Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » October 27th, 2018, 11:00 am

syo_astro wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
freed2003 wrote:Can someone link me to a good resource on how to solve three-point problems?

If you're still struggling with this, I posted a mathematical solution to a three-point problem in the question marathon.

That uses matrices? I remember only needing geometry to do it / no equation solving required...(not that your way is bad, I just mean that I suck at matrices:/)

Nah, it's just a quick way of solving a three-equation system. You can use elimination, substitution, etc.

You can also use geometry, but I like algebra more and suck at drawing :P

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » October 27th, 2018, 2:24 pm

syo_astro wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:If you're still struggling with this, I posted a mathematical solution to a three-point problem in the question marathon.

That uses matrices? I remember only needing geometry to do it / no equation solving required...(not that your way is bad, I just mean that I suck at matrices:/)

Nah, it's just a quick way of solving a three-equation system. You can use elimination, substitution, etc.

You can also use geometry, but I like algebra more and suck at drawing :P

Drawing isn't necessary anyway, although with a graphing calculator matrices work just fine.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

l0lit
State: IN

Postby l0lit » October 27th, 2018, 4:48 pm

freed2003 wrote:Can someone link me to a good resource on how to solve three-point problems?

I believe that Youtube is the best resource for this, simply because the powerpoints and textbooks available are very confusing without a professor to explain what they mean. One such video is here. Hope this helps!
List of compiled Science Olympiad tests here
* Others coming soon...

SciolyHarsh
State: -

Postby SciolyHarsh » November 4th, 2018, 7:53 am

Hey guys, I'm new to Geologic, and I was wondering if last years Dynamic materials would be useful for Geo?

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » November 4th, 2018, 8:27 am

SciolyHarsh wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to Geologic, and I was wondering if last years Dynamic materials would be useful for Geo?

Yep, but geologic mapping also has a bunch of other stuff involving maps, strike, dip, etc.

Snayhill
State: OH

Postby Snayhill » November 4th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Does anyone have any recomendations on how to start making a binder or what to start on

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » November 4th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Snayhill wrote:Does anyone have any recomendations on how to start making a binder or what to start on

You could check out the wiki, check out a past test and start trying to understand the questions, and/or start looking up info about every section of the rules.

Qu€€nMon€y
State: -

Postby Qu€€nMon€y » November 5th, 2018, 2:29 pm

Hey guys
I got placed into geologic mapping in my school tryouts and I have no clue where and how to start studying. Can anyone offer good sites to help me study? Also, do the soinc cds help?

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » November 5th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Qu€€nMon€y wrote:Hey guys
I got placed into geologic mapping in my school tryouts and I have no clue where and how to start studying. Can anyone offer good sites to help me study? Also, do the soinc cds help?

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:You could check out the wiki, check out a past test and start trying to understand the questions, and/or start looking up info about every section of the rules.

No clue about the CDs though. They're generally helpful, but I'm not sure about the Geologic Mapping one.

l0lit
State: IN

Postby l0lit » November 5th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Qu€€nMon€y wrote:Hey guys

Last year's dynamic planet covers A LOT of what you need to know, so you can find that in the wiki here. Thoroughly going through plate tectonics covers most of the geology that's tested. You can test your mapping by taking practice tests, and then looking up Youtube on what you don't know. And, as always, read the wiki.
List of compiled Science Olympiad tests here
* Others coming soon...

Flyingfish

Postby Flyingfish » November 11th, 2018, 10:20 am

Can anyone help me understand what a stereonet is? The rules say to bring one with tracing paper and pin, but I am just really confused in general about what it is/how to use it. From what I understand so far, it creates some type of projection, but how do I get one and how do I use it? Does anyone have any good resources on this?

Thanks!

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » November 11th, 2018, 10:25 am

Flyingfish wrote:Can anyone help me understand what a stereonet is? The rules say to bring one with tracing paper and pin, but I am just really confused in general about what it is/how to use it. From what I understand so far, it creates some type of projection, but how do I get one and how do I use it? Does anyone have any good resources on this?

Thanks!

A stereographic net is a piece of gridded paper that helps you project a sphere (the Earth) to a plane (a map).

Some hepful links:
http://maps.unomaha.edu/Maher/GEOL3300/lab/lab5.html
https://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/fileadmin/D ... nets_1.pdf

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby syo_astro » November 11th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Flyingfish wrote:Can anyone help me understand what a stereonet is? The rules say to bring one with tracing paper and pin, but I am just really confused in general about what it is/how to use it. From what I understand so far, it creates some type of projection, but how do I get one and how do I use it? Does anyone have any good resources on this?

Thanks!

A stereographic net is a piece of gridded paper that helps you project a sphere (the Earth) to a plane (a map).

Some hepful links:
http://maps.unomaha.edu/Maher/GEOL3300/lab/lab5.html
https://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/fileadmin/D ... nets_1.pdf

I remember that second link, I found it really useful! There are also two posts I made on the first page about this.
See: viewtopic.php?f=285&t=12238#p359155 (pointing out youtube has lots of great examples for the process looks like *in practice*)
See: viewtopic.php?f=285&t=12238#p359151 ("Printing off stereonet" and "Other things you'll need" for examples of what to get)

I'm of the view that you shouldn't get all flustered with "projections" and all the vocab at first. It IS the fundamental concept and helps you think about maps and such, but I hope this helps on the "where to get it and use it" side. You might still have to know some minimal vocab like "plotting a plane with a strike and dip", but I think those are a lot more doable starting out.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Chikoo10

Postby Chikoo10 » November 13th, 2018, 9:07 pm

What is meant by "major structural elements" in the rules? What topics would this cover?

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby syo_astro » November 14th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Chikoo10 wrote:What is meant by "major structural elements" in the rules? What topics would this cover?

Fantastic question! I think I went into this a little (like just one bullet) on the last page when discussing that there are "different geologic structures" and how you have to think about them *geometrically*: viewtopic.php?f=285&t=12238#p362289

There I discuss how different "structures" exist in geology (e.g. folds, faults, beds of rock, etc), and you can characterize different features or parts of these structures by their *geometry* (into planes, lines, and points). Unless I'm mistaken, the different geometric features are typically called "structural elements". I found folds were a good way of showing how a common geologic structure can be broken up into these different parts (you can search for "fold elements", "fold structure", etc and hopefully see examples and diagrams of this). Beyond this, I believe "geology structural elements" can be googled.

Are these explanations confusing / do you still not know what to look for? I wasn't sure, did this explain "what topics would this cover"? Hope this helps!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “Study Events”