Solar System B

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Solar System B

Post by Adi1008 »

Killboe wrote:But, I see things related to eclipses on almost all SS tests, so I would study up on that. You should learn about liberation, tides, and resonance, even though it doesn't really say it in the rules. Every now and then I see things such as "What was 2007 OR10 nicknamed", but not that often. That's why you need to take multiple invitational tests in order to become familiar on the questions that the REAL DEAL tests will ask.
I think you bring up a great point! Just to clarify, the rules do specifically mention Kepler's Laws, gravitational effects of the Moon and tides, eclipses, libration, etc. in Rules 3.a.iv and 3.a.v. On top of that, concepts like resonance tie in closely with gravitation/Kepler's Laws/asteroids/Trojans/Kuiper Belt, so I think it's very applicable as well.

As for questions like "Why was (225088) 2007 OR10 initially nicknamed Snow White?" - I'll admit that these are pretty trivia-based and even if you study pretty thoroughly, you may not know these off the top of your head. However, they can lead into much more scientific questions, like "Why did astronomers initially think (225088) 2007 OR10 would be white when they discovered it?" or "What does it mean for an object to be 'red'?" that I think are essential for differentiating top teams. As an event supervisor, I usually have a couple questions like this since they reward teams for studying details, lead to more in-depth science questions, and I think they're fun. However, I would never make them a huge part of the test and I hope other event supervisors wouldn't either.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
bp31000
Division: C
State: TN
Been thanked: 0

Post by bp31000 »

Adi1008 wrote: I think Solar System is a hard event to write a test for, especially when you don't have any experience in it. When I competed in Solar System, the first test I saw that wasn't very short/easy or off-topic was at Nationals, where the event supervisor, Dusty Schroeder, was pretty much an expert in this field.

If you're looking for tests, perhaps the UT Invitational test from earlier this year could be helpful (here are links to the exam and key). Additionally, I'm writing the Solar System test for the UT Regional this weekend - once it's over, I'll post it on the forums. I put a lot of time and effort into making the test challenging (while still on topic), so hopefully that can help too!
waiting for you to post the questions from your regionals in test exchange.. my regional is coming weekend, so wanted to practice with your tests!
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
Killboe
State: AR
Has thanked: 0

Post by Killboe »

bp31000 wrote:
Adi1008 wrote: (here are links to the exam and key)
waiting for you to post the questions from your regionals in test exchange.. my regional is coming weekend, so wanted to practice with your tests!
It's right there
bp31000

Post by bp31000 »

Killboe wrote:
bp31000 wrote:
Adi1008 wrote: (here are links to the exam and key)
It's right there
no, those are from UT invitational. he said he is writing the tests for their regionals for last weekend and will post them here, i am waiting for those.
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

bp31000 wrote:
Killboe wrote:
bp31000 wrote: waiting for you to post the questions from your regionals in test exchange.. my regional is coming weekend, so wanted to practice with your tests!
It's right there
no, those are from UT invitational. he said he is writing the tests for their regionals for last weekend and will post them here, i am waiting for those.
My bad, I mistakened regional for invitational.
Girlpower05
State: MI

Post by Girlpower05 »

bp31000 wrote:
Killboe wrote:
bp31000 wrote: waiting for you to post the questions from your regionals in test exchange.. my regional is coming weekend, so wanted to practice with your tests!
It's right there
Have you taken the Solar System test from the 2019 Cobra Invitational full set posted on this years test archives? Here is a link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... _DFG9kYekR
bp31000

Post by bp31000 »

Girlpower05 wrote:
bp31000 wrote:
Killboe wrote:
It's right there
Have you taken the Solar System test from the 2019 Cobra Invitational full set posted on this years test archives? Here is a link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... _DFG9kYekR
Just downloaded, Thanks!
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

bp31000 wrote:
Adi1008 wrote: I think Solar System is a hard event to write a test for, especially when you don't have any experience in it. When I competed in Solar System, the first test I saw that wasn't very short/easy or off-topic was at Nationals, where the event supervisor, Dusty Schroeder, was pretty much an expert in this field.

If you're looking for tests, perhaps the UT Invitational test from earlier this year could be helpful (here are links to the exam and key). Additionally, I'm writing the Solar System test for the UT Regional this weekend - once it's over, I'll post it on the forums. I put a lot of time and effort into making the test challenging (while still on topic), so hopefully that can help too!
I spoke with some of the higher-ups and unfortunately I'm not allowed to release the Solar System test (and statistics, like mean/median/stdev/etc) yet since other regionals in Texas might need to use it. I should have a better idea of when I'm able to release all of this soon (perhaps in a week). Sorry for the inconvenience! In the meantime, it looks like the Cobra test is on-topic and has some interesting image interpretation - certainly some good practice. Good luck at your regional this weekend!
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
fiddhantfen
Division: B
State: IL

Post by fiddhantfen »

Resources I've found to be helpful are wikipedia (obviously), the NASA image galleries, space.com image galleries, and soinc.org, keep an eye out for practice tests.
- Fiddhant Fen

Solar System 2019B, Disease Detectives 2019B, Fossils 2019B, and Roller Coaster 2019B. :geek: :D

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."

-Winston Churchill
bp31000

Post by bp31000 »

Adi1008 wrote: I spoke with some of the higher-ups and unfortunately I'm not allowed to release the Solar System test (and statistics, like mean/median/stdev/etc) yet since other regionals in Texas might need to use it. I should have a better idea of when I'm able to release all of this soon (perhaps in a week). Sorry for the inconvenience! In the meantime, it looks like the Cobra test is on-topic and has some interesting image interpretation - certainly some good practice. Good luck at your regional this weekend!
Thanks, i found the cobra one helpful, more in tune with what we have been studying. hopefully our school will make it to the state and i can practice with your test for the state!

Return to “2019 Study Events”