Dynamic Planet B/C

Nibb
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: March 18th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Division: B
State: MI

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby Nibb » March 18th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Raphael wrote:What Might be a good way to make my cheat sheet?
What might want to include?
Please help!

Put a bunch of a diagrams which are frequently on tests. On one test there was the exact diagram on the cheat sheet.

raytay
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: October 20th, 2017, 9:52 am
Division: B
State: TN
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby raytay » March 22nd, 2019, 10:03 am

So..I moved from Water Quality to Dynamic Problem and states are literally in 2 weeks!
What would be the best way to study?
My partner has been on DP since the beginning but I don't want her to be the only one who knows what they're doing.
Tom Howwand is an uwu baby
yaaaaa yeeeeeeet
uwu uwu uwu
I wuv my fandoms

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1424
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 22nd, 2019, 11:42 am

raytay wrote:So..I moved from Water Quality to Dynamic Problem and states are literally in 2 weeks!
What would be the best way to study?
My partner has been on DP since the beginning but I don't want her to be the only one who knows what they're doing.

Look over all the points in the rules. Be able to identify parts of a glacier, types of glaciers, glacier depositions and erosional features, etc.

raytay
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: October 20th, 2017, 9:52 am
Division: B
State: TN
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby raytay » March 22nd, 2019, 2:22 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
raytay wrote:So..I moved from Water Quality to Dynamic Problem and states are literally in 2 weeks!
What would be the best way to study?
My partner has been on DP since the beginning but I don't want her to be the only one who knows what they're doing.

Look over all the points in the rules. Be able to identify parts of a glacier, types of glaciers, glacier depositions and erosional features, etc.

Thanks!
Tom Howwand is an uwu baby
yaaaaa yeeeeeeet
uwu uwu uwu
I wuv my fandoms

User avatar
BennyTheJett
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: February 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
Division: C
State: WI

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby BennyTheJett » March 22nd, 2019, 6:12 pm

raytay wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
raytay wrote:So..I moved from Water Quality to Dynamic Problem and states are literally in 2 weeks!
What would be the best way to study?
My partner has been on DP since the beginning but I don't want her to be the only one who knows what they're doing.

Look over all the points in the rules. Be able to identify parts of a glacier, types of glaciers, glacier depositions and erosional features, etc.

Thanks!


Make sure you have all the things on the rule sheets covered. Know equations (Isostasy etc.). Make quizlet sets for vocabulary. Given the short time put pictures in the notes (at least that's what my lazy-esque self would do).
Menomonie Science Olympiad
2019 Events
DyPlan 8-) , Geomaps :D , Fossils :| , Herpetology :evil:

BennyTheJett's Userpage

WangwithaTang
Member
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: January 3rd, 2019, 8:48 pm

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby WangwithaTang » March 24th, 2019, 10:10 am

BennyTheJett wrote:
raytay wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Look over all the points in the rules. Be able to identify parts of a glacier, types of glaciers, glacier depositions and erosional features, etc.

Thanks!


Make sure you have all the things on the rule sheets covered. Know equations (Isostasy etc.). Make quizlet sets for vocabulary. Given the short time put pictures in the notes (at least that's what my lazy-esque self would do).

Wait, what's the equation for isostacsy?

User avatar
BennyTheJett
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: February 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
Division: C
State: WI

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby BennyTheJett » March 24th, 2019, 10:13 am

WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
raytay wrote:Thanks!


Make sure you have all the things on the rule sheets covered. Know equations (Isostasy etc.). Make quizlet sets for vocabulary. Given the short time put pictures in the notes (at least that's what my lazy-esque self would do).

Wait, what's the equation for isostacsy?


The way I do it is:

d*t=d*t

D= Density of crust
T= Thickness of crust

If they are equal there is isostatic equilibrium. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, I suck at glaciers.
Menomonie Science Olympiad
2019 Events
DyPlan 8-) , Geomaps :D , Fossils :| , Herpetology :evil:

BennyTheJett's Userpage

User avatar
BennyTheJett
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: February 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
Division: C
State: WI

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby BennyTheJett » March 24th, 2019, 10:15 am

BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
Make sure you have all the things on the rule sheets covered. Know equations (Isostasy etc.). Make quizlet sets for vocabulary. Given the short time put pictures in the notes (at least that's what my lazy-esque self would do).

Wait, what's the equation for isostacsy?


The way I do it is:

d*t=d*t

D= Density of crust
T= Thickness of crust

If they are equal there is isostatic equilibrium. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, I suck at glaciers.


