Road Scholar B

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: TX

Road Scholar B

Postby Adi1008 » August 4th, 2018, 11:23 pm

Road Scholar B: Participants will answer interpretive questions that may use one or more state highway maps, USGS topographic maps, Internet-generated maps, a road atlas or satellite/aerial images.

Road Scholar Wiki

Road Scholar Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Past Question Marathons: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MO

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby dxu46 » September 4th, 2018, 7:18 am

RIP, now we have to bring colored pencils/markers for the Map Drawing, and we can bring a box of materials. Also, we can't have calculators that are graphing or programmable.
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby dxu46 » September 9th, 2018, 8:38 pm

@anyone who went to nats last year and did road

What were the satellite map questions like? Did they closely follow the rules, and what were the actual maps like?
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar

Friend me here!

ferociousbus493
State: -

Postby ferociousbus493 » October 8th, 2018, 11:29 am

dxu46 wrote:@anyone who went to nats last year and did road

What were the satellite map questions like? Did they closely follow the rules, and what were the actual maps like?

I was at the nationals for road scholar, my partner is at a new school so I am answering this on my own... If memory serves right it was mostly road maps and a few topographic maps. I don't think there were any satellite maps. I may not have seen them because I did not have time to finish the whole thing, and my partner was doing a lot of the multiple choice questions while I was doing the topographic map profiling and stream gradient. I will try to contact my partner and get back to you.

ferociousbus493

Postby ferociousbus493 » October 15th, 2018, 11:29 am

welp, this done died :cry: :cry: :cry:

seffnelsus
State: CO

Postby seffnelsus » October 15th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Is there a fun way to study for Road Scholar? I may or may not have been placed in the event and I'm not sure where to start studying.
2019 Events: Herpetology, Road Scholar, Elastic Launched Glider, Experimental Design :D
2018 Events: Herpetology, Thermodynamics, Ecology, Crime Busters ;)

OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA

Postby OrigamiPlanet » October 22nd, 2018, 1:29 pm

seffnelsus wrote:Is there a fun way to study for Road Scholar? I may or may not have been placed in the event and I'm not sure where to start studying.

The best way I can assume would be a fun way to study, is to simply while you're out on the road try to follow yourself on a paper map. I understand this is very farfetched since you might get carsick while reading like I do or maybe just holding a large map, in particularly of your area, isn't the most common thing. However, this would be a good way to just simulate yourself and be able to read a map.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Main Events For 2019
Exp. D.; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet; Astronomy;

WIP Specialties (No previous background whatsoever)
Geologic Mapping; Chem Lab

Email me for anything!

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby dxu46 » October 22nd, 2018, 5:16 pm

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
seffnelsus wrote:Is there a fun way to study for Road Scholar? I may or may not have been placed in the event and I'm not sure where to start studying.

The best way I can assume would be a fun way to study, is to simply while you're out on the road try to follow yourself on a paper map. I understand this is very farfetched since you might get carsick while reading like I do or maybe just holding a large map, in particularly of your area, isn't the most common thing. However, this would be a good way to just simulate yourself and be able to read a map.

Study by doing tests. IIRC there's this one set that has explanations as it goes (I think it centers around the Engelwood CO quad?) and it has multiple lessons with practice problems under it. Looking out of the window is good, try to picture a map in your head and estimate how far you're traveling.
Ladue Science Olympiad!

Friend me here!

Anomaly

Postby Anomaly » October 22nd, 2018, 5:21 pm

dxu46 wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:

Study by doing tests. IIRC there's this one set that has explanations as it goes (I think it centers around the Engelwood CO quad?) and it has multiple lessons with practice problems under it. Looking out of the window is good, try to picture a map in your head and estimate how far you're traveling.

The Englewood CO quad is in the Coaches Handbook, which is really helpful in learning most of the concepts for Road Scholar
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018 (Student Coach 2019), Parkland HS SO 2019
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 24
Regional: 14
State: 5
Events:
Anatomy and Physiology, Disease Detectives, Codebusters, Write It Do It

#livingalifeofdepression

JardonMaroon

Postby JardonMaroon » October 23rd, 2018, 3:23 pm

A good way for finding objects is to play I Spy or come up with simple distance questions. Playing I Spy helped me especially last year as we were looking at a city map with mountains on the side, which made it difficult to read ad see things, but we made it through.

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby dxu46 » October 29th, 2018, 2:33 pm

dxu46 wrote:

Also, a good way to study is by making tests and then doing them. It's fun because you want your competitors to have a hard time, but since you'll be doing the test, it's kind of a win-lose situation.
Ladue Science Olympiad!

Friend me here!

james4340

Postby james4340 » November 1st, 2018, 1:48 pm

Does anyone know if you can bring an atlas into the competition?

Anomaly

Postby Anomaly » November 1st, 2018, 2:03 pm

james4340 wrote:Does anyone know if you can bring an atlas into the competition?

I think you can pretty much bring whatever you want into the competition as long as it can go in the three rings of the binder with all of your reference material in it.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018 (Student Coach 2019), Parkland HS SO 2019
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 24
Regional: 14
State: 5
Events:
Anatomy and Physiology, Disease Detectives, Codebusters, Write It Do It

#livingalifeofdepression

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby dxu46 » November 1st, 2018, 2:26 pm

james4340 wrote:Does anyone know if you can bring an atlas into the competition?

Can but probably shouldn't, as they are of no use and they just take time away from test taking.
Ladue Science Olympiad!

Friend me here!

Anapolis
Division: Grad
State: IL

Postby Anapolis » November 4th, 2018, 7:36 pm

dxu46 wrote:@anyone who went to nats last year and did road

I dont think there were any satellite questions but ngl i have short term memory loss.... i remember it being a pretty standard test, kind of easy tho (dont know if i can say that)
2017 events
(nats)
crime 5
road 19 (oof)

2018 events
(state/nats)
fast facts 2/11
rocks 2/6
road 7/6
crime 2/3
widi 2/6
wright stuff (lol only did invies)

2019 events
jk im not doing scioly in hs but im still active bc i have no life and ive been involved with it for 6 years

Return to “Study Events”