Solar System B

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: TX

Solar System B

Postby Adi1008 » August 4th, 2018, 11:26 pm

Solar System B: Students will demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of the geologic characteristics and evolution of the Earth's moon and other rocky bodies of the solar system.

Solar System Wiki

Solar System Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014 (Solar System Ices), 2015 (Solar System Ices), 2018 (Terrestrial Bodies)

Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2015, 2018
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

ferociousbus493
State: -

Re: Solar System B

Postby ferociousbus493 » September 28th, 2018, 11:27 am

Hey, I am new to solar system, and I am wondering if anybody has any leads on were to get my information... Specific sources and stuff. The best I have been finding is sources from NASA.

Killboe
Division: B
State: FL

Postby Killboe » September 28th, 2018, 11:33 am

2019 River City Science Academy
2019 Events

Awards
2019 Results
OSS/Dodgen/OSS/R/S/N
Disease Detectives : 4/9/_/_/_/_
Solar System : 7/5/_/_/_/_
Thermodynamics : 5/6/_/_/_/_

Disease Detectives
Solar System
Thermodynamics

Total Awards: 6

OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA

Postby OrigamiPlanet » September 28th, 2018, 1:04 pm

ferociousbus493 wrote:Hey, I am new to solar system, and I am wondering if anybody has any leads on were to get my information... Specific sources and stuff. The best I have been finding is sources from NASA.

I've used "Astronomy Today" as an undergrad textbook. It is really useful for getting a baseline, but make sure you pick the "Solar System" one! NASA is also a good resource too; for math you should look for YouTube videos for each individual calculation.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Main Events For 2019
Exp. D.; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet; Astronomy;

WIP Specialties (No previous background whatsoever)
Geologic Mapping; Chem Lab

Email me for anything!

ferociousbus493

Postby ferociousbus493 » October 5th, 2018, 11:39 am

Thanks everybody for the info... I also have another question, I was reading the solar system paper that describes all the different things you need to learn and I saw that said something like hands on activities... What does that mean!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » October 5th, 2018, 11:46 am

ferociousbus493 wrote:Thanks everybody for the info... I also have another question, I was reading the solar system paper that describes all the different things you need to learn and I saw that said something like hands on activities... What does that mean!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

As it relates to Solar System, I'd say it's just being used as a fancier term for application-based questions. There should be a section in the rules about them.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » October 5th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Unome wrote:
ferociousbus493 wrote:Thanks everybody for the info... I also have another question, I was reading the solar system paper that describes all the different things you need to learn and I saw that said something like hands on activities... What does that mean!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

As it relates to Solar System, I'd say it's just being used as a fancier term for application-based questions. There should be a section in the rules about them.

An example would be labeling the parts of an eclipse, or labeling the lunar maria. It isn't really "hands one" per se, but like Unome said, you apply what you've learned from the knowledge part.
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

ferociousbus493

Postby ferociousbus493 » October 8th, 2018, 11:20 am

Thanks everybody! :)

Postby 2013210 » October 15th, 2018, 12:48 pm

What are kiplers laws of planetary mosen and where can I find the info?

During a solar eclipse can the moon be different colors other than red?

How many dorfe planets in our solar stum have names?
Last edited by EastStroudsburg13 on October 16th, 2018, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Combining posts; do not triple post in event threads

Postby 2067598 » October 15th, 2018, 1:05 pm

2013210 wrote:How many dorfe planets in our solar stum have names?

there are 5 dwarf planets

2067598 wrote:

there are 5 dwarf planets

all of them

2013210 wrote:During a solar eclipse can the moon be different colors other than red?

No it is always going to be red

2013210 wrote:What are kiplers laws of planetary mosen and where can I find the info?

search Kepler's laws

ferociousbus493 wrote:Hey, I am new to solar system, and I am wondering if anybody has any leads on were to get my information... Specific sources and stuff. The best I have been finding is sources from NASA.

look up space.com and you will find what you need

All of them And you spelled dwarf wrong

2067598 wrote:
2013210 wrote:What are kiplers laws of planetary mosen and where can I find the info?

search Kepler's laws

you spelled motion wrong
Last edited by EastStroudsburg13 on October 16th, 2018, 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seffnelsus
State: CO

Postby seffnelsus » October 16th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Kepler’s three laws of planetary motion can be stated as follows: (1) All planets move about the Sun in elliptical orbits, having the Sun as one of the foci. (2) A radius vector joining any planet to the Sun sweeps out equal areas in equal lengths of time. (3) The squares of the sidereal periods (of revolution) of the planets are directly proportional to the cubes of their mean distances from the Sun.

I do recommend looking further on online resources, or even books of some sort, as I don't actually study the Solar System myself.
2019 Events: Herpetology, Road Scholar, Elastic Launched Glider, Experimental Design :D
2018 Events: Herpetology, Thermodynamics, Ecology, Crime Busters ;)

debban

Postby debban » October 16th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Hi All,

I am very new to Science Olympiad. At first I assumed from the name "Solar System" that the whole solar system needs to be studied. But as I read more about it, doesn't look like the case. So, can anyone confirm that the focus this year are the moons and other rocky bodies only? Also, by other rocky bodies they mean only the dwarf plantes, and other specific small bodies listed in the rulebook?

Thanks

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » October 16th, 2018, 9:01 pm

debban wrote:Hi All,

I am very new to Science Olympiad. At first I assumed from the name "Solar System" that the whole solar system needs to be studied. But as I read more about it, doesn't look like the case. So, can anyone confirm that the focus this year are the moons and other rocky bodies only? Also, by other rocky bodies they mean only the dwarf plantes, and other specific small bodies listed in the rulebook?

Thanks

Yes, the rules manual should be your primary source for figuring out what the event is about. You should only be responsible for the bodies listed under 3.b.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Raphael

Postby Raphael » October 17th, 2018, 5:05 am

How Much Might we want to know about Trojan asteroids and the other asteroids in the Asteroid Belt? :?

OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA

Postby OrigamiPlanet » October 18th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Raphael wrote:How Much Might we want to know about Trojan asteroids and the other asteroids in the Asteroid Belt? :?

Definitely look for all the major asteroids first, and put a good deal of information about it compared to the more minor asteroids. Dedicate a modest amount at least, but don't go over the top.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Main Events For 2019
Exp. D.; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet; Astronomy;

WIP Specialties (No previous background whatsoever)
Geologic Mapping; Chem Lab

Email me for anything!

Return to “Study Events”