This will better explain it
Image
Menomonie Science Olympiad
2019 Events
DyPlan 8-) , Geomaps :D , Fossils :| , Herpetology :evil:

BennyTheJett's Userpage

WangwithaTang
Member
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: January 3rd, 2019, 8:48 pm

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby WangwithaTang » March 24th, 2019, 10:47 am

BennyTheJett wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:Wait, what's the equation for isostacsy?


The way I do it is:

d*t=d*t

D= Density of crust
T= Thickness of crust

If they are equal there is isostatic equilibrium. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, I suck at glaciers.


This will better explain it
Image

Wait, so what's the equation? Like for the image. Because d*t = d*t are like the same thing

User avatar
BennyTheJett
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: February 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
Division: C
State: WI

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby BennyTheJett » March 24th, 2019, 1:03 pm

WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
The way I do it is:

d*t=d*t

D= Density of crust
T= Thickness of crust

If they are equal there is isostatic equilibrium. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, I suck at glaciers.


This will better explain it
Image

Wait, so what's the equation? Like for the image. Because d*t = d*t are like the same thing


Density times thickness equals density times thickness. That's why different topographies can be equal in weight. The image is more detailed. you take the density times thickness of the crust, and it equals the density times thickness of this other crust. If they are equal there is equilibrium. If unequal, there is depression or rebound.
Menomonie Science Olympiad
2019 Events
DyPlan 8-) , Geomaps :D , Fossils :| , Herpetology :evil:

BennyTheJett's Userpage

WangwithaTang
Member
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: January 3rd, 2019, 8:48 pm

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby WangwithaTang » March 24th, 2019, 7:58 pm

BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
This will better explain it
Image

Wait, so what's the equation? Like for the image. Because d*t = d*t are like the same thing


Density times thickness equals density times thickness. That's why different topographies can be equal in weight. The image is more detailed. you take the density times thickness of the crust, and it equals the density times thickness of this other crust. If they are equal there is equilibrium. If unequal, there is depression or rebound.

Ok, so how do you solve the problem posed by this image?

User avatar
BennyTheJett
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: February 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
Division: C
State: WI

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby BennyTheJett » March 25th, 2019, 4:37 am

WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:Wait, so what's the equation? Like for the image. Because d*t = d*t are like the same thing


Density times thickness equals density times thickness. That's why different topographies can be equal in weight. The image is more detailed. you take the density times thickness of the crust, and it equals the density times thickness of this other crust. If they are equal there is equilibrium. If unequal, there is depression or rebound.

Ok, so how do you solve the problem posed by this image?

All the yellow (crust) must have an equal density times thickness for there to be isostatic equilibrium. If the numbers aren't equal the smaller number is sinking (I think).
Menomonie Science Olympiad
2019 Events
DyPlan 8-) , Geomaps :D , Fossils :| , Herpetology :evil:

BennyTheJett's Userpage

Sharan.thiru
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: March 3rd, 2019, 5:38 pm
Division: B
State: PA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby Sharan.thiru » March 25th, 2019, 12:37 pm

WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:Wait, so what's the equation? Like for the image. Because d*t = d*t are like the same thing


Density times thickness equals density times thickness. That's why different topographies can be equal in weight. The image is more detailed. you take the density times thickness of the crust, and it equals the density times thickness of this other crust. If they are equal there is equilibrium. If unequal, there is depression or rebound.

Ok, so how do you solve the problem posed by this image?

You do realize that most of the math on the test is about glacial movement, erosion, and mass balance right. THere's not much you can do with isostasy when it comes to glaciers.
Eagle View Middle School
2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Meteorology, Solar System
Total Medal Count:
Invitational-8
Regionals:6
States:2
Competitions: Rustin/Garnet Valley/Eagle/Regionals
Crimebusters:42/6/8/8
DP:27/16/1/2
Meteorology:26/10/3/1
Solar System:28/22/1/2

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1424
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 25th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Sharan.thiru wrote:THere's not much you can do with isostasy when it comes to glaciers.

This is false, the melting and formation of large glaciers cause the Earth's lithosphere to rebound and move down, respectively.

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 342
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby pb5754[] » March 25th, 2019, 4:46 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Sharan.thiru wrote:THere's not much you can do with isostasy when it comes to glaciers.

This is false, the melting and formation of large glaciers cause the Earth's lithosphere to rebound and move down, respectively.

Yep, I've seen isostasy questions at almost every competition I've gone to.


Return to “Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests