Dynamic Planet B/C

Nibb
Division: B
State: MI

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby Nibb » March 18th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Raphael wrote:What Might be a good way to make my cheat sheet?
What might want to include?
Please help!

Put a bunch of a diagrams which are frequently on tests. On one test there was the exact diagram on the cheat sheet.

raytay
State: TN

Postby raytay » March 22nd, 2019, 10:03 am

So..I moved from Water Quality to Dynamic Problem and states are literally in 2 weeks!
What would be the best way to study?
My partner has been on DP since the beginning but I don't want her to be the only one who knows what they're doing.
Tom Howwand is an uwu baby
yaaaaa yeeeeeeet
uwu uwu uwu
I wuv my fandoms

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 22nd, 2019, 11:42 am

raytay wrote:So..I moved from Water Quality to Dynamic Problem and states are literally in 2 weeks!
My partner has been on DP since the beginning but I don't want her to be the only one who knows what they're doing.

Look over all the points in the rules. Be able to identify parts of a glacier, types of glaciers, glacier depositions and erosional features, etc.

raytay
State: TN

Postby raytay » March 22nd, 2019, 2:22 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
raytay wrote:So..I moved from Water Quality to Dynamic Problem and states are literally in 2 weeks!

Look over all the points in the rules. Be able to identify parts of a glacier, types of glaciers, glacier depositions and erosional features, etc.

Thanks!
Tom Howwand is an uwu baby
yaaaaa yeeeeeeet
uwu uwu uwu
I wuv my fandoms

BennyTheJett
State: WI

Postby BennyTheJett » March 22nd, 2019, 6:12 pm

raytay wrote:

Thanks!

Make sure you have all the things on the rule sheets covered. Know equations (Isostasy etc.). Make quizlet sets for vocabulary. Given the short time put pictures in the notes (at least that's what my lazy-esque self would do).
Menomonie Science Olympiad
2019 Events
DyPlan 8-) , Geomaps :D , Fossils :| , Herpetology :evil:

BennyTheJett's Userpage

WangwithaTang

Postby WangwithaTang » March 24th, 2019, 10:10 am

BennyTheJett wrote:
raytay wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Look over all the points in the rules. Be able to identify parts of a glacier, types of glaciers, glacier depositions and erosional features, etc.

Thanks!

Make sure you have all the things on the rule sheets covered. Know equations (Isostasy etc.). Make quizlet sets for vocabulary. Given the short time put pictures in the notes (at least that's what my lazy-esque self would do).

Wait, what's the equation for isostacsy?

BennyTheJett

Postby BennyTheJett » March 24th, 2019, 10:13 am

WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
raytay wrote:Thanks!

The way I do it is:

d*t=d*t

D= Density of crust
T= Thickness of crust

If they are equal there is isostatic equilibrium. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, I suck at glaciers.
2019 Events

BennyTheJett's Userpage

BennyTheJett

Postby BennyTheJett » March 24th, 2019, 10:15 am

BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:

The way I do it is:

d*t=d*t

D= Density of crust
T= Thickness of crust

If they are equal there is isostatic equilibrium. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, I suck at glaciers.

This will better explain it
2019 Events

BennyTheJett's Userpage

WangwithaTang

Postby WangwithaTang » March 24th, 2019, 10:47 am

BennyTheJett wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:Wait, what's the equation for isostacsy?

The way I do it is:

d*t=d*t

D= Density of crust
T= Thickness of crust

Wait, so what's the equation? Like for the image. Because d*t = d*t are like the same thing

BennyTheJett

Postby BennyTheJett » March 24th, 2019, 1:03 pm

WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
The way I do it is:

d*t=d*t

D= Density of crust
T= Thickness of crust

Wait, so what's the equation? Like for the image. Because d*t = d*t are like the same thing

Density times thickness equals density times thickness. That's why different topographies can be equal in weight. The image is more detailed. you take the density times thickness of the crust, and it equals the density times thickness of this other crust. If they are equal there is equilibrium. If unequal, there is depression or rebound.
2019 Events

BennyTheJett's Userpage

WangwithaTang

Postby WangwithaTang » March 24th, 2019, 7:58 pm

BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:

Density times thickness equals density times thickness. That's why different topographies can be equal in weight. The image is more detailed. you take the density times thickness of the crust, and it equals the density times thickness of this other crust. If they are equal there is equilibrium. If unequal, there is depression or rebound.

Ok, so how do you solve the problem posed by this image?

BennyTheJett

Postby BennyTheJett » March 25th, 2019, 4:37 am

WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:Wait, so what's the equation? Like for the image. Because d*t = d*t are like the same thing

All the yellow (crust) must have an equal density times thickness for there to be isostatic equilibrium. If the numbers aren't equal the smaller number is sinking (I think).
2019 Events

BennyTheJett's Userpage

Sharan.thiru

Postby Sharan.thiru » March 25th, 2019, 12:37 pm

WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:Wait, so what's the equation? Like for the image. Because d*t = d*t are like the same thing

You do realize that most of the math on the test is about glacial movement, erosion, and mass balance right. THere's not much you can do with isostasy when it comes to glaciers.
Eagle View Middle School
2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Meteorology, Solar System
Total Medal Count:
Invitational-8
Regionals:6
States:2
Competitions: Rustin/Garnet Valley/Eagle/Regionals
Crimebusters:42/6/8/8
DP:27/16/1/2
Meteorology:26/10/3/1
Solar System:28/22/1/2

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 25th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Sharan.thiru wrote:THere's not much you can do with isostasy when it comes to glaciers.

This is false, the melting and formation of large glaciers cause the Earth's lithosphere to rebound and move down, respectively.

pb5754[]
State: NJ

Postby pb5754[] » March 25th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Sharan.thiru wrote:THere's not much you can do with isostasy when it comes to glaciers.

This is false, the melting and formation of large glaciers cause the Earth's lithosphere to rebound and move down, respectively.

Yep, I've seen isostasy questions at almost every competition I've gone to.

Return to “Study Events”