Dynamic Planet B/C

SciolyHarsh
State: -

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby SciolyHarsh » February 5th, 2019, 4:20 pm

So I'm at a dilemma for this event. Using the resources I have, I can sweep through most tests I've taken, but if it comes to something like the MIT test, I can't do much. What are some good resources for the application based questions in Dynamic Planet?
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 5th, 2019, 5:43 pm

So I'm at a dilemma for this event. Using the resources I have, I can sweep through most tests I've taken, but if it comes to something like the MIT test, I can't do much. What are some good resources for the application based questions in Dynamic Planet?
Can you give an example? Probably the only thing you can study for there is having a thorough understanding of the topics the questions cover.

SciolyHarsh

Postby SciolyHarsh » February 5th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Can you give an example? Probably the only thing you can study for there is having a thorough understanding of the topics the questions cover.
Using Clapeyron’s equation as guidance and assuming the enthalpy of fusion is similar for all types
of ice, which of the ice types is the most dense ice? Explain your reasoning.
(5 points)
Something like this would confuse me. How would I do this without explicitly knowing which ice type is the most dense?
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 5th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Using Clapeyron’s equation as guidance and assuming the enthalpy of fusion is similar for all types
of ice, which of the ice types is the most dense ice? Explain your reasoning.
(5 points)
Something like this would confuse me. How would I do this without explicitly knowing which ice type is the most dense?
This is a really random question that has more to do with Thermodynamics honestly

Clapeyron's equation states that the steepness (derivative) of the melting curve on a pressure-temperature graph is directly proportional to the density of ice. Using a phase diagram (?), I think you could locate the densest piece of ice

SciolyHarsh

Postby SciolyHarsh » February 5th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Ohh ok. That actually makes sense. Thanks for the help.

WangwithaTang

Postby WangwithaTang » February 5th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Do we need to study glaciologists in this event? If so, which ones?

WangwithaTang

Postby WangwithaTang » February 5th, 2019, 10:01 pm

Also, where did you find the MIT invitational test?

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » February 6th, 2019, 5:04 am

Also, where did you find the MIT invitational test?
Posted on scioly.mit.edu
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

gaun22
Division: B
State: NY

Postby gaun22 » February 6th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Would anyone want to share tests for Dynamic Planet Divison B?
Bay Academy- 2017-19
2017-2018: Meteorology, Battery Buggy, Rollercoaster, Hovercraft
2019-2019: Meteorology, Dynamic Planet, Solar System

*insert inspirational quote

WangwithaTang

Postby WangwithaTang » February 6th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Would anyone want to share tests for Dynamic Planet Divison B?
There is already a University of Florida test for divisions B/C on the text exchange and some other B/C full sets on the archive. By the way, do we need to study certain glaciologists for this event? If so, which ones?

Return to “2019 Study Events”