atmospheric air of that time period, but what we are truly focusing on is I believe the O-18 to O-16 ratios. Since O-18 is an unstable isotope (the neutron:proton ratio is greater than 1, so it is unstable and thus radioactive for a quick explanation), it does undergo decay over a period of time, and that's why it would say that it is radioactivity. Over time the O-18 will experience numerous half-lives, and we essentially use the half-life data to calculate the age and history of the ice core. We aren't really looking into the composition of air directly, we look more for just those specific oxygen isotopes to understand this. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that's why it is d).
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
OrigamiPlanet
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

So my partner and I are both stuck on one of the topics that is going to be addressed for part j. with the sedimentary sequences. What exactly are we looking for and then what does it mean when the sediments are involved in place on land and on sea?
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:So my partner and I are both stuck on one of the topics that is going to be addressed for part j. with the sedimentary sequences. What exactly are we looking for and then what does it mean when the sediments are involved in place on land and on sea?
So I searched up the phrase and this is what I got:
"Sedimentary sequences are layers of rock which are derived from weathered rocks, biogenic (= of living organisms) activity, or precipitation from solution."
I believe this refers to depositional sediment and layers of them, but I'm not sure about this.
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
goodgra1

Post by goodgra1 »

What kind of calculations do we have to do? Like what kind of math should we know for DP?
l0lit
State: FL

Post by l0lit »

goodgra1 wrote:What kind of calculations do we have to do? Like what kind of math should we know for DP?
The main question I've seen in tests is isostasy, which well covered in last year's dynamic. You would most likely be doing an Airy model, which is fairly simple. More about it here. Just set the before/after scenarios equal and solve.

Another one is mass balance, but that it simple. It is just net gain = mass accumulated - mass ablated.
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written
goodgra1

Post by goodgra1 »

Thanks
PikaPikaChu
State: KS

Post by PikaPikaChu »

goodgra1 wrote:What kind of calculations do we have to do? Like what kind of math should we know for DP?
I'll be honest, I've seldom seen any math come up at all on DP tests. The most was probably 1-2 questions about isostasy. Honestly, I wouldn't waste your time going too in depth in your notes about equations (my partner and I made that mistake last year). Just know your vocab and you should be good! (:
PikaPikaChu's Userpage
Blue Valley North High School Wiki
Follow us on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/bvnscioly/
2019 State Events: WIDI (7), Geomaps (1), Mopple (4), Dynamic Planet (1), 4n6 (1)
2019 Nats: Dynamic Planet (6)

Return to “2019 Study Events”