Fossils B/C

isotelus
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by isotelus »

kate! wrote:What exactly do we need to have information on for the section labeled "Adaptations and morphological features of major fossil groups"?
Basically, you need to know the anatomy for major groups, like it says. For example, commonly asked questions are to label the parts of trilobites, or know the different ammonite patterns.
SLHS '23
Nba2302
Division: C
State: MN

Post by Nba2302 »

What would be a good way to find the differences of the trilobite? :?:
isotelus

Post by isotelus »

Nba2302 wrote:What would be a good way to find the differences of the trilobite? :?:
Just compare the 5 of them and look for things that are always unique to that genus. For example, a telltale sign of Calymene is the body looks like three columns of rows of mac n cheese. A sign of Cryptolithus is the lace collar around the head, along with the genal spine (search up Cryptolithus anatomy if you don't know what those are).
SLHS '23
Girlpower05
State: MI

Post by Girlpower05 »

In rule 2a it says you may bring the Science Olympiad Official Fossil List, but I constructed a list that had all of the fossils on one page, so am I allowed to use I, or do I have to use the exact list that they provided?
hippo9
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

Girlpower05 wrote:In rule 2a it says you may bring the Science Olympiad Official Fossil List, but I constructed a list that had all of the fossils on one page, so am I allowed to use I, or do I have to use the exact list that they provided?
You can have literally any material that fits in your binder so that's fine, but I would bring the official list just in case.
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

hippo9 wrote:
Girlpower05 wrote:In rule 2a it says you may bring the Science Olympiad Official Fossil List, but I constructed a list that had all of the fossils on one page, so am I allowed to use I, or do I have to use the exact list that they provided?
You can have literally any material that fits in your binder so that's fine, but I would bring the official list just in case.
The official list is rather helpful anyway
isotelus

Post by isotelus »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
hippo9 wrote:
The official list is rather helpful anyway
You can have anything in your binder. However, bringing the official list is very useful because you can keep it out of your binder during the competition, unlike anything else in a station event setup (probably the most common version of ID-based events).
SLHS '23
venusaur711

Post by venusaur711 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:It's finally back! :) I see they added lots of fun fossils like sharks and molluscs and three new dinosaur genera. Can't wait to compete in this event!
I can't wait to do it this year!
embokim
State: NY

Post by embokim »

Nba2302 wrote:What would be a good way to find the differences of the trilobite? :?:
I love getting trilobites because in my opinion they are free points for ID'ing.

Cryptolithus has the very long lace sweeping structures coming from its frontal lobe.
Eldredgeops has the rough surface on its headshield.
Calymene is almost pointing where its segments get gradually smaller.
Elrathia is a little tricky just because depending on the specimen the tell tale part can be covered, but normally where the long lace sweeping structures would be on Cryptolithus, Elrathia has almost two shorter pointy protrusions coming from the headshield.
Isotelus is pretty easy just because it is pretty symmetrical, it possesses a pretty prominent head and tail shield which pretty much gives it away.
Happy to be here
isotelus

Post by isotelus »

embokim wrote:
I love getting trilobites because in my opinion they are free points for ID'ing.

Cryptolithus has the very long lace sweeping structures coming from its frontal lobe.
Eldredgeops has the rough surface on its headshield.
Calymene is almost pointing where its segments get gradually smaller.
Elrathia is a little tricky just because depending on the specimen the tell tale part can be covered, but normally where the long lace sweeping structures would be on Cryptolithus, Elrathia has almost two shorter pointy protrusions coming from the headshield.
Isotelus is pretty easy just because it is pretty symmetrical, it possesses a pretty prominent head and tail shield which pretty much gives it away.
This is very true. Once you know the trilobites, it becomes fairly easy to ID them.
SLHS '23

Return to “2019 Study Events”