Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

syo_astro wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
freed2003 wrote:Can someone link me to a good resource on how to solve three-point problems?
If you're still struggling with this, I posted a mathematical solution to a three-point problem in the question marathon.
That uses matrices? I remember only needing geometry to do it / no equation solving required...(not that your way is bad, I just mean that I suck at matrices:/)
Nah, it's just a quick way of solving a three-equation system. You can use elimination, substitution, etc.

You can also use geometry, but I like algebra more and suck at drawing :P
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
syo_astro wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: If you're still struggling with this, I posted a mathematical solution to a three-point problem in the question marathon.
That uses matrices? I remember only needing geometry to do it / no equation solving required...(not that your way is bad, I just mean that I suck at matrices:/)
Nah, it's just a quick way of solving a three-equation system. You can use elimination, substitution, etc.

You can also use geometry, but I like algebra more and suck at drawing :P
Drawing isn't necessary anyway, although with a graphing calculator matrices work just fine.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
l0lit
State: FL
Has thanked: 0

Post by l0lit »

freed2003 wrote:Can someone link me to a good resource on how to solve three-point problems?
I believe that Youtube is the best resource for this, simply because the powerpoints and textbooks available are very confusing without a professor to explain what they mean. One such video is here. Hope this helps!
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written
SciolyHarsh
Been thanked: 0

Post by SciolyHarsh »

Hey guys, I'm new to Geologic, and I was wondering if last years Dynamic materials would be useful for Geo?
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

SciolyHarsh wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to Geologic, and I was wondering if last years Dynamic materials would be useful for Geo?
Yep, but geologic mapping also has a bunch of other stuff involving maps, strike, dip, etc.
Snayhill
State: OH

Post by Snayhill »

Does anyone have any recomendations on how to start making a binder or what to start on
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Snayhill wrote:Does anyone have any recomendations on how to start making a binder or what to start on
You could check out the wiki, check out a past test and start trying to understand the questions, and/or start looking up info about every section of the rules.
Qu€€nMon€y

Post by Qu€€nMon€y »

Hey guys
I got placed into geologic mapping in my school tryouts and I have no clue where and how to start studying. Can anyone offer good sites to help me study? Also, do the soinc cds help?
Medal count: 1 :(
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Qu€€nMon€y wrote:Hey guys
I got placed into geologic mapping in my school tryouts and I have no clue where and how to start studying. Can anyone offer good sites to help me study? Also, do the soinc cds help?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:You could check out the wiki, check out a past test and start trying to understand the questions, and/or start looking up info about every section of the rules.
No clue about the CDs though. They're generally helpful, but I'm not sure about the Geologic Mapping one.
l0lit
State: FL

Post by l0lit »

Qu€€nMon€y wrote:Hey guys
Last year's dynamic planet covers A LOT of what you need to know, so you can find that in the wiki here. Thoroughly going through plate tectonics covers most of the geology that's tested. You can test your mapping by taking practice tests, and then looking up Youtube on what you don't know. And, as always, read the wiki.
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written

Return to “2019 Study Events”