Solar System B

AwersomeUser
Division: B
State: -

Re: Solar System B

Postby AwersomeUser » January 9th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Oh ok thanks. Do I need to know stuff like how bigor long a feature is?

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: TX

Postby Adi1008 » January 9th, 2019, 6:51 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:Oh ok thanks. Do I need to know stuff like how bigor long a feature is?

Having a rough idea of the scale, what features are bigger/smaller than others, etc. can be useful. Generally, only focus on the size if that's what makes the feature significant. Most features are interesting for reasons other than their size; for instance, Ernutet Crater on Ceres is interesting to scientists because that's where Dawn discovered evidence of organic matter, but its size isn't very important. On the flip side, Herschel Crater on Mimas is the biggest surface feature on that object by far and provides a lot of clues for the formation and evolution (especially the temperature distribution) of the object, so it would be important to know and understand the significance of its size.
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

jleremy

Postby jleremy » January 10th, 2019, 2:57 pm

in the rule sheet it says surface feature, can it be atmosphere and temperature?
i know it means features such as craters, mountains.....

AwersomeUser

Postby AwersomeUser » January 11th, 2019, 7:50 pm

In part I, it clearly states that it’s geologic surface features. So I would assume they are only going to ask about geologic suface features.

Also, at viewtopic.php?f=297&t=12535&start=15, one of the questions on the marathon was about the sun’s corona... So is that person just asking extra stuff or I should study that too? I don’t recall that I have to study about the sun.

isotelus

Postby isotelus » January 11th, 2019, 8:15 pm

jleremy wrote:in the rule sheet it says surface feature, can it be atmosphere and temperature?

It could be any surface features. Geologic features are definitely something asked often, and atmospheric conditions are very important. I would also know temperature if I were you. The rules were left a little vague for interpretation, so anything you think counts as a surface feature should be fair game on a test.
AwersomeUser wrote:In part I, it clearly states that it’s geologic surface features. So I would assume they are only going to ask about geologic suface features.

Also, at viewtopic.php?f=297&t=12535&start=15, one of the questions on the marathon was about the sun’s corona... So is that person just asking extra stuff or I should study that too? I don’t recall that I have to study about the sun.

For your first statement, in part II atmospheric conditions is including among other things so it's not just the geologic features. For your second question, no, the sun shouldn't come up on a test. You don't need to study that, the question poster was just asking extra.
'19 Season: Fossils, ELG, Solar System
'19 Nationals: Parasitology (1st) and Sci Quiz Bowl (10th)

Killboe
State: FL

Postby Killboe » January 14th, 2019, 11:16 am

jleremy wrote:in the rule sheet it says surface feature, can it be atmosphere and temperature?

Personally, and I would strongly recommend, putting atmosphere make-ups in cheat sheets. I see them in almost every test I take. On the temperature side of things, I also include that in my cheat sheet, I have seen in a couple of times on tests. So yes, I would include both.

AwersomeUser wrote:In part I, it clearly states that it’s geologic surface features. So I would assume they are only going to ask about geologic suface features.

I haven't seen the Sun's corona on any tests, and it is not in the rules. So you shouldn't worry about that.
River City Science Academy

2019 Events

Disease Detectives
Solar System
Thermodynamics

My Wiki

AwersomeUser

Postby AwersomeUser » January 14th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Oh ok. One of the questions here viewtopic.php?f=297&t=12535 are about mars. Do I have to learn about Mars? (Just checking)

isotelus

Postby isotelus » January 15th, 2019, 6:29 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:Oh ok. One of the questions here viewtopic.php?f=297&t=12535 are about mars. Do I have to learn about Mars? (Just checking)

No, and in the same question they covered Venus which should not be on any tests either.

dntf88

Postby dntf88 » January 16th, 2019, 7:33 am

Has anyone purchase the CD/DVD that SO sells on its website? Is the material on that disk sufficient and relevant/updated for this year's specific areas to cover anything that will be tested?

AwersomeUser

Postby AwersomeUser » January 19th, 2019, 7:46 pm

dntf88 wrote:Has anyone purchase the CD/DVD that SO sells on its website? Is the material on that disk sufficient and relevant/updated for this year's specific areas to cover anything that will be tested?

I asked the same exact question a while ago but apparently no one here have brought one before. According to the website the CD is updated but I don't think it has all the information you will need as it is a CD for multiple events.

AwersomeUser

Postby AwersomeUser » January 20th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Do I have to know stuff like the things I underlinedin red above? (Who discovered it, when, story behind it, etc?)

Also, does every test have matching or they are different? (I know I asked his before but I am just confirming.)

isotelus

Postby isotelus » January 20th, 2019, 1:46 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:
Here's the pic:

Do I have to know stuff like the things I underlinedin red above? (Who discovered it, when, story behind it, etc?)

Also, does every test have matching or they are different? (I know I asked his before but I am just confirming.)

Yes, you do need to know history (at least the basics). Some tests will have matching, but not all tests will - it's just a method of asking questions.

AwersomeUser

Postby AwersomeUser » January 20th, 2019, 1:48 pm

isotelus wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:
Here's the pic:

Yes, you do need to know history (at least the basics). Some tests will have matching, but not all tests will - it's just a method of asking questions.

Not the history of the planet itself, but the history of discoverying it?

AwersomeUser

Postby AwersomeUser » January 20th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Also,

Do I need to know any of these? (I just want to make sure). Do I only need to know the tempuratures and albedo (maybe)? What else do you suggest me to know?

isotelus

Postby isotelus » January 20th, 2019, 8:18 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:
isotelus wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:
Here's the pic:

Not the history of the planet itself, but the history of discoverying it?

Both of those- the formation and evolution, and the discovery.

AwersomeUser wrote:Also,

Pics:

Do I need to know any of these? (I just want to make sure). Do I only need to know the tempuratures and albedo (maybe)? What else do you suggest me to know?

A lot of those seem important. I don't exactly know what could come up and could not, but what I would definitely try to have the following based off the list you gave me:
Aphelion, Perihelion, semi major axis, eccentricity, orbital period, inclination. average orbital speed (maybe?), mean radius, surface area, volume, mean density, surface gravity, escape velocity, axial tilt, albedo, surface temperature, apparent and absolute magnitude, surface pressure, and major components of it itself, it's atmosphere if it has one, and it's ring system if it has one.

Return to “Study Events”