Geologic Mapping C

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: TX

Geologic Mapping C

Postby Adi1008 » August 4th, 2018, 11:46 pm

Geologic Mapping C: Teams will demonstrate understanding in the construction and use of topographic maps, geologic maps, and cross sections, and their use in forming interpretations regarding subsurface structures and geohazard risks.

Geologic Mapping Wiki

Geologic Mapping Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2012 (NY Trial), 2013 (NY Trial), 2014, 2015, 2016

Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2015, 2016
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

ScottMaurer19
Division: C
State: OH

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Postby ScottMaurer19 » September 17th, 2018, 2:49 pm

How complex of a geologic compass do people recommend? What type of equal area stereonet should we use?
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019?
Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Total Top 3 Placements: 100

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » September 17th, 2018, 4:56 pm

ScottMaurer19 wrote:How complex of a geologic compass do people recommend? What type of equal area stereonet should we use?

Don't buy a geologic compass until before Nationals (for you, maybe State). The chances of it showing up at any tournament other than Nationals are very close to zero. Past Nationals questions involving the geologic compass only used it for a dip measurement, as far as I can remember.

I printed my stereonet off of the internet, although I was really bad at stereonets when I competed.

In case I've misinterpreted the second question (and for the benefit of others who may not know), the intended stereonet is the Lambert equal-area projection - for example, this stereonet.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby syo_astro » September 17th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Unome wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:How complex of a geologic compass do people recommend? What type of equal area stereonet should we use?

Don't buy a geologic compass until before Nationals (for you, maybe State). The chances of it showing up at any tournament other than Nationals are very close to zero. Past Nationals questions involving the geologic compass only used it for a dip measurement, as far as I can remember.

I printed my stereonet off of the internet, although I was really bad at stereonets when I competed.

In case I've misinterpreted the second question (and for the benefit of others who may not know), the intended stereonet is the Lambert equal-area projection - for example, this stereonet.

@Compass: Or try to contact a university? They might be far, but it can be an easier way to get a hold of one. They can also be incredibly expensive. You could also just use a regular basic compass (like http://www.libertymountain.com/SupplyIm ... 40x340.jpg), and try problems out with it as if it were the real deal (which should be fine if they just want you to measure strike and dip?).

Printing stereonets off the internet is fine! What Unome said is correct, but I'll add that it might help to have one that has the numbers, etc labeled (EX: http://www.yasareren.net/yasareren/ders ... reonet.jpg). Do search around, though.

Other things you'll need: See through paper (you can get tracing paper from art stores or online). Everyday paper is usually only semi see through or completely opaque. Whatever works, though, I've heard some use parchment paper (though, I liked the tracing paper when I did it...). You also want to get thumbtacks/pins with a flat bottom, like https://www.amazon.com/BAZIC-Brass-Thum ... B00KGDETJO but maybe could find a cheaper option.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Postby ScottMaurer19 » September 17th, 2018, 7:18 pm

syo_astro wrote:
Unome wrote:

@Compass: Or try to contact a university? They might be far, but it can be an easier way to get a hold of one. They can also be incredibly expensive. You could also just use a regular basic compass (like http://www.libertymountain.com/SupplyIm ... 40x340.jpg), and try problems out with it as if it were the real deal (which should be fine if they just want you to measure strike and dip?).

Printing stereonets off the internet is fine! What Unome said is correct, but I'll add that it might help to have one that has the numbers, etc labeled (EX: http://www.yasareren.net/yasareren/ders ... reonet.jpg). Do search around, though.

I'm assuming for compasses they would use a basic one. I would hope they don't have problems that would require of the expensive ones as that would definitely give an unfair advantage to some teams.

Would it be helpful at all to print out the stereonet on clear plastic? I'm not exactly sure what we use it for yet as I haven't really looked at past tests or anything.
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019?
Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Total Top 3 Placements: 100

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » September 17th, 2018, 7:24 pm

ScottMaurer19 wrote:I'm assuming for compasses they would use a basic one. I would hope they don't have problems that would require of the expensive ones as that would definitely give an unfair advantage to some teams.

Would it be helpful at all to print out the stereonet on clear plastic? I'm not exactly sure what we use it for yet as I haven't really looked at past tests or anything.

Yeahhh...when I competed we never even used compasses, and it doesn't sound like Unome did much either. But I recall it in the rules this year from skimming, right? It probably won't be a huge issue either way >.>.

It won't be helpful (to my knowledge) to print out the stereonet on anything special. Imo a lot of the tools necessary are mostly meant to be cheapish (though, I guess it stacks up b/c printing, thumbtacks, etc). To get an idea of what you'll be doing, you can check out a video like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5_3W-UrP8k (the videos used to suck when I did it in 2012...at least since 2014 I would hope they've improved >.>). There are various (hopefully now) better resources for actually understanding what a stereonet is / how to work with one, though.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy

pikachu4919
State: IN

Postby pikachu4919 » September 19th, 2018, 4:34 am

syo_astro wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:I'm assuming for compasses they would use a basic one. I would hope they don't have problems that would require of the expensive ones as that would definitely give an unfair advantage to some teams.

Yeahhh...when I competed we never even used compasses, and it doesn't sound like Unome did much either. But I recall it in the rules this year from skimming, right? It probably won't be a huge issue either way >.>.

It won't be helpful (to my knowledge) to print out the stereonet on anything special. Imo a lot of the tools necessary are mostly meant to be cheapish (though, I guess it stacks up b/c printing, thumbtacks, etc). To get an idea of what you'll be doing, you can check out a video like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5_3W-UrP8k (the videos used to suck when I did it in 2012...at least since 2014 I would hope they've improved >.>). There are various (hopefully now) better resources for actually understanding what a stereonet is / how to work with one, though.

Yeah, I did this event the last time it was around (and hated it soooooo much!) but I remember back then the rules said "stereonet and tracing paper," so I guess that meant you could print the stereonet normally like how you would print anything else and then when you actually use it, you would put tracing paper on top of it to do all the drawing needed to solve the problem.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

freed2003
Division: B
State: CA

Postby freed2003 » September 28th, 2018, 7:54 pm

Can someone link me to a good resource on how to solve three-point problems?
Also i cant find how to solve numbers 1-6 on this test:
https://scioly.org/wiki/images/f/fa/Pen ... g_Test.pdf
this figure is linked here
https://scioly.org/wiki/images/c/c1/Pen ... IGURES.pdf

may someone please explain?
Kraemer/Regionals/state
Microbe Mission 30/ /
Wright stuff 16/6/11
Dynamic planet 10/8/20(wot)
Road scholar 12/2/22(wot)
Wind power 31/1/4(wot)
Fast Facts 44//

OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Postby OrigamiPlanet » October 18th, 2018, 3:44 pm

On 3. c., there's something about "subsurface geometries," but I don't understand what exactly they are. Would somebody mind explaining what these are so I can look into it a little deeper? I just need to know what they are and the gist of it, no need for in-depth explanations. Thank you!
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Main Events For 2019
Exp. D.; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet; Astronomy;

WIP Specialties (No previous background whatsoever)
Geologic Mapping; Chem Lab

Email me for anything!

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » October 18th, 2018, 4:15 pm

OrigamiPlanet wrote:On 3. c., there's something about "subsurface geometries," but I don't understand what exactly they are. Would somebody mind explaining what these are so I can look into it a little deeper? I just need to know what they are and the gist of it, no need for in-depth explanations. Thank you!

I don't really know much about them, but they're the shape of folds/faults/etc. underground.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » October 18th, 2018, 5:58 pm

OrigamiPlanet wrote:On 3. c., there's something about "subsurface geometries," but I don't understand what exactly they are. Would somebody mind explaining what these are so I can look into it a little deeper? I just need to know what they are and the gist of it, no need for in-depth explanations. Thank you!

A few ways I used to think about them were (I haven't read the rules recently...so sorry if this is useless):
1) Identifying sub surface geometries in different geologic features and knowing how they "work" (this I think is what UTF is suggesting by looking at folds and faults...there might be others). In general, it's good to visualize each geologic structure as planes, lines, and points. So an example question to think about is: Can you spot the planar, linear, and point like aspects of folds? If you want some ideas for geologic *structures* that can be below the surface (sub surface), maybe look at relative age dating diagrams.
2) But this is also a mapping event! You should also know how to map, read, and understand these geologic structures (whether they are below or above the surface...and everything in between).
-The first way you can do this that I know of is with stereonets, which are all about mapping / noting information about geometric features (planes, lines, and points!).
-Another one would be "outcrop patterns" (the shape a structure makes from looking at a "top view" of the ground...you can maybe spot a fold or fault from a map, but how do we know how they look below the ground? How do you even know there is a fold or fault just from looking at a geologic map? This is how!). Note that "outcropping" I think has something to do with being visible on the surface.
-There are also "structure contours" (these are related to 3 point problems...they are contour lines that you use to usually connect the outcropping points of equal height for a single structure/plane)
-Lastly, cross sections are super common (they can be done with simple old topographic maps to see the shape of a mountain, but you can also use them with structure contours to infer how a structure or say a plane looks below ground).

OrigamiPlanet

Postby OrigamiPlanet » October 21st, 2018, 6:46 pm

syo_astro wrote:A few ways I used to think about them were (I haven't read the rules recently...so sorry if this is useless):
1) Identifying sub surface geometries in different geologic features and knowing how they "work" (this I think is what UTF is suggesting by looking at folds and faults...there might be others). In general, it's good to visualize each geologic structure as planes, lines, and points. So an example question to think about is: Can you spot the planar, linear, and point like aspects of folds? If you want some ideas for geologic *structures* that can be below the surface (sub surface), maybe look at relative age dating diagrams.
2) But this is also a mapping event! You should also know how to map, read, and understand these geologic structures (whether they are below or above the surface...and everything in between).
-The first way you can do this that I know of is with stereonets, which are all about mapping / noting information about geometric features (planes, lines, and points!).
-Another one would be "outcrop patterns" (the shape a structure makes from looking at a "top view" of the ground...you can maybe spot a fold or fault from a map, but how do we know how they look below the ground? How do you even know there is a fold or fault just from looking at a geologic map? This is how!). Note that "outcropping" I think has something to do with being visible on the surface.
-There are also "structure contours" (these are related to 3 point problems...they are contour lines that you use to usually connect the outcropping points of equal height for a single structure/plane)
-Lastly, cross sections are super common (they can be done with simple old topographic maps to see the shape of a mountain, but you can also use them with structure contours to infer how a structure or say a plane looks below ground).

That actually helps a lot! Thank you so much syo_astro! :D
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Main Events For 2019
Exp. D.; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet; Astronomy;

WIP Specialties (No previous background whatsoever)
Geologic Mapping; Chem Lab

Email me for anything!

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » October 24th, 2018, 11:23 am

For those interested, UGA posted their invitational tests, which include the Geomaps test that I wrote.

Link to tests folder

The high score was around 50 points, with the typical quick drop-off near the top.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » October 27th, 2018, 10:06 am

freed2003 wrote:Can someone link me to a good resource on how to solve three-point problems?

If you're still struggling with this, I posted a mathematical solution to a three-point problem in the question marathon.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » October 27th, 2018, 10:58 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
freed2003 wrote:Can someone link me to a good resource on how to solve three-point problems?

If you're still struggling with this, I posted a mathematical solution to a three-point problem in the question marathon.

That uses matrices? I remember only needing geometry to do it / no equation solving required...(not that your way is bad, I just mean that I suck at matrices:/)

Return to “Study Events